“Great location, generally nice + little gym!”

Best Western Mornington Hotel
Ranked #407 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Good:
Great location, within a short walk from Paddington station as well as different tube lines. Two minute walk from Lancaster Gate tube and 30 seconds from Hyde Park. Small free exercise room open 24 hrs. Great! Very comfortable bed. Great wireless internet (free). Got a very good deal so great price/quality.

Bad:
No minibar or water in the room. Room was very small (but good effort in decoration) and the window was tiny, so the room felt a little claustrophobic.

Room Tip: I believe the further up you go, the smaller the windows in the rooms, so try and avoid the top floo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear ground_otter
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your comments let me know what is really important for our guests. And what we need to focus on.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the mini bars. This was a decision that we made when we refurbished the hotel not to put them in every room as the usage was quite low and they took up valuable space. We are collating all the feedback to ensure that the decisions we made when we refurbished are still correct or we need to readdress the issue.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I hope to welcome you back when you are next in London.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

It might be rated 4 stars, but is actually more of a 3-star place. Rooms are small and ackward. Bathroom is dark, almost impossible to shave in such poor light. Room colors are dull and uninspiring. There is no mini-bar, although there is a kettle for coffee & tea, albeit not even a single bisquit to go along.

Staff are nice & friendly which, along with nice location, is the only thong that seems to save the day.

Wom't recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Ceeaxp
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I appreciate the feedback as it gives me a real picture of the experience that our guest have with us and what I need to do to improve that experience.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate that the style and design of the hotel is not to everyone’s taste.
In regards to our 34 star rating we have been accredited the 4 stars independently by the AA who audit the Hotel on an annual basis and award the star rating based on the results against criteria that is set by them.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

When you arrived into the hotel a big smile wait you...it's friendly. We go to the room (408) oh my good it's very very smal bedroom, no possible to turn around the bed, only two chains on the tv but excellent badroom. I'm dissapointed by the noise (ventilation or not) we didn't sleep!. Breakfast is fantastic. Choice your bedroom before to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Yvandesfrites
Thank you for taking the time to share the recent experience that you had with us. Your feedback is important as it allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests.
I am delighted to hear that you found our service to be friendly and the Breakfast to be excellent.
I have noted your comment about the noise in your room and I am looking in to why the Kitchen extract appeared to make so much noise.
I hope that you will treat this as a one off and not what you can expect from the Best Western Mornington Hotel.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Chose the Mornington because it was in the area we wanted to be in and it is situated close to the tube and Marble Arch. We are reward card holders, which allows us to book in earlier than normal, so we had phoned the evening before to say we would arrive at around 12.30. We actually arrived at 1p.m. We tried to check in, but our room was not ready. The reception staff had put a Blue flag on the system but Housekeeping had ignored it. After a long conversation with houskeeping, we agreed that a half hour wait would be OK. In the meantime two men walked in and were booked straight into their rooms!! At 1.45 we were finally told our room was ready. Hurray. We have never had this problem with the other Best Westerns that we have stayed at.
The room was the one shown on the Tripadvisor front page and was very nice. However, I did not like the panel of glass in the bathroom door, even though it was frosted. Not very private I thought.
I also woke in the morning feeling very cold as as there is no double galzing on the windows. Perhaps in the winter there should be heavier curtains to compensate.
After a reasonable breakfast we checked out and mentioned the late access to our room. Charlotte could not aplogise enough, but the other girl with her made excuses about them having 45 checkouts on that morning. I am afraid that is just an excuse and Housekeeping were not taking note of their instructions. I would have been OK with this, if we had not previously phoned and asked if we could check in early. There is a lack of communication within the Hotel. Otherwise, we found charlotte extremely polite and pleasant and we will stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor at the front of the Hotel and would suggest that you try for one of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aitchraz
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear aitchraz
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it identifies the areas where we can improve the experience for future guests
As I mentioned in the reply that I sent you at times it is not possible to check people in Early as the previous guest has not left. We will always endeavour to get the room ready as early as possible. However the only way to guarantee and early arrival is to book the room for the night before.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found charlotte to be a valuable team member.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel was a reasonable price and convenient for the night. Check-in was quick and within 5 minutes I was in my room. It was a spacious double, with a compromised size bathroom (they give you big bath towels but it was so small they nearly reach both sides of the room). The bedroom decoration was good, well kept and very comfortable for the night.

The bathroom door frame ledge was interesting and I could envision a few toes hitting it hard in the middle of the night. The bathroom was clean, but I did notice a few strands of hair and used soap in the shower which isn't great, but overall it was clean and tidy.

The last reviewer said their room had been too warm - I obviously had a different room and they had all mine, as it was continuously cold. Even after messing with the air-con for 10 minutes, I still could only get cold air - I'm sure 22oC is warmer than I experienced.

Didn't take the breakfast as its always cheaper to eat at the cafes nearby.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Byron W, General Manager at Best Western Mornington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Fision
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted you comments about the step into the bathroom. We do this to prevent leaks. As yet we have not received any feedback that someone has hurt their foot but it is something we thought of and monitor.
I am disappointed that you were unable to get the most out of your AC. We are focusing on leaving the AC units at the right temperature so they do not need to be changed. However they are individually programmable so you can change it if required. If you have difficulties again please contact reception and they can assist.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was a very clean hotel, comfy bed, nice shower, better than any similar priced hotel in that area that i have stayed in, the breakfast is a bit expencive when there is a lovely cafe round the corner doing a better breakfast for half the price, the room was to warm, had to sleep with the blankets off, and the window was loose and ratled in the wind all night, but on the whole we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: try to get on a low floor as the heat rises and it get to hot
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear 2560Rusty
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback allows us to make the right decisions to improve the experience for all future guests and also provides travellers with an unbiased review of the hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments about the windows. As a heritage building we have some challenges with the Sash windows that we are working to improve.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed as a family, I chose this hotel as it was withing walking distance of Hyde park winter wonderland. I do not like using the tubes so we got a taxi from Liver pool street station wich was £24. Return journey £27. We stayed on the first floor and the room was lovely. My boys found the bedroom a real novelty as it was on an upper floor with in the room with a gallery stair case. It really was a lush room, with 2 Tv's. There was plenty of room and everything was spottless. I had the sofa bed wich was very comfortable. We all enjoyed a very good nights sleep and a lovely breakfast in the morning. All staff were very helpful and gave excellent customer service. We plan to visit Winter wonderland again next year with other family members. I did not hesitate in recommending this hotel to my family. So we shall certainly be visiting again. Hopefully we will manage 2 nights next time rather than the 1. So we can enjoy the hotel more. Don't hesitate to book, you will not be dissapointed . Even if some of the rooms are a little small as some reviews state, Its a lovely hotel and I myself feel its the staff that makes a good hotel and create returning guests. Much more important than a large room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear 372wiz
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us and for giving us your recommendation.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Once again thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London and I hope that you can stay longer with us next time.