“Nice afternoon tea”

The Mandeville Hotel
Ranked #171 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The place has got a very nice bar and lounge for cocktails and afternoon tea served in a nice bone china set. They also have gentlemen tea wich is more meaty;) downstairs the red room is available for private parties. Very central, not crowded and not so much expencive!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Mandeville Hotel

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Prior to booking I read all the reviews here and so when I booked I crossed my fingers that I would not have the negative experience that several of the posters had. I also booked through a site that provided me with a free upgrade, continental breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, so I was incredibly pleased when the hotel honored all of these extras that came along with my booking. All of the hotel staff was friendly and pleasant to interact with - from the front desk to the bellman to the restaurant staff. I asked for a room on a higher floor away from the busy street and was pleased with both my room and its placement in the hotel. No issues with noise from the street. Room was a good size (especially for central London), bed and pillows very comfortable, and I was impressed with how clean the room was overall. Nice powerful air conditioning, TV with somewhat limited but enough channels, wifi was not fast but not as slow as some of the other reviewers made it sound. Perhaps my room placement had something to do with my not having issues with wifi speed. Really enjoyed having a Nespresso maker in-room - as an American I was not bothered by the lack of in-room tea. Continental breakfast was nicely done with all of your standard items, though in all honesty I would not have paid for it if it did not come as part of my rate. Hotel location is absolutely wonderful!!!! Bond Street tube is a few minutes walk away, so many delightful restaurants, coffee shops, shops nearby. I will definitely consider staying here again upon my next trip to London!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I was staying for two nights for a business trip and it is all about location location location. The hotel is clean, staff is competent and helpful and the place hits all the basic marks for a 4 star location. Breakfast was above mediocre but nothing great. Good service though.

Staying on the second floor there was a lot of noice from the hall way. Better sound insulation to the door would be much apperciated.

The beds could be better, I was staying in a single room, and the mattress was crushed or otherwise poor. when you turn to the side, the bed does not give proper support. Also there is no Iron or board in the room, I had to ask for those. What I got was a 19th century clunker but it did the job.

The free wireless was on occation unbelievably slow and for some reason the wired connection cost 20 pounds a day. I would have apperciated also better tv channel coverage.

I would not choose this place with my own money, but for business it does the job.

Room Tip: take a room in a higher floor away from the elevators to avoid noice.
1  Thank hughman83
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

"Room very small and Front of House staff grumpy and unfriendly. Good service in the Restaurant and Bar, even if I did not have any cocktail. Breakfast can be really busy but staff is attentive and courteous. I had Egg Royale and the Hollandsise sauce was delicate and the egg was almost perfect although a bit runny. However, the manager was always around making sure everyone was looked after. Definitely a central location, good quality food and excellent service.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank siymonad
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stay here when in town on business. International clientele well-served by attentive staff in lounge, restaurant, and front desk. Rooms can be tight depending on where you are in the hotel. The location is great. Many things within easy walking distance. About a 9 GBP cab fare from Paddington.

Room Tip: Rooms that front on Mandeville place are roomy, but lower floors are noisy - traffic all night. Bac...
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed three nights on a summer sale rate, continental breakfast and free Wifi included. Bread, croissants, various pastries, toast on demand, fruit, cerials, juice, tea and coffee. We had a fairly large twin room facing inwards which offered quiet nights. Otherwise you don't go to London to enjoy a large hotelroom! Sockets for both UK users and for the rest of Europe. Safe, hairdryer, minibar, toiletries like schampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion. Wonderful staff and perfect cleaning. What more can one ask for?

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 13, 2014

That's the rooms I'm talking about - but then it's hard to find a decent sized room in London.
The decor is lovely, with Nespresso maker, mini-bar and a tiny but beautifully presented bathroom with nice toiletries - even a decent phone. The air conditioning was also very effective.
We found the service to be excellent. When we asked about larger rooms we were taken to three others, but decided to keep ours as it had corner windows, so was nice and bright. Also one of the phones wasn't working and was quickly replaced.
The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, and the receptionist actually spoke to us by name as we walked past.
There is a nice bar / lounge area and the restaurant looked nice although we didn't eat there. There are special drinks & nibbles offers on which seemed good value.
The real bonus of this hotel is its location, set one block back from Oxford St and just a short walk from Bond St tube station. The shops and restaurants of St Christopher's Place are across the street and it is lovely to sit there when the weather is good.
It was very hot when we were there and I discovered that there are deck hairs for hire in the parks.
This is a lovely way to enjoy outdoor space - so pack up a picnic and enjoy! I'm usually on business, so it was a bonus to spend an afternoon like this.
To sum up, I reckon that in the price bracket of this hotel you couldn't really go wrong staying here.