“Mixed Experience”

Ranked #404 of 1,089 Hotels in London
SMG701
“Mixed Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a hotel which has a number of positives, which is then sadly detracted from by issues that are solvable. The hotel is generally clean. Breakfast is decent. Good location and decent value in the context of other hotels nearby. We received an upgrade upon checking in.

However, there are some problems. The mattress on the bed was hard and uncomfortable and the shower head was so low that it was at the level of my neck.

We made our booking on the website, and our receipt clearly recorded the fact that there were two of us and that we had pre ordered a bottle of water, which is specifically provided for on the website. There was no water in the room when we arrived save for the mini bar. We telephoned reception to ask about this, specifically making referring back to our booking and I don't think the member of staff was able to understand the point being made. They told us to drink the minibar water. On check out, we were then told we would be charged for the mini bar water, notwithstanding the fact that it was more than the pre-order and the fact that we had called to ask specifically about it. It then further transpired that despite our booking stating that water had been pre-ordered, this communication had not made it to the hotel, hence why no water was in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear SMG701
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. I appreciate all the feedback that we get and we will go through the feedback on a daily basis as it helps us to improve the experience for future guests.
I am pleased that overall you had a good stay and the hotel has lived up to your expectations. I have taken your comments on board and I would like to give you my sincere apologies for these hiccups. We have spoken to the reservations team about getting these small details. We have also checked all the websites that we advertise on to make sure that none of them state this without prior agreement.
In regards to the bed we have Hypnos beds in all of our rooms that are less than 3 years old. We are looking at Matteress toppers that will give us some flexibility as to the firmness of the bed. Obviously everyone is different when it come to a desirable firmness and we want to cater for a wider variety of tastes.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
Email: byron@mornington.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed at hotel so so many times in many rooms they are great, no dirty floors or walls just a fresh new look that London hotels need. Breakfast is nice and when you have a child the breakfast staff are so help you in every way they can , they are the best and friendly when you get to know them , so thank you Elle Pires. PS 3 minutes walk to Hyde Park in the summer what more do you want book here I know all London hotels in this area this is the best.

Room Tip: Choose rooms 409,410,411
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mayfairmutts
It is very good to get positive feedback and know that we meet your expectations. I am very lucky to have a team that are passionate about ensuring all of our guests have a great stay
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on business. Location was pretty good....about 12 minutes walk from Paddington station and a half block from Hyde Park in a decent neighborhood. Plenty of buses shooting straight towards Oxford street (8 minute ride) so location was also convenient for some speed shopping. Didn't see any restaurants in the immediate area. Staff were very friendly and almost robotic-efficient. Rooms were pretty spacious for London, but also quite basic. I got a standard single whereas my friend got a suite....the single was much better.....the suite had a weird loft setup which felt claustrophobic. Breakfast was excellent and worth the money. Overall the place was fine.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kono 14
Thank you very for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor. We appreciate all the feedback that we get as it is the most useful tool we have to improve the stays of future guests.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. If you get a chance I would love to hear what else we could add to the rooms to make them less basic. We are continually looking for new and innovative ways to give guest a better experience.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

It's a great hotel.The location is good, besides the hyde park and near a metro station.every day cleaning.The breakfast is tasteful. I recommend a direct booking from the hotel's site, is cheaper and the breakfast including (i didn't know it..)

Dear Thalia
I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found the best rate on our website. We have just introduced the new breakfast incentive where you get a free breakfast when you book directly with us. It is proving very successful the team are delighted as we get to have more people having breakfast each day
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Nice helpful staff, good price (for London) and lovely reception area. Lovely location - I managed an early morning run by the Serpentine. Only grumble having to pay full whack for breakfast when I only wanted toast and fruit. But will go again!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Philperrett
Dear Philperrett
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about breakfast, We do offer a discounted rate if you wish to purchase prepaid breakfast vouchers and we will look into what other options we can offer.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 7 nights. Staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast buffet excellent. Dining room staff always ready with a warm, friendly greeting. Location in London is excellent, it is situated on a quiet street, a block away from Hyde Park, and close to Lancaster Gate tube station. The room was clean and bright. We had an excellent stay in London and would stay again at this Hotel. My thanks go to all the staff.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jane T
Dear Jane T
I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the breakfast that you had. Our breakfast is very important and the team are very passionate about ensuring that our gues’ts get a great start to the day.