“Excellent location...no tea in rooms!”

The Mandeville Hotel
Ranked #183 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent location...no tea in rooms!”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

A week ago I stayed at a hotel near the marble arch and this week I stayed at the Mandeville. Though the latter is smaller, I preferred this hotel to the other one. Staff are very friendly, they take a genuine interest in you & your comfort. Concierge services are great too. Best thing is that it is located right in the center of Marylebone high street & James street and in both directions there are loads of good restaurants, shopping, supermarket, etc. It is also 4 mins walk from the Bond St tube. Only drawback is that there is no tea making facility in the room. So tea drinkers like myself either have to order room service in the morning and drink tea at the bar at night or go out and buy some from the nearby cafes. I am not a morning person so I had to order room service tea for the 4 mornings I stayed here. Such a shame, but it is what it is. I find it bizzare that in a tea drinking country, a hotel does not provide tea facilities. Hmmm...anyway, recommend this hotel for those who want to be in the middle of the London action.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed at the Mandeville for two nights for a leisure break with a friend. Excellent location close to Bond street tube station. Room was very well presented, clean and tastefully decorated with a large bathroom which had a bath and a separate shower. All staff were friendly and very helpful when we asked for route advice. Very good bars and restaurants in the area which adds to the attraction of The Mandeville. Our package included buffet continental breakfast which although adequate was very limited in choice of items which was disappointing. What was offered was of good quality but a better choice especially of fruits and breads would improve the breakfast. It is possible to buy cooked items which did look very appetising but I am not aware of the cost. Some reviews complain about noise when staying in the rooms at the front of the hotel. Our room was in the front and we were not disturbed by any noise. I would defiantly choose the Mandeville again due to the high quality of the hotel and staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here just 1 night for a couple of days of shopping in London. The hotel is situated in a great location as it's just a stone's throw away from Bond street tube station and the shops on Oxford street (if you're a bit of a tube novice like me it was easy!). The hotel room was lovely, very clean with lots of hot water. My biggest complaint is that there were no tea making facilities in the room, only espresso. We did enquire into this but were told it was £7 for two teas on room service. There are however several coffee shops and restaurants nearby so we opted to walk and get takeaway tea for a fraction of the price! Also be aware that there are a few additional costs... we were charged £24 to have the 2 twin beds rather than a double and there is a discretionary service charge automatically added to your bill. Despite a few niggles we would definitely consider staying again as the positives outweighed the negatives!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sweden
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Mandeville is perfectly located for a shopping weekend. It is located just off Oxford street in a very quiet and nice area. Between the hotel and Oxford is a nice little square with restaurants and cafés.

We tried the afternoon tea with free flow champagne at Mandeville which was just perfect. We got the cutest little sandwiches and pastries - and of course champagne at mass. Next time in London, I'll choose the Mandeville again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Ok, so you're paying top dollar to stay here BUT the location pays for itself! So close to wonderful cafes, oxford street! The hustle and bustle of the city.
I spent 3 nights here and would have loved to stay more. The rooms are small, but we paid a bit extra to get a sitting area, king bed and large bathroom - view nil.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went here for a change as it seemed very good value and a great location. On arrival staff were nice, our room made us laugh as it was so small...however cleverly and nicely decorated and was clean, we weren't in the room for long so size did not bother us. The bar staff were great and the barman made us an amazing Chocolate cocktail. Our stay was spoilt when after shopping we left a Hugo Boss bag in the room with an unopened scarf my husband bought me was taken from our room, along with the receipt which was with other and would have to been looked for, none of my other bags were taken. I know I shouldn't have left the bag out, I was out of the room early and my husband also didn't think to hide anything. I have lived and visited in London over the last 20 years and have never come across theft, ever. I was told by housekeeping she didn't know what she could tell me, her girl doesn't remember a bag and is crying however once I mentioned Police I was called very quickly by the MOD, helpful, non committal and refunded me the cost of my scarf to our room as we had to leave before the store opened to replace my scarf. I would never stay here again, theft spoils tourism for cities and London is great and has so much to offer, but do not go here, if its cost a premier inn may not be as beautifully decorated but they may screen staff better but I would pay a bit extra from now on and stay in the better hotels. Sad end to an otherwise lovely anniversary weekend.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank K27414
PhilipMenke, Operations Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2015
Dear raymonds457,

Many thanks for returning to The Mandeville Hotel. Your review is much appreciated, and I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

With kind regards,

Philip
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We love afternoon tea and so I thought I would try the Mandeville for a change. I must admit I was not impressed with the decor very dark and dingy! The service was excellent and our waiter was wonderful kept topping our glasses up! Unfortunately the sandwiches let them down! The bread was not nice and not much filling unfortunately. The bonus was that the cakes were wonderful though so that was good. Also the tea was great. The waiters did not rush us so that was nice but when we left there a little bit "tiddly" we were still hungry so ended up going for dinner! That has never happened before to us as we are always so full after Afternoon Tea. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Did not stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends