“My best experience for the price in Paddington” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel

BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Lancaster Gate | Westminster, London W2 3LG, England   |
Ranked #352 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“My best experience for the price in Paddington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel looks as though it was remodeled in the recent past. Taking into account the room rate, it beats the other similar hotels (about 6) in the Padding area where I have stayed. The staff is great and although I passed on breakfast, my traveling companions said it was good. You can walk to Padding station in about 8 minutes and there are plenty of places to eat and drink. This is a thumbs up hotel across the board for me.

1 Thank jimg1812
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear jimg1812,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback helps us improve our performance and meet the expectations of future guests.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very grateful for the positive comments about the staff and hotel
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
Email: byron.wilson@mornington.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed for 4 days from 7th to 10th of Feb,Really close to the lancastergate tube which was great,Greeted by friendly staff Hotel was tastefully decorated inside ,,although the room is a tad small it was extremely clean and bed was very comfy ,great power shower, and room was modernly decorated...We thought the breakfast was a bit pricey especially taking the euro exchange into consideration ,so we didn't eat breakfast there,other than that had a lovely stay and would certainly stay there again if I was heading back to London for a trip....

Room Tip: W were on the ground level ,very quiet ,no problems whatsoever...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear clojoireland
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand your feelings about the price of breakfast. We are reviewing our breakfast prices at the moment and have found that we are cheaper than all other 4 star hotels in the area. We will however take your comments into consideration when we make our final decision.
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at the Mornington for one night during a work trip. The hotel is in an excellent location, a couple of minutes away from Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate station. The WiFi is free, not very reliable but good enough to get work done.

The staff initially gave checked me into a room in the basement, next to the breakfast hall. The room was very cramped, the hallway smelt dank and the window opened at street level, which made me feel unsafe.

Fortunately, there was absolutely no fuss made when I requested a change of room. I guess they must be used to negative reaction from their guests. And I was moved into a room on the first floor, which was quite the contrast. Although a bit small, my first floor room was up to the mark. And there is nothing to fault here.

I am happy to recommend this hotel, just make sure you avoid the basement room. In all honesty I don't think the hotel should offer these to guests.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the basement, it is claustrophobic and dank.
1 Thank A A
Dear A A
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests as well as providing an unbiased summary of the hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand your feelings about the Family room on the lower ground floor. Due to the layout of the building this was the only area it was feasible to provide enlarged rooms suitable for multiple guests. I am pleased that you appreciated being moved without fuss. We endeavour to meet all of our guest expectations and this can mean we need to move people from rooms we have allocated
In regards to your comments about the internet, the slow speed was due to a faulty router limiting speeds when more than 25 people were connected. We have replaced the router and the internet is now working with an average download speed of between 8-12 mbps
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Location: AMAZING! Within a five minute walk to the Lancaster Road Underground station (which is about 15 minutes from London Victoria). It can be a touch confusing walking from the subway station the first time you get there - so make sure you write down the directions carefully. There is a pub and convenience store nearby - for some late night goodies.

Rooms: I stayed in one of their smaller rooms. It was quite tight... but if you spend most of your time outside the room, it's perfect to just come back to for sleeping. The room was very well updated and took me by surprise. Very clean. Quietish - I'm a heavy sleeper so I didn't notice much. The walls are a bit thin - but, like the size of the room and hotel, quite typical for London standards.

Staff: The staff were helpful; nothing spectacular.

Amenities: The Wi-Fi is AWFUL. It will work - but so exceptionally slowly - that it will take a while to get through.

Room Tip: The basement rooms are more than 50% underground. Something to think about if that bothers you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Chauve-Souris-Voyage
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the internet. The slow speed was due to a faulty router limiting speeds when more than 25 people were connected. We have replaced the router and the internet is now working with an average download speed of between 8-12 mbps
Aalborg, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Mornington boasts they have free wifi, which is technically right. However, it's completely impossible to do any tasks online and you have to refresh constantly to get webpages up.
I would rather pay for a decent wifi connection instead of a crappy free connection.

The hotel itself is clean and my room isn't noisy at all. Staff is friendly and rooms are nice and clean.

The location just across from Hyde Park is nice as well. There are a few cosy cafes and restaurants just behind the hotel.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Morton V
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted that internet aside you enjoyed your stay with us. In regards to the Internet we have fixed the speed of the internet. We had a faulty Router that was slowing down the connections. We are once again providing complimentary high speed wireless internet to all of our guests. Today the download speeds were coming back at 12mbps.
I hope that now the internet is fixed you will return to us when you are next in London.
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here one night since I needed to be close to Paddington.
Room was quiet facing the backyard and the bed comfortable. Yes, the room was small but for a short stay that is ok. Short walk through residential neighbourhood to Queensway with lots of restaurant.
Reception staff swift and friendly.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Byron W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mornington Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear MarieMalmo
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your comments help us improve the experience for future guests by letting us know what was good and what needs to improve.
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you will stay again when you are next in London.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked a double room with a bath. Well, we got a a small bath OK but the room was really a single room with a double bed in it. The bed was right next to the window so that would have meant one person had to climb over the other to get in and out of the bed. I complained immeadiately and we were given a much better room with a shower.
The breakfast was quite good however there was no warm plates to put the cooked breakfast on.
The staff were all friendly and efficient and the hotel was quiet.
I have stayed in hundreds of hotels world wide. This one was rated as four stars but felt more like a three star to me.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a room with a bath as these tend to be the smaller rooms in the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear 7csailer
I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expecatations. We have rooms of veering sizes. I am pleased that we were able to find a room that was suitable for your requirements. I would like to know what else we could do to meet your expectations of a 4 star hotel.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope to welcoming you back when you are next in London.