“Well located, but tiny room”

The Mandeville Hotel
Ranked #191 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sao Paulo, SP
“Well located, but tiny room”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Staff is very friendly, hotel is well located, near many restaurants and cafes. Do not expect lots of space in the room. I stayed in a double and there was not enough space for two little pieces of luggage. Although the bathroom is well appointed, you must take care when taking a shower not to flood it. In my opinion this is unacceptable in a hotel of this category.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luciana M
Maurice Fabian S, Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Luciana M,

We are delighted that you have taken the time to give us your feedback.

Thank you for pointing out the issue that you have discovered in the shower, I have advised the Engineering team who will resolve the issue.
On your next stay at the Mandeville Hotel you could try one of our more spacious Deluxe rooms which you might find more suitable.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance with any future bookings in one of our Deluxe rooms.

We are looking forward in welcoming you back.

The Mandeville Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A big thanks to the Mandeville Hotel for making our 10th wedding anniversary so special. The hotel room was beautiful, very modern, extremely clean and comfortable. All the staff were polite and very helpful especially the concierge who arranged a great booking and amazing meal out at a local restaurant. I would recommend the Mandeville to everyone for its great rooms, fabulous service and perfect location to bars and restaurants which are all in walking distance. Thank you so much.

Pete and Shelley

Room Tip: If you want to get a better view try the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete E
Dear Pete E,

Greetings from the Mandeville Hotel.
We are delighted to read about your recent experience with us at the Mandeville Hotel.
Once more we would like to thank you for choosing the Mandeville Hotel for this very special occasion and we hope to have the pleasure in Welcoming you back for your next Mandeville experience.

Devon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is an extremely nice hotel in a good central position particularly suitable for shoppers with Selfridges and Oxford Street a short walk away. The rooms are very comfortable, well equipped and spotlessly clean. Wonderful beds and bedding ensure a good night's sleep. Superb bathroom with walk-in shower and handrails in all the right places. Everything is ideal for elderly or partially disabled guests. The staff are universally friendly and efficient; in particular, the concierge's department provides a service by which all others should be measured – the staff cannot do enough to assist you.

It is such a nice hotel that I am reluctant to make even minor criticisms but I should repeat a couple of points which other guests have mentioned. An arbitrary service charge (about £4 per room per night) is added to your bill. Personally, I do not grudge this as it applies to the bedrooms which are immaculately cleaned and serviced; a service charge of 12.5% is added to meals and drinks in the bar so you only have to consider the excellent concierges and doormen for personal recognition when you leave (and they are worth it!). The other little niggle is the price of breakfast – £17.50 for a continental breakfast so on the one morning I had breakfast in the hotel it cost me £17.50 for one croissante and a cup of coffee! I could have eaten a lot more of course. Bar prices are high but service is professional with superb cocktails if you wish. There was a very fancy coffee maker in my room which I did not use and would, frankly, have preferred a traditional hospitality tray with tea-making equipment.

Having got these few beefs out of the way, I would repeat – this is lovely, excellently-managed hotel where the staff are happy and helpful and you are assured of a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a de luxe room if you can afford it as the standard rooms are a bit on the small side (Centra...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank IainGDevon
Maurice Fabian S, Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear IainGDevon,

Greetings from the Mandeville Hotel.
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us at the Mandeville Hotel and I would like to Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your experience.
We are indeed very fortunate to be so centrally located and nearby a variety of London's finest spots such as the famous Wallace Collection.
I would just like to add that the optional service charge is £3.00 per room per stay which may of course be removed upon request. We believe that it makes tipping easier for a lot of people, but we will of course take your comments into consideration.
I would like to apologies for the Breakfast price for a Croissant and a coffee, there must have been a technical error, please be assured that this has been addressed with the Restaurant manager.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to Welcome you back and invite you for a Continental Breakfast at our lovely Restaurant.
Please feel free to contact me directly for any further assistance on maurices@mandeville.co.uk

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was a return visit to The Mandeville, and not as good as our previous visit. Although adequate, the room was really on the small side. Booked as a ‘superior’ room I would class it as a basic room with not even a kettle or a bottle of complimentary water. There was a coffee machine which made awful coffee, but to have tea we were told by a receptionist to go out and buy some teabags and they could provide hot water. (My friends, we are a nation of tea drinkers, and everyone should know that you need boiling water for the best brew!) That receptionist was quite rude and badly needs some customer service training - this is not what you expect in a 4 star hotel.

Our room was a double room, but made up for only 1 person. We had to ask for an extra glass. It seems if you require a touch of luxury you should really book a ‘deluxe’ room. Another thing about the room was that the windows had been screwed shut. This concerns me a lot. It is so nice to have a little ventilation; even if you could open the window just 6 inches would be enough. It was really stuffy overnight and we didn’t want to use the air conditioning, so management please take note!

The Mandeville has become expensive. Charging more than £20 for breakfast is extortionate and hard to justify. Don’t pay it unless your expense account can afford it! Instead walk 2 minutes up the road and you can enjoy a full English Breakfast for under £8 at the lovely Café Valerie on Marylebone High Street, which is great value for Central London.

At checkout The Mandeville will add a gratuity charge to your bill without asking, which is not good practice although sadly becoming the norm. We were not informed about this beforehand and had tipped the staff during our stay. So don’t bother tipping any staff. Another trick I noticed was that they ask you if you want to pay in pounds sterling or your own currency. Sadly it’s all about squeezing money out of you. You should ALWAYS pay in pounds, that way you avoid any excessive currency transaction charges when you get your credit card bill. I can see why The Mandeville has slipped down the London Hotel ratings on Trip Advisor in recent years, because we didn’t get the warm welcome and the overall satisfaction that we had on our previous visit.

Having said all this the hotel is in an excellent and enviable location which is hard to beat, but there are plenty of other good hotels nearby. Would we stay again? The answer is … possibly, but I would book a ‘deluxe’ room or ask for an upgrade and definitely take a kettle!

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room if you want a really comfortable stay
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HuwW
Dear HuwW,

Greetings from the Mandeville Hotel.
We would like to take this moment to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your latest experience with us at the Mandeville Hotel.
Although we are saddened to discover that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion.
At the Mandeville Hotel we offer a fine selection of Nespresso coffee which is replenished on a daily basis but of course a fine selection of freshly brewed teas is available via our dedicated Room Service department upon your request.
It does surprise me that you could not open the window, as it should be possible to open them slightly, it would be a delight if you could contact me personally to give me more details in order for me to follow upon it.
The Continental Breakfast which is served at our newly renovated Restaurant would be available for £15.50 per person excluding Service charge but you could also include it in your rate at a discounted price when making the Reservation.
I would like to apologies for not being informed upon arrival regarding the optional gratuity charge, please be assured that it is the norm to inform every guest upon check in but I will once more remind our dedicated Reception team.

Please be assured that all your points have been addressed and I would like to Thank you once more for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to restore your faith, and in this respect, I hope you will contact me directly in order to discuss this further.

I am looking forward in hearing from you at your convenience.

Please feel free to contact me on maurices@mandeville.co.uk

Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

It is almost a year since we stayed in this hotel but it has been on my mind that I have not yet written a review for a particular reason. The hotel itself is in a great, central location, walking distance to restaurants, shopping, Hyde park and the sights in general. The rooms are small but well done and comfortable. We had a street facing room on about the 3rd floor, quiet, bright and pleasant to be in. Free WIFI was available in the foyer. The reason however that this hotel stood out was the service we received. We left the hotel to do some hiking in the Cottswolds for a week or so and on arrival in the Cottswolds I realised I had forgotten my hiking boots in our stored luggage. On ringing the hotel, the concierge I spoke to not only volunteered to find the boots from our luggage but then to take them to the post office and post them to me...I couldn't believe this service. I was expecting to have to pay courier costs etc but the willingness of the concierge to assist saved us many pounds and showed a level of service that really did just go over and above the norm. We will definitely return to the hotel next time we are in London, it is often the little bits of extra service that make a hotel stand out in the crowd, and the Mandeville came through with the goods!

Room Tip: I would recommend a front of hotel room,facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LizandTerry
Maurice Fabian S, Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Liz and Terry,

We are delighted to receive your feedback about the experience you had with us in September 2012 at the Mandeville Hotel.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is a delight to read your kind comments about your experience with us and especially about our dedicated team who was delighted to look after you.
I have taken the liberty to share your kind comments with them and they were very happy to hear this positive feedback.

We do hope to welcome you back soon at the Mandeville Hotel, your home away from home.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance at your convenience.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mandeville for a couple of nights in July and was more than satisfied. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff were exceptional, extremely polite, always happy to help and if anything was needed it was not a problem. The only negative was the bar prices but then thats London. Location faboulous I would definitely recommend this hotel and more than happy to stay there on my next visit. THankyou.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Marjorie M,

Greetings from the Mandeville Hotel.
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience at the Mandeville Hotel.
We are thrilled to read your kind comments about our team, please be assured that your feedback has been shared with them.

We are looking forward in welcoming you back to the Mandeville Hotel in the near future, please feel free to contact me personally and I would be delighted to invite you to a Welcome back cocktail at the Reform Social & Grill.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The Mandeville hotel meets the minimum requirements for business travelers in London. The free Internet and continental breakfast are good value adds. But the service is nothing more than ordinary. The location is good with many restaurants located only 2 minutes walking distance at St Christopher's Place. Rooms are typical London small. But all the necessary amenities are available at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RBStPete
Maurice Fabian S, Manager at The Mandeville Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear RBNY65,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback about your most recent experience with us at the Mandeville Hotel in July.

We are glad to learn that the Mandeville Hotel met your requirements and that you enjoyed our ideal location, but sorry to hear that we did not exceed tour expectations on this occasion.

It would be delightful to get some more feedback on your experience with us at the Mandeville in order to enhance our guests experience, in this respect I hope that you will contact me at your convenience.

Maurice S.