“Easter in London”

Ranked #435 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Rugeley, England
“Easter in London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Both check in & check out was efficient and friendly.
Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. Facilities included TV, Coffee & Tea making facilities, ironing board & iron and hair dryer. Bathroom not large but the shower cubicle was a double and the shower was powerful. No noise was heard from inside the hotel only from the road outside.
We went to breakfast at 7.30am both days and there were no queues. Good choice of food and the service was good.
Food in the Tempus Bar was very good but expensive for the size of portions. Drinks also expensive we paid £30 for 2 double brandies.
Hotel location is good as there were lots of restaurants nearby. The tube station is just around the corner so it was easy to get to all the sights of London. There was also a Tesco express opposite the tube station which was handy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Hotel Russell.

Our team endeavour to create a memorable experience for all of our guests and ensure that you have a relaxing visit with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, especially the powerful shower and quietness of your room as we do want our guests to be comfortable throughout their stay.

Breakfast is freshly prepared by our team of Chefs who create a variety of dishes to suit any palate, I am pleased that you enjoyed this also.

All of our Tempus Bar dishes are also freshly made to order and please be assured that beverage prices are in line with other leading establishments. I am glad that you enjoyed your food.

We are ideally located and I am so pleased that you found this beneficial during your stay with us. I do hoe that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Originally, booked for 2 nights, 12th and 13th April 2014 for the London marathon, change of plans required an extra night for the Friday for which I received a discount. Hotel reception was very efficient, single room was on the sixth floor and had been refurbished and more than adequate. Hotel seemed to be busy but it was marathon week end and there was a wait of about 10 minutes for breakfast on Saturday morning which I believe in the circumstances is acceptable.
Sunday morning the restaurant opened at 6.15am for runners, and they probably served the best porridge I've ever had in a hotel, I think in general there could be a little more variety in fresh food-fruit, cheeses, bread etc. but on the whole the level of food on offer was good. The hotel is situated opposite Russell Gardens which is a nice place to relax, it's about 2 minutes walk from the underground, approx. 15 minutes walk from Euston/Kings Cross etc. and centrally located for many of the sites in London, there's also a wide range of eateries nearby and a Tesco round the corner, yes I would definitely stay there again. Btw, there's an excellent Italian restaurant about 300 metres away-the Verdi, turn left out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room, the higher the better (7 floors).
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank G. M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We receive many compliments regarding our porridge and I have to agree it is the best porridge I have ever tasted. I am also pleased that you had the opportunity to experience this. We opened earlier than normal to ensure that all of our marathon runners were energised and ready for the race.

We have a wide variety of dishes available for our guests each morning, however we will certainly take your comments on board.

I am glad that you enjoyed your ideal location as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

It is my second time at this hotel in the last 4 years and I can confirm that this hotel keeps all qualities I found 4 years ago. Professional staff, nice rooms, very well located with a fair daily rate.
I will return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are so delighted that you had lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell yet again.

We genuinely pride ourselves on our high standards and ensure that all of our guests have a memorable, relaxing stay with us.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell for your third in the not too distant future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Thankfully just a one night stay because our 7th floor 'executive' room sprang a leak in the heavy weather and the hotel were prompt and courteous in kind offering to move us but either a room with bed too small for my 6'5" partner or one that backed onto an industrial vent. I reluctantly went for the latter and was offered a complimentary breakfast but I just want to leave as I can't even get a nap before going out later tonight. Concierge was patronising telling us these issues are to be expected with grand London hotels. Looking around it's more accurate to say they're to be expected when backlog maintenance isn't addressed. Really unhappy and this is a group I've previously given a lot of business to in organising work events.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank charlieksays
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your stay with us.

Please be assured that we strive to create and maintain high standards at Hotel Russell.
I can personally assure you that our Maintenance team ensure that all maintenance concerns are addressed as soon as possible.

I do apologise for the disappointment experienced with your new room nevertheless, please be assured that your comments have been taken on board.

Our Concierge team are well known for their friendliness and helpfulness. I am sorry that you felt that the information provided was patronising and I can genuinely assure you that his intention was to provide you with assistance.

I understand that you have now made us aware of your concerns upon your departure. I do hope that you accept our offer provided to you in the goodwill spirit that it is intended.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Haslemere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed here one night with friends, found the deal whilst booking theatre ticket package.
A marvelous old style building, with similar decor in the grand reception, staircase and Tempus bar.
Room rather basic, and an old fashioned bathroom, but an incredibly comfortable bed and pretty quiet considering it is on Russell Square.
The tube is literally around the corner, and it was an easy 10 minute walk home from the West End, and very safe area too. A nightcap in the Tempus bar with its opulent decor and leather settees was also a bonus.
A bit busy for breakfast, queuing to get in, and a nice spread of continental and cooked (but perplexed by the tiny plates!).
I would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for you review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are extremely proud of our rich heritage and I am so pleased that your enjoyed our marvelous establishment.

We have a variety of rooms for our guests, and each room has been individually decorated to enhance the charm of the room. I am glad that you enjoyed the incredibly comfortable bed and quietness of your room. We endeavour to create a memorable and relaxing stay for each of our guests.

We are ideally located as we are within walking distance to many of London’s major attractions and transport links. It is a very well known and safe area and I am also pleased that you found our location so convenient.

Our Tempus Bar has captured the richness and grandeur of our Hotel and I am happy that you had the opportunity to experience this.

Our breakfast is extremely popular as our team of Chefs create a variety of fresh dishes each morning to tantalise your palate. The large plates are used for usually used for the hot items, whilst the smaller plates are for normally used for breads, pastries and fruits. We also have bowls if preferred.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Beautiful building.
The rooms are tired , dated and damaged . We changed room twice and still didn't want to stay the weekend .
Breakfast is full of poor quality produce.

The only positive thing I can say is that the bed is very comfortable .

• Stayed April 2014
8 Thank Georgieracer1
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We have a variety of different rooms ranging from traditional to modern. Breakfast is extremely popular at our Hotel and we usually receive many compliments regarding this.

I am pleased that you found your bed very comfortable as we want all of our guests to have a good night’s sleep.

I only wish you had made us aware of your disappointment as we would have done our utmost to provide you with a room more to your liking.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns further please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Executive, Bebita Dhaya at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as she will be more than happy to assist you.

Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

No doubt the building is impressive and the entrance has the 'wow' factor. Plus, the location is fantastic, just round the corner from Russell Sq tube station. I have tried several hotels in the area which irrespective of the quality tend to have similar (high) prices and this ranks in the top positions for cost/quality ratio (I stayed on a special rate of £150/night). I was not overly impressed with my room on the highest floor, it looked like they had re-adapted an attic to fit in some extra rooms - I think the 'issue' was that the furniture looked a bit cheap, otherwise the room was fine and clean and the shower was great and modern. The bathroom was very hot compared to the room because of a boiling hot towel heater. Some noise coming from the tube station below and bright sunlight coming in from behind the blind early in the morning (maybe some larger heavy curtains would do a better job). Continental breakfast was included in my rate but then they charged extra for hot drinks so I didn't quite understand that but I may have been poorly informed on what 'continental breakfast' meant. Service at reception was very good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Molosso
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rich heritage of our Hotel and the grand entrance.

We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links. We are glad that you found our location fantastic.

We have a variety of different rooms, each with it’s own charm and style. Our rooms on the 8th floor are extremely popular due to the quietness of this level. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the shower and found the room cleaned to a good standard. Each room has a towel warmer for the convenience of our guests and can be switched off within the room, I do apologise that you were unaware of this.

Please be assured that your comments regarding the heavy curtains have been taken on board as we do want our guests to have a peaceful sleep.

As per most establishments continental breakfast includes tea and coffee, and other specialised beverages can be provided at a small additional cost. I do apologise if the continental breakfast description was miscommunicated to you in anyway. Please be assured that I will reiterate this to our team to prevent this from occurring again in the future.

I am delighted that you received very good service from our Reception team and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.