So Paddington
$288
$279
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 27, 2004

There are two good things about the Warwick Hotel - the price and the location very close to Paddington station. But having said that, there is heaps more accommodation nearby and it would be worth paying a little extra.

The staff are uninspiring, though we had no particular complaints. There are no lifts, so be prepared to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs. The passageways are littered with suitcases of unknown origin. Our room was adequate, but very small. The shower was so small it was difficult to get in and shut the door. A continental breakfast was included in our room rate, but since it's nothing more than juice and all-you-can-eat toast, we gave it a miss after the first morning.

Given the abundance of other accommodation in the area, you would do well to give this one a miss.

7  Thank StevePER
Evanston, IL
Reviewed March 13, 2004

The Warwick offered us excellent and comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price (?42 for a double room with en suite shower and TV) in a GREAT neighborhood in London. Warwick is easy walking distance from the Paddington Station (take the express train from Heathrow for ?15 or take the Piccadilly Line to the Paddington Tube stop). there are five to ten excellentr restaurants nearby, including a couple nice pubs. one can easily access Hyde Park, where I jogged four mornings during our stay.You want luxury? This ain't the place. We slept there, bathed there and ate breakfast there. All met out expectations for sleeping, bathing and dining. Besides, what kind of moron wants to stay in your hotel room when one is in London???

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SF, CA
Reviewed February 27, 2004

Avoid this hotel! I have stayed in several small, budget hotels throughout Europe, so I expected a small room, to have narrow stairways, etc. But this hotel was quite dirty--everything in the room was stained, from the walls to the carpet to the bed linens and mattress--and not just a little bit, it was disgusting. There was a thick layer of dust in the furniture and the cup in the toothbrush holder in the bathroom was caked with paste. Even the tiny soap bar had dirt on it. The soap dish was coming off the wall, the curtain could not be opened and was black and stained, and the walls were paper thing. Most disturbing, the staff insisted on cash payments for rooms even though a sign clearly says they accept credit cards. They were not friendly at all, there is no clear reservation system, and the hallways are littered with luggage--the same bags for days, you have to walk over some to get to the rooms. This place was disgusting, it did not feel safe at all, and I was very uncomfortable. Better to spend a few pounds more on a decent room anywhere else, a room that is not filthy in a place that does not make you nervous. Friends stayed here as well while I was there, and we all had the same experience with the rooms and staff. One woman in particular was called by the front desk staff when she was obviously alone in her room, apparently he wanted to check up on her! (scary!) On another day, when she returned to her room, she found cigarrette butts on her bathroom floor. What is going on in this place, we all wondered. Stay away from this hotel! There are other options, same location, that seem much better.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 1, 2004

When I booked a hotel on-line for my recent trip to London, I was mostly concerned with location and price. This was my first trip to London and with lots to do and see in the city, I knew beforehand that I would be spending very little time in the hotel room. The hotel is one of the many small hotels that are in the two buildings that line the square near Paddington Station. For price and location, the hotel met my expectations. However, if you prefer to not "rough it", this hotel is not for you. There is no lift in the hotel and I had to carry my heavy luggage up a narrow stairway to the 6th floor. The room was extremely small but clean. Furnishings were equal to that of a dormitory in that the room was not fancy nor comfortable. The attached bathroom smelled as if the sewer system vented directly into the room.
Despite these things, I was little bothered. I was mostly irratated with the lack of "pleasantness" with hotel staff (all from countries outside the U.K.) and surprised to find that they appeared to have little concern that my stay at their hotel would be a pleasant one. The hotel does serve a continental breakfast each morning on the lower level that consists of toast, cereal, coffee and juices. I would stay at this hotel again, if I was seeking price and location. However, there are other hotels on the square that offer the same ...and they have a lift!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MS
Reviewed November 18, 2003

I chose to stay at this "hotel" based on a few things, including having a soft spot for the name and reviews here and on other sites. Boy was I wrong! Yes, it is in walking distance of Paddington Station, but besides having nothing close by, the hotel itself is a joke. The man at the desk allowed me to take my bags up to my room on the 2nd floor (in the US, that would be the 3rd floor). There is no lift and after a long day of flying, I was exhausted. I got to the room by walking around clean towels on the floor that "housekeeping" had out to clean the floors. My room had peeling paint and they would need to do much more industrial type cleaning to call this place clean. I was traveling alone and just had a bad vibe about this place. On the way up to the room, I had to maneuver around suitcases and bags that other guests had left probably after checking out. They were easily accessed and I could probably have taken anything that I wanted. I grabbed my bags and headed back down to reception to hear the man at the desk yelling at someone on the phone about a package delivery. I waited several minutes to his tyrade and finally, when he got off, I told him that I was not staying. He asked if I wanted a different room, but all I wanted was another hotel. I was charged for one night (I still have to double check my credit card to make sure that is all I was charged for) and went across the street to a store with Internet access and booked a room at the Kensington Close Hotel. I now know that saving money certainly doesn't mean everything.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member