“Lower standard than expected”

The Principal London
Ranked #441 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Yorkshire
“Lower standard than expected”
Reviewed April 8, 2010

The location of the hotel was perfect for my visit, but the hotel was not what I expected.
The room was small, noisy and run down there was no opening window or extractor in the bathroom for the steam. The breakfast was mediocre and I had a struggle every morning to obtain coffee, one morning I was seated next to the rat poison box, which was off putting to say the least!

3 Thank Francesss_L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hotel Russell with my boyfriend who treated me to the lovely break away in London as part of my Christmas Gift. It was my first time in London and I was really looking forward to staying in the Hotel because I had seen pictures and it looked fab. I was not disappointed!! I have stayed in many hotels and I can safely say the hotel Russell was one of the best. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we were quickly reassured by the polite man at reception that it wasn't going to a long wait. The staff were very pleasant and nice to deal with. The hotel is in a fab location, right around the corner from Russell Square Tube Station! If I had to point out one thing it would be to do with the breakfast, I thought there could have been more to choose from in relation to confectioneries, muffins, danish pastries etc because sometimes a big “English Brekkie” didn’t interest me! I had a lovely stay and would highly recommend this hotel. If your looking for a nice, peaceful and hassle free hotel to stay in while in London, then the Hotel Russell is ideal place!! :)

Albania
Reviewed March 31, 2010

breakfast quality is mediocre, room decoration decent, (but equipment works), staff is friendly, the noise through the window from the hotel yard

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
surrey
Reviewed March 28, 2010

This hotel is really impressive from the outside and the public areas, lots of marble and chandeliers. Sadly our bedroon did not live up to expectations. It was drab with shabby furniture and a soft saggy bed. It was clean, the bathroom had been updated and we had warm fluffy towels which was nice. The hospitality tray was awful, no water, biscuits or chocs to be seen, and only one tea bag between us!! No mini bar either although there was room service. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room for £20, but as we only stayed one night we didn t bother, might be woth asking for a refurbished room though.
The position of this hotel is excellent, close to the British Museum and Theatreland.
Breakfast was pleasant, but make sure it is included in the cost of your room , otherwise its £19.50 each.

scotland
Reviewed March 28, 2010

stayed for 4 days in the middle of march, from the outside this hotel looks like it may have alot to offer however this is where the good points of this hotel pretty much end.
upon arrival the receptionist quickly asked for my credit card, "nothing out of the normal there", i thought to myself, but then he tried to charge £150 to my card which seemed strange considering we had already paid for our stay, when asked what it was for he said it was a deposit for restaraunt usage!! i quickly told him that i would not be paying this...
eventually we were given our room number (518). we headed up to our room and walking along our corridor we noticed several rooms had dirty dishes outside which were giving the corridor a very nasty smell, we got to our room which was very compact, had damp on the walls and some of the wallpaper was coming off, a little annoying considering the hotel had supposedly undergone a £30 million renovation,
the next day we complained to the reception staff about the dishes in the corridor as the smell was getting worse, the dishes however remained there for another 2 days we eventually gave up and took them to the reception staff for them to deal with themselves. all in all a very poor hotel with extremely poor staff (with the exception of bernard the concierge). so please if your going to london....please....please for your own sake do not stay at the russell hotel.

3 Thank stephen1405

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Hokksund
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Lovely old, big hotel in a nice area. We had a junior suite with a very comfortable and huge bed. The airconditon was very noisy. The carpet looked a bit dirty, but otherwise the room was clean. The bar was nice, and the dinner we had in the restaurant was very good. The staff was nice and helpful.

Liverpool
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Stayed here for four days work. On arrival got room 124. From the receptionist who'd missed out on the smiling-training. Or it seemed any customer service training. Room 124 was battered, dirty, smelt damp and there was no heating working. Half an hour waiting for maintenance, who then tried to tell me the air con was just warming up. I told them I wanted another room. Then sat around a further hour whilst a very helpful concierge (Carey) tried to find a room with heating. This is now 9.30pm after a hard week at work. On the fourth try (!!!!!) he found a better room (606), but there still wasn't heating!!!! Carey found an oil heater which I then needed to run intermittently to keep the room at a reasonably ambient temperature over the next four days. Is this 4 star???? The curtains in the room were off the track and needed to be replaced. We were looking after international work colleagues in this dive. How embarassing. We queued up to 20 minutes to get into breakfast and drink coffee-flavoured water on 3 days, and proper coffee on one. We ordered dinner on our second night and waited over an hour for the appetisers. They arrived when I complained, with the excuse that the restaurant was busy. We'd pre-booked the dining - no excuse. Sleep was hopeless due to regular police/ambulance/fire sirens - and no double glazing. And so on and so on.
Are there any redeeming features? Well the marble everywhere in the public rooms is nice if you like marble. Pity the bedrooms don't get anywhere near that standard. I guess the location isn't bad but I'd stay at the City Inn in Westminster or the Radisson Grafton any day for about the same money, a better location and a TOTALLY different customer experience.
Never again, if I can help it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business