“Good quality stay in a fine location”

Best Western Mornington Hotel
Ranked #397 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This best western is conveniently located on a few mins walk form Hyde park and the local central line underground station. When Approaching the hotel don't be deterred by the sloppy facade as we were, the hotel assured us they were "under renovation". This being said the inside of the quaint getaway was sleek and modern and a classical city 4 four star. Reception was helpful and the baggage storage room was a nice touch. The room itself was spacious enough with all the amenities one would expect from such a establishment and we enjoyed a very comfortable stay. Would recommend for tourists, families and businessmen alike.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Christopher M
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Tripadvisor. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the experience that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comment about the building next store. We have successfully lobbied the council to have the outside painted. This has now been completed. They still have the ground floor boarded up to prevent access as the building is currently empty. We are continuing to push to have the building finished.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have stayed at Mornington a few years ago in a very small room on the backside of the hotel.
This time we had a room on the 3rd floor frontside.
(We were told by the receptionist they would try to find us an other room this time, if we were not happy - but this time we found the room excellent)

Our room was medium sized and looked fairly "new" with an updated bathroom.

Facilities:
The free WiFi worked fine in our room. Internet was slow only once in the bar area.
(At some hotels in UK we have paid up to 12£/day for WiFi !)

There is a computer avaiable downstairs next to the breakfast area, but we did not use it.

The LCD TV was wallmounted on an adjustable bracket, which worked fine for us.
Coffee & Tea + a water-boiler under the desk.
Hair dryer in the desk.
Safe + Iron + ironingboard in the closet.
Comfortable beds.
Large towels + shampoo, etc i bathroom.

Staff:
Of various nationalities, but the reception staff all spoke good english and was smiling and helpful. Some of the cleaning/maint. staff spoke less english, although it was not a problem.
The breakfast-staff was very busy, but also smiling and attentive.

The breakfast-buffet was ok with a reasonable food selection.

Location:
The location at Lancaster Gate is perfect for a stay in London.
Very close to the Underground (Lancaster Gate). 3 mins. walk
Very close to Kensinton Gardens & Hyde Park entrance. 3 mins walk
Close to Paddington station. ~ 10 mins walk.

Minor things could be improved :

Water from our shower ended up on the windowshelf. A plexi-screen would prevent this.

Smoking was outside in front of the hotel. Each morning the pavement was littered with sigarette butts (although it was cleaned every day).
The reason is : The ashtray was small, wallmounted and hidden behind a big flowerpot.
A small place for smokers to sit outside would be nice !

We probably would use this hotel again because it is value for money and there are no negative surprises.

Room Tip: Ask at the reception desk :-)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear T3T
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate all the feedback that I receive from our guests as it helps me in improving the service that we can give our future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your recommendation. I have taken note of your comments and we are now looking into how we can cover the window sill in the bathroom.
I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

A great location for central London. Nice area. About 200 metres from Lancaster Gate tube station which is on the central line. The hotel reception is welcoming and nicely decorated. The staff friendly and helpful. We stayed for one night and had a double room which was well equipped and clean. There was a shower but no bath. We had a very comfortable stay and were not disturbed by any noise from within or in the side street outside.
I enjoyed a good breakfast in the morning and found the selection to be varied and most tastes (continental and cooked) catered for ...even marmite!
I would definitely stay here again and think it's good value for central London.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sophia000
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. I value your feedback as it allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and i appreciate your recommendation.
I look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in London.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, it's a street behind the one looking onto hyde park but the trees means that makes no difference. A small, cosy room - not for people who like space but well furnished, comfortable bed and modern bathroom, all the facilities you need; TV, wifi, desk, cupboard, ironing board. Friendly and helpful staff with Gym and restaurant (although there are many other places to eat nearby). a 3 minute walk from the nearest Tube and Hyde park on your doorstep, what more can you ask for?

Room Tip: SOme of the high floor rooms have good views - 6th floor, and book in advance to get the best tare
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RikTNC
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear RikTNC
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. All the feedback we receive allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is unfortunate that due to the size of the buildings in front of us we do not have direct views into Hyde Park. However I do believe that for an inner city London Hotel we have a good outlook and I am pleased you enjoyed it.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you when you are next in London.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed with my girlfriend for 6 nights during February 2013. The hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood near Hyde Park close to the Lancaster Gate metro station. The staff was always very nice and helpful and the room was small but cozy. The only issue we had with this hotel was that though the wifi was free, the signal was really poor on the 4th floor, this however was a small inconvenience since they have a computer available near the breakfast area and the wifi signal in the lobby was ok. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin S

Dear Martin S
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be of great value. I have noted your comments about the wifi signal on the 4th floor. We have had the system checked by an engineer to ensure that he signal is strong in all areas of the hotel.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Perhaps I was lucky looking for a reasonably priced hotel in central London...perhaps it being a Sunday helped ??
I got to the stage of avoiding staying in London if at all possible due to too many bad hotel experiences.....but fret no more.. I'll be looking for this one again in the hope that I can once again get a decent hotel for under £120 per night.

Room Tip: Not too close to the lifts !!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rob S
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be of great value. We are constantly reviewing our price so that we can ensure that we remain great value. If you check our website you will find the best prices we have on sale and we always ensure that off peak periods are very competitive.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Just got back was a lovely hotel, very clean excellent customer service. All the staff were very helpful and polite. Room adequate ours was small and compact, down side plug sockets in the wardrobe and although there was tea n coffee making facilities in the room it was in the cupboard as that's where the socket was. Compact ensuite with shower. Towels fluffy and really soft. Heating controls in the room added benefit. Close to Hyde Park and a short walk from Lancaster Gate tube station. Nice comfy bed, plump pillows. Lift to all floors.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Mumboss90
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the plugs. We are currently surveying the rooms to see what rooms need this issue addressed as plug sockets are now very important to travellers.