“Very pleasant stay, wonderful location”

Best Western Mornington Hotel
Ranked #417 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Kentucky
“Very pleasant stay, wonderful location”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife, son, granddaughter, and I very much enjoyed our recent stay the Best Western Mornington Hotel. It is very near Paddington Station and a short walk to the Central Line at Lancaster Gate for easy access to anywhere in London. Plus, it is a short walk to Hyde Park. The rooms are quite comfortable and staff were very friendly and helpful. A delightful breakfast is available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KentuckyTraveler40
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear KentuckyTraveler40
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience on Tripdavisor. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the service that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and also the breakfast.
Email: byron.wilson@mornington.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The rooms for single occupancy (probably all on the 5th floor) are outlandishly large - by Japanese standards.

Commensurate with this dollhouse scale, the bed widths are roughly that which you may have experienced had you been supine in a field hospital during WWI.

But, come on in, let’s actually key-in to Room 504. Watch your step – with one foot in the door, your mid-sized Samsonite will hop over the threshold and propel itself, like a bowling ball, into the desk - in immediate view to the left, provided your fingering for the light switch has hit home.

Once the light kicks in, the eye zeroes in on the over-sized tomb-like projected extension of a closet. A short distance below, the surprisingly large cabinet underneath the desktop - which you gleefully anticipate will house a minibar, replete with contents which will help chamfer the edges of a freezing, snowy pre-spring night in the British capital, turns out to offer nothing more than a lone coffee-maker, which bears a light patina of dust, prompting immediate mental queries regarding the point in time of its last use.

Indeed, how to use this contraption may prove to be another mystery. In the entire room, I could find only one electrical power outlet, basically, at baseboard level, to accept that clunky, 3-prong UK plug, meaning that, given the coffee-maker’s short power cord, I could position it only on the floor. Glancing at the ceiling in disbelief, all that was missing in this constellation was an outdoor, crackling fire to complete what was beginning to feel like a camping experience.

Oddly, the room didn’t seem to have a wastepaper basket – now, that was first, but eventually, I discovered it cowering behind the side of the closet, like a household pet confined for a prolonged period within a home and “losing it” in back of the living room couch.

Then, there’s the shower, which we travellers know is the essential litmus test of any hotel room.
The water delivery, initiating with a deep-throated cough/belch, as if Pavarotti were hitting a new tonal low, sputtered and sprayed - yet that is more or less standard in many standard category UK hotels which sport rooms beyond a first floor.

This factor is not wholly esoteric - it is merely something we have come to expect, and ditto the Doctor Jekyll/Mister Hyde swings in the water temperature, which can, alternatively, produce third-degree burns or flash-freeze certain body parts, beyond just giving one a cold shoulder. You, dear readers, get it.

And then - not to forget - there is a thing with the maids/room cleaning service, whatever. These ladies really want to do a quick room vacuum and get the h--- outta Dodge. So, expect, a rap on your door at 07.30 (?!). You can try the traditional route the - "Do Not Disturb" - lassoed on the outer door knob - but don't expect it to work.

So, you may ask, is there anything good about the hotel?
Yes, the Wifi worked in the room. No, seriously, it worked.

Beyond this distinctive feature, there is something of a “decoration” library with semi-dusty volumes, some of whose spines broadcast spine-tingling thrillers in those screaming, jagged French fonts popular after the war. However, kudos to the photographer of the large format, framed black & white photographs of distinctive scenes in the surrounding areas.

But you’re not staying in this hotel for the faux library. Sure, the single rooms on the 5th (top) floor are quiet, but a shoebox (abbreviated at that) for 100 quid a night?

Yet, we must remember, in terms of hotel lodging in this nation’s capital, price/performance is not something which will give you anything close to sweet dreams. Or something to write home about.

Good night, Morington.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Saizen
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Saizen
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. We take all the feedback we get very seriously as we use this as our key tool to improve the property. We go through all the reviews posted on tripadvisor and on other booking websites daily with the leadership team with in the hotel.
Whilst the team did find your review entertaining and quite humorous we were also disappointed that we did not live up to the expectations that you had of us. As such I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the team.
We have taken your comments on board. In particular we are currently looking at how we can install electrical plugs above the desk in the last few rooms that do not have them.
I have noted you comments about the size of the wardrobe, desk and the placement of the Rubbish bin. Whilst the room design and layout is not to everyone’s liking we have endeavoured to make it as appealing as possible to the widest possible market. We will keep you comments for when we review the design.
I will be staying on the fifth floor to check the water pressure and the temperature consistency within the next weeks. I have stayed on all other floors and so far I have not found any issues with the temperature consistency or the pressure. However if we do find an issue we will work with the building engineers to get this resolved.

Once again I am very grateful for your detailed review of the hotel. I hope that you will return when you are next in London.

Kind regards
Sedgwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My second stay here, and deliberately chose to return as had a good experience first time around. Could and should have been very good - but was allocated a basement bedroom (room 23) which was very small and claustrophobic. Also had the disadvantage of being adjacent to the delivery entrance which was in use at 6.30am! A pity, because there are lots of good things to say about this hotel - friendly staff, good breakfast, all immaculately clean...and superb location just by Hyde Park.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear GH-york
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. As a listed heritage building all of our rooms are different shapes and sizes, I understand that room 23 is not to everyone’s liking we aim to call all guests within 5 minutes of getting to the room to ensure we have met their expectations. I apologise that ton this occasion we did not do this.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do to make this right for you as we would like to welcome you back again.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was fine but at about 8.30am the room next door was cleaned and hoovered. Having been slightly annoyed by this at 8.55am I then had a knock on the door by housekeeping to which I duly declined still trying to sleep. To my amazement 35 minutes later another knock on the door, housekeeping again!
I made my disappointment felt to the receptionist which was met with an oh i see.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Dan C
I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We encourage all of our guests to display the Do not disturb sign when required so as to avoid any confusion.
Please let me know if there is anything we can do to make this right for you
Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope that you will consider us when you are next in London.
Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

This best western is conveniently located on a few mins walk form Hyde park and the local central line underground station. When Approaching the hotel don't be deterred by the sloppy facade as we were, the hotel assured us they were "under renovation". This being said the inside of the quaint getaway was sleek and modern and a classical city 4 four star. Reception was helpful and the baggage storage room was a nice touch. The room itself was spacious enough with all the amenities one would expect from such a establishment and we enjoyed a very comfortable stay. Would recommend for tourists, families and businessmen alike.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christopher M
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Tripadvisor. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the experience that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comment about the building next store. We have successfully lobbied the council to have the outside painted. This has now been completed. They still have the ground floor boarded up to prevent access as the building is currently empty. We are continuing to push to have the building finished.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.
Western Norway, Norway
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have stayed at Mornington a few years ago in a very small room on the backside of the hotel.
This time we had a room on the 3rd floor frontside.
(We were told by the receptionist they would try to find us an other room this time, if we were not happy - but this time we found the room excellent)

Our room was medium sized and looked fairly "new" with an updated bathroom.

Facilities:
The free WiFi worked fine in our room. Internet was slow only once in the bar area.
(At some hotels in UK we have paid up to 12£/day for WiFi !)

There is a computer avaiable downstairs next to the breakfast area, but we did not use it.

The LCD TV was wallmounted on an adjustable bracket, which worked fine for us.
Coffee & Tea + a water-boiler under the desk.
Hair dryer in the desk.
Safe + Iron + ironingboard in the closet.
Comfortable beds.
Large towels + shampoo, etc i bathroom.

Staff:
Of various nationalities, but the reception staff all spoke good english and was smiling and helpful. Some of the cleaning/maint. staff spoke less english, although it was not a problem.
The breakfast-staff was very busy, but also smiling and attentive.

The breakfast-buffet was ok with a reasonable food selection.

Location:
The location at Lancaster Gate is perfect for a stay in London.
Very close to the Underground (Lancaster Gate). 3 mins. walk
Very close to Kensinton Gardens & Hyde Park entrance. 3 mins walk
Close to Paddington station. ~ 10 mins walk.

Minor things could be improved :

Water from our shower ended up on the windowshelf. A plexi-screen would prevent this.

Smoking was outside in front of the hotel. Each morning the pavement was littered with sigarette butts (although it was cleaned every day).
The reason is : The ashtray was small, wallmounted and hidden behind a big flowerpot.
A small place for smokers to sit outside would be nice !

We probably would use this hotel again because it is value for money and there are no negative surprises.

Room Tip: Ask at the reception desk :-)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear T3T
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the service that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your recommendation. I have taken note of your comments and we are now looking into how we can cover the window sill in the bathroom.
Suffolk
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A great location for central London. Nice area. About 200 metres from Lancaster Gate tube station which is on the central line. The hotel reception is welcoming and nicely decorated. The staff friendly and helpful. We stayed for one night and had a double room which was well equipped and clean. There was a shower but no bath. We had a very comfortable stay and were not disturbed by any noise from within or in the side street outside.
I enjoyed a good breakfast in the morning and found the selection to be varied and most tastes (continental and cooked) catered for ...even marmite!
I would definitely stay here again and think it's good value for central London.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sophia000
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. I value your feedback as it allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and i appreciate your recommendation.