“Great deal for price we paid through Hotels.com”

Best Western Mornington Hotel
Ranked #417 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Great deal for price we paid through Hotels.com”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here during August. We were pleased with this hotel based on the price we paid. Staff were very helpful and accommodating with our ongoing requests for ice, restaurant recommendations and directions to places. Hotel is close to Lancaster and Paddington stations. A great cafe right behind the hotel that we went to in the morning for a full English breakfast. Rooms are not big but if you have been to London or other European cities this is common unless you wish to pay a lot more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Beadle_07
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Beadle_07,
Thank you for your positive comments on Tripadvisor. All the feedback we get through tripadvisor helps us to improve the service and experience that we give to future guests.
I am delighted that you found our hotel to be great value. We constantly review our prices to ensure that our prices are lower than similar standard hotels in the area.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Yours sincerely
Email: byron.wilson@mornington.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here in July during London heatwave. The hotel appears to have been recently refurbished. Our double room on second floor was clean front facing with quiet cool air-conditioning - a must for London in Summer. Breakfast buffet was good and the service very helpful. Complimentary wi-fi worked well. Tea/coffee equipment available but no mini-bar fridge.

Hotel is in a quiet central location one street back from busy Bayswater Road with Lancaster Gate Tube station 3 min walk away and 10 min walk to Paddington Station (Heathrow Express) 10 min walk or Queensway restaurant strip. Very pleased with our three night stay and would recommend the hotel to any one looking for 4 quality at 3 star prices.

Room Tip: Room 202 is front facing with cool quiet air-cond. Very clean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher S
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Christopher S
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the service that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very grateful for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel was clean and is conveniently located just 2 blocks from Hyde Park and if you enjoy walking, which we do, you can walk to all of the main landmarks including Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, 10 Downing Street, etc. The rooms were extremely tiny. My husband and I stayed in a room with a double bed and there was about 2 feet on either side of the bed and only about 4 feet at the foot of the bed. A small desk was tucked into a little cubby hole and there was a small bathroom as well.

There was a raised threshold into the threshold and my husband and I both almost tripped over it multiple times. I was surprised zoning allowed it, definitely seemed like a safety hazard. Shower head came lose and flew off while I was showering. Had to call to get room service clean our room.

Not the place to go if you are looking for any amenities or creature comforts and I wouldn’t wanted to have stayed there for more than a night or two, simply because of the very tight quarters.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear tripadvicefromme
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. We take all the feedback we get very seriously as we use this as our key tool to improve experience that we can give to our future guests. We go through all the reviews posted on tripadvisor and on other booking websites daily with the leadership team with in the hotel.
I am very sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We have updated all the websites that we are listed on to include the room sizes as we have had comments about this before. This is a common complaint from people new to London as Like New York and Paris, the Rooms are generally smaller here than you would expect in a more modern city. Our Double rooms are on average 13.5 square metres and our twin rooms are on average 16.6 square meters. For savvy bookers I would recommend booking a twin room as all these rooms can have the beds linked thus you get a slightly larger room with a super king sized bed rather than the queen bed that we have in our doubles.
I understand your comments about the threshold. This was something we looked at when we refurbished the hotel. On the balance we decided to keep these as it would prevent floods from spreading into the bedroom.
In regards to your comments about the Amenities and Creature Comforts, we upgraded all the amenities and towelling last year to give our guests a better experience. If you have the time to drop me a line I would be interested to know what else you would expect at a four star hotel,.
Once again please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Kind regards
Kuopio, Finland
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is in a very convenient location near the Paddington Station and Lancaster Gate underground station to travel to/from Heathrow and around London. Next to Hyde Park, but the street is not the busy one. Friendly and professional personnel. Good breakfast although if you prefer just a small breakfast there are sandwich bars nearby with smaller price. Bed was excellent. I was glad there was no carpet in my room. Iron and ironing board, water kettle in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear osopequena
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am very grateful for all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the service that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel is situated in a very good location. It is a walking distance from Hyde Park, bus stops, Paddington train station and away from crowds. The front desk and also the breakfast staff were genuine and friendly. The hotel itself is quaint, comfortable and nice. Our kids liked it but would also be perfect for couples. I give it a thumbs-up and would certainly recommend it to friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WILL L
Dear WILL L
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We take all the feedback we get very seriously as we use this as our key tool to improve experience that we can give to our future guests. We go through all the reviews posted on tripadvisor and on other booking websites daily with the leadership team with in the hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Staff here is very friendly. Breakfast is great! A lot to choose from. Room I had was lovely. Yes, small, but I've seen smaller :) Seriously!
BUT - my God, my room was close to the elevator and this is the loudest elevator ever! Whenever it stopped on my floor there was around 5 (or more) second long ring which in the middle of the night sounds like it will never end. It's simply horrible. And when someone is entering room next door it sounds like someone is trying to open your own door. Not pleasant at all.

But bottom line; I'd stay here again but I'd make sure to get a room as far away from the elevator as possible. OR - I'd bring my own ear-plugs!

Room Tip: Ask for room as far away from the elevator as possible!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Katarina D
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I appreciate all the feed that that we get as it helps me improve the experience that we can give to our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the elevator and we have silenced the floor announcements and the beeps so that it will not disturb anyone else.
I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here last week. The hotel has a great location near many tube stations and the Paddington trains. And I felt safe returning to the hotel at night alone.
Mr Wilson, the general manager, was extremely prompt and helpful in sorting out my enquiry about available rooms, even offering me an upgrade when rooms became available. Would definitely stay here again.

Tjoa Shze Hui, Singapore

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank shzehui t
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear shzehui t
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the service that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very grateful for your recommendation of our Hotel and location.