“Great location, but could do with some renovation”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #705 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Have stayed twice at this hotel now - both times purely for location, and for that, almost (ALMOST) worth the price! The staff are friendly and polite, no complaints there. The rooms are small, almost verging on tiny, quite clean though not overly comfortable. First time I went the room stank of cigarettes, but the staff quickly changed my room when I complained. Breakfast is not bad, with cereal, toast, ham etc but on the other hand there's a free coffee/hot chocolate machine which you can use 24/7. A charming detail is the old-style lift.

In short; the Americana is not a bad place to stay if you need to stay in central London, but don't expect anything special.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Fantastic four night stay at this hotel! We couldn't believe how great the location was, and direct buses to key attraction sites of London! It's a quiet but very central area. We booked through Travel Republic and managed to get it much cheaper than other sites.
The hotel was very clean and cosy. Our room boasted a (free) safety deposit box, hairdryer, shampoo, and shower gel. Staff VERY friendly, after checking out, they said we were welcome to leave our bags without charge, come back to freshen up, and help ourselves to free coffee/tea (the machine is free for guests to use 24/7). There's a lift (a lovely old-fashioned one!) and free Wifi.
Overall a great stay, just what we were looking for. Will be back and will recommend it to all our friends!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank VeraM54
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A very tired hotel with tiny rooms. They only serve a cold continental style breakfast so don't expect a good old full English, just cereals & toast etc.
All staff were pleasant enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan2802
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was relieved to find a hotel in this location on short notice, still paying London rates but not as audaciously as other brand names in the area. The rating and (most) reviews gave cause for optimism.

Upon checking in I had to carry my bags up a flight of stairs as the elevator stops at the 3rd floor. Fine, it's London - small rooms etc are the norm although this felt almost Parisian with the do-it-yourself double sliding doors to fit into the tiny elevator.

Unfortunately my room was not even close to acceptable. I would have been better off in a hostel to be quite honest, and Ive stayed in many a lot more presentable than this. My room was absolutely freezing - I kept my coat and scarf on for around 30 minutes, while I checked that the windows were closed and the heating was on max. It was. I got so cold in the room, combined with the completely shabby look (see pictures) that I decided to pay for another hotel on the same night. Ive never done this before but I knew I would never sleep properly in a room like this. Possibly the most negative experience Ive had in a hotel to date (and I travel a lot).

The owner offered me another room but having already seen a glimpse of another I politely declined as I'd had enough, and walked to the tube to travel further out to another hotel. Expensive night but at least I slept ok in the end. Having done quite a bit of research I have to say the price didn't reflect the quality at all; if it had appeared as a very low-budget option I would have been less surprised. However it is listed as a 3-star option on various booking websites.

I have no idea if the other floors are in better condition; the lobby was basic but seemed absolutely fine, so perhaps you can be luckier than I was.

Overall I'm sorry to write such a negative review about someone's business, but clearly the owner needs to ensure the entire hotel is kept at some form of minimum standard. I've never written a review like this before, as I normally wonder about reviews I see with such low ratings. I think in this case its entirely justified. Hope they get their act together in the near future.

Room Tip: Cannot understand the positive reviews, so presumably do not accept a room on the 4th floor, not lea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Past J
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel was excellent value given the price and location. It is staffed 24 hours per day with very helpful and friendly staff. We would definitely stay there again and recommend to others. Close to main line and tube stations and walking distance to various attractions. On edge of Regents Park.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Di H
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Booked this hotel at special Gala Hotels rate of under 50 pounds/nite. Great value for that rate. Friendly 24-hour reception' free wi-fi at lounge; good spread of breakfast. Queen bed room I got was cramped (not sure of configuration of others) with only enough space to walk around the bed. Bathroom and toilets were also minimal size but they were clean so can't complain for that price. Stay was during 2nd week of January 2013.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janzzzlee
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed 2 nights .It was very nice they have a beautiful breakfast .Which is very impotant for us .Sleeping at your hotel is wonderful and the entire staff are very nice and good kindly Bus station for your return is 2min walking down the street Glochester place. 3 min walk to Baker street metro station and Main bus stop of Hop-on Hop-off tours. Close to many pubs. Hotel is not 3 star - rooms are extremely small with old furniture. Good cleanliness. Nice breakfast. There are free coffee and tea at any time whish is really good. My global opinion

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business