“Nice for the money.”

The Principal London
Ranked #446 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 21, 2007

I liked staying here as it is close to the tube and a Tesco which is a mini market. The one problem I encounted on my stay that the afternoon concierge could not help us w/ all of our luggage so we took them up, but even b/4 this my colleages had a problem w/ their reservations which it took a while for them to get their room. Later I needed a sewing kit and it took 3 phone calls to have somebody bring me one and last we need it taxi service to the airport and the same concierge was no where to be found and we called constantly to the front desk and it took a while b/4 we could talk to anybody. We did get our taxi on time and the concierge in the morning a very sweet old man help us w/ all of our bags, he was great. Overall the rooms are nice and small but very clean.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed March 14, 2007

Myself and my husband stayed in the Russell for 3 nights in March, We had a great room 128 with a balcony it was very comfortable.
Breakfast was lovely and there was no queue when we were there although we did have to wait for fried eggs for all of 4 minutes (nothing).
When we previously visited London we stayed in a hotel in Great Russell Street, part of a chain of hotels and the Russell beat this hotel on all accounts.
Great hotel and will definately be going back.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2007

This is actually a decent hotel that is let down badly by the standard of the rooms. I stayed here a few years ago but was told it had been re-furbished.

The public areas are very pleasant. The lobby is very Grand and check in was simple and quick.

The dining room is similarly impressive. Breakfast was on the better side of average efficiently served by very freindly staff.

The downside still seems to be the rooms. My small, single room was clean but extremely tatty - it really was student bedsit standard. A bed that should have been scrapped years ago, emulsioned woodchip wallpaper with huge air bubles and bits missing and all the skirting boards chipped back to bare wood. Very dingy with a depressing outlook into the inner quadrangle.

You can usually get in here when all the other hotels in the area are fulll - I guess this tells its own story. Its a shame because it has the potential to be much better. There are far better hotel rooms available in the area

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank mike2016852
Reviewed March 3, 2007

It was too dark and wet to admire the frontage of this historic building as I trudged round from the tube station, but the doorman was courteous (and tactful as I was VERY wet!), the lobby was warm and welcoming, the front desk efficient and the lift quick.

I was delighted by the room which was on the fourth floor. Clearly a conversion, but well done, with a generous lobby, a good sized bathroom and a pleasant bedroom area. I was booked for a single room, and did have a single bed ,but I was pleased by the space. The bed and chair were comfortable, the desk sturdy, the kettle efficient. One tiny grouse - NO biscuit!

The room faced the inner courtyard and overlooked the infamous central heating/ air conditioning units, but was well above them so there was very little noise at all. The room was warm and welcoming after a tiring and wet journey. I think it had been updated in the past two years, and there were signs of discolouration on one wall, but this was not immediately noticeable and did not detract from my comfort.

The bath was big enough to stretch out in and the toiletries were of excellent quality, with GALLONS of hot water.

I chose to eat elsewhere, but enjoyed the continental breakfast next morning. The hot buffet was one of the most attractive I have seen. If you want a paper you need to be there before 8 am!

I used a price comparison site four weeks in advance and paid £82.07 for my night of luxury, a colleague had a good room on the next floor and paid £89. I suppose it depends on when you book, and who with.

I will definitely be back if I can get a price within my business limit!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Divadarling
Reviewed February 28, 2007

This hotel was booked through work for me so didn't know what to expect. I arrived for check in at about 8.30pm for one night. Booked in a single room. Check in was quick and simple.

The hotel is impressive from outside and in the reception/lobby. The carpet along the corridor on my floor (6) was good quality and looked quite new. The room itself was quite small but had decent hanging space and managed to get a desk and TV cabinet in. The bathroom was nearly as big as the room and appeared to have been recently refurbished. The shower was powerful with plenty of hot water.

Yes the windows are old and there was a bit of a draft but the curtains were thick and the room temperature was great (usually they are unbearably hot!). I thought the bed was fine and had a really good sleep - no noise disturbance from within or outside the room.

Went down for breakfast at 8.15 and was suprised to see quite a queue infront of me. Took about 10 mins to get seated, Fortunately I didn't have to rush off but would advise anyone who has an appointment during the week to leave plenty of time and get down to breakfast early. There was still a queue when I finished breakfast 20 mins later.Breakfast was fine with hot and cold buffet.

My experience was good and I would consider using this hotel again it is convenient one stop from Kings Cross and on the picadilly line so ideal for getting around London

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Gilliemay
Reviewed February 25, 2007

I was really worried after I saw some of the previous reviews at this hotel easpecially as I had booked 3 rooms for 5 of us to stay! We wanted to leave our luggage at this hotel before checking in but when we asked (it was about 11.30am) the staff said we could check in!
When we got to our rooms we were all pleasantly surprised! The 2 twin rooms were spacious for a London hotel and were obviously recently renovated,the twin rooms came with a large clean shower and the single room had a bath none of the rooms had any wear and tear signs and the bathrooms in all were extreemly clean.
At breakfast we found plenty to eat, we chose the continental-as we were having an early lunch,but there was plenty to choose from and you could easily upgrade to a full english. Also as we were the last to leave the dining room a member of staff offered to let us have a late checkout,nothing seemed to be a problem.
This hotel is really central to get into either the centre of London or theatreland, the underground is also just around the hotel corner.
On leaving all of us said we would return to this hotel-
and we're a fussy bunch!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank kimij
Reviewed February 20, 2007

My sister and I chose to stay at the Russell Hotel as part of a trip to town to go to the Theatre. We did not eat in the hotel but we were very happy with the choice of stay as the rooms were large modern and airy and the bathroom was great. My only request would have been for a net curtain on the window to save my modesty!
The staff were very friendly on arrival and efficient on check out. The location is ideal for theaterland and I would recommend it to others who are looking for a trouble free stay - especially if they can attract the same good deal I did for the room!

Stayed: February 2007