WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #955 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“couldnt wait to leave.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I wasnt expecting the ritz for the price i payed, the only good thing was how close the hotel is to paddington station.The girl on reception was helpful, but the man was very unhelpful we told him that the window in the room wouldnt stay open and he looked at me has if i was mad,said he would come up to the room to fix it and suprise suprise never turned up, We had to wedge it open with a mug that was in the room.The room could of been cleaner, The bathroom a complete joke was more like a cupboard could barely bend to clean teeth and door into it only opened about a quarter of the way and hit the cracked sink.There was no bedside cabinets.We spent 2 nights there and the bed wasnt changed after 1st night just remade half heartedly.The whole place looks like it needs a makeover, we didnt use the kettle in the room to make tea or coffee has the kettle was dirty and put us off.We spent has little time has possible in the room found it realy depressing, and to top it off we went down to the basement for breakfast on the narrow and steep stairs and the door opened inwards at the top very dangerous.The cereal is kept in open bowls for you to help yourself with no lid so my cornflakes had gone soft i never bothered with breakfast there on the 2nd day. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked this hotel, then read the reviews. I was dreading what I would find on arrival. True it is a five storey building with no lift, and true the continental breakfast is served in the cellar.
On arrival we went to reception to book in and the receptionist was pleasant and gave us the key to our room. (thankfully we were only on the second floor) The room was very small and basic, there isn't a picture on the web of it. It was very warm and on opening the window we discovered that it would not stay up on it's own so we propped it up with a mug from the tray. The bed was well used but still comfortable and the sheets were clean, the bedspread was tatty with quite a few holes in. The Ensuite was very small with a tiny cracked sink which was impossible to use except for brushing your teeth. The shower was old but useable. It was also very noisy with creaking floor boards above. The continental breakfast was very poor but as it was in with the price and not an extra it wasn't worth complaining, not that it would have been any good as the girl serving was not interested in whether you ate or drank!
Anyway would I recomend this hotel.... Yes I would, but only if you can't afford anything better. It was Ok for the price, it is in London after all. It is very convenient to the tube station and you can walk to all London's attractions from here (if you like walking)

Room Tip: Phone ahead and request a room that is advertised
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Upon arrival I was greeted by a very unhelpful man who couldn't be bothered to show me to my room and left me to struggle with my suit case up the stairs. When going in to my room it was nothing like the pictures advertising on line. There was a horrible stench of drains which smelt like sewage!! The room was far from clean!! The window didn't close properly there were holes in the carpet the room was very half heartedly so say made up each day if thats what you could call it!!and upon returning to my room on the final evening of staying I found coat hangers and my clothing thrown on the bed and to find the wardrobe had been moved out!! Upon checking out there was no one to take my key or even voice my complaints to!! The service and standard of this hotel were diabolical!! I wouldn't EVER return to this hotel even if you paid me!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Bexlola
Orewa, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

A friend booked this hotel and I was very disappointed with it, but I supposed it was cheap
The room was very small and no room to move around.
No chairs just 2 single beds pushed together, and a very small wardrobe
We had to put our suitcases at end of bed and keep stepping over them
Bathroom was in a cupboard very small
Breakfast was in the cellar, just continental, with no fruit
I asked for blanket and was given a heater!!
Central heating didn't come on till late eventing
Our window looked on to a big brick wall ad couldn't pull the curtains
Will not go there again

Room Tip: Couldn't find one
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Europe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel was not my choice since it was booked through a company I was associated with and since it was only for one night, I didn't protest much nor did I look it up online prior to arriving. On second thought, even if I did, the photos are so misleading it wouldn't have made any difference. We arrived very late because of a tight work schedule, and the fist surprise was waiting for us at reception. Even though we had a booking confirmation stating that the room was already paid in full, we had to pay it again. Ok, mistakes happen. Going up an old set of narrow stairs with a big suitcase was a challenge, you kind of expect that in these old buildings, but finding you room number proved to be an even bigger one. Then the real shock, the room. Tiny, no room between the bed and the closet, no room to place your suitcase and open it (except the bed), and a carpet has clearly seen better days (CSI would have their hands full here, I was actually imagining them going over the room with an UV light). Bathroom left little to be desired, I was glad I had a pair of flip-flops in my bag. Bed was...how should I put it ... obviously used too many times since once you lay down, there is no was you can turn in any direction, you're just kind of stuck wherever you fall.
After a 12 hour working day, all any of us could do was laugh (after the initial feeling of anger and desire to fire the secretary who booked the hotel passed).
I cannot complain about the staff, they were pleasant and polite or comment on the breakfast since I had a very early flight, but I was sure glad to get out of there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank danni30
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is terrible!!!! The room was extremely small - even there were no place to put luggages. The bathroom was also tiny and awful: sink was broken, shower cabin was old - looked like 25 years, there were mold on the ceiling. Everyday we had problem with hot water. They switch on the heating only at night - around 11/12 p.m so at evening was cold in the room!! What is more between the window and the wall was 1 cm gap. The pictures on the website don't reflect the actual room!!! Certainly it's not a 3 stars hotel - more like 1 star. I wanted to talk with the manager but during 7 days she didn't come to work at all. Other guest told me that they have never seen her. It was ridiculous that receptionist was trying to reach her by phone but she didn't answer!!! The only good thing there was really helpful reception staff.

Room Tip: don't take room in the basement, there is no lift, the best room is number 12
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maria C
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a bit of a backpacker / student establishment and although rooms are clean it's a bit tatty and tired. Sheets clean and room small but towels thin and nothing flash. Finding some rooms is a bit of a mission as signs to rooms don't detail all the rooms in that direction just those immediately behind the door.

Room Tip: No lift I saw but if you know where to go it's fine taking a trolley dolly up to the third floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business