“Total let down , we checked out early .”

The Principal London
Ranked #447 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Beautiful building.
The rooms are tired , dated and damaged . We changed room twice and still didn't want to stay the weekend .
Breakfast is full of poor quality produce.

The only positive thing I can say is that the bed is very comfortable .

• Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank Georgieracer1
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am so disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We have a variety of different rooms ranging from traditional to modern. Breakfast is extremely popular at our Hotel and we usually receive many compliments regarding this.

I am pleased that you found your bed very comfortable as we want all of our guests to have a good night’s sleep.

I only wish you had made us aware of your disappointment as we would have done our utmost to provide you with a room more to your liking.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns further please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations Executive, Bebita Dhaya at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as she will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

No doubt the building is impressive and the entrance has the 'wow' factor. Plus, the location is fantastic, just round the corner from Russell Sq tube station. I have tried several hotels in the area which irrespective of the quality tend to have similar (high) prices and this ranks in the top positions for cost/quality ratio (I stayed on a special rate of £150/night). I was not overly impressed with my room on the highest floor, it looked like they had re-adapted an attic to fit in some extra rooms - I think the 'issue' was that the furniture looked a bit cheap, otherwise the room was fine and clean and the shower was great and modern. The bathroom was very hot compared to the room because of a boiling hot towel heater. Some noise coming from the tube station below and bright sunlight coming in from behind the blind early in the morning (maybe some larger heavy curtains would do a better job). Continental breakfast was included in my rate but then they charged extra for hot drinks so I didn't quite understand that but I may have been poorly informed on what 'continental breakfast' meant. Service at reception was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Molosso

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rich heritage of our Hotel and the grand entrance.

We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links. We are glad that you found our location fantastic.

We have a variety of different rooms, each with it’s own charm and style. Our rooms on the 8th floor are extremely popular due to the quietness of this level. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the shower and found the room cleaned to a good standard. Each room has a towel warmer for the convenience of our guests and can be switched off within the room, I do apologise that you were unaware of this.

Please be assured that your comments regarding the heavy curtains have been taken on board as we do want our guests to have a peaceful sleep.

As per most establishments continental breakfast includes tea and coffee, and other specialised beverages can be provided at a small additional cost. I do apologise if the continental breakfast description was miscommunicated to you in anyway. Please be assured that I will reiterate this to our team to prevent this from occurring again in the future.

I am delighted that you received very good service from our Reception team and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was our second stay at this grand old hotel. Everything is impeccable, and it is well worth staying at just to enjoy the site. Among other things, the grand ballroom of the Titanic was based on the ballroom here. Loved all the marble, etc. The rooms were typical and well cared for. Front desk and concierge were extremely helpful, and the breakfast was varied and plentiful. If we ever return to London, will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am so delighted that you had a wonderful second stay with us at Hotel Russell.

We are so proud of rich heritage and ensure that the grandeur of our Hotel has been well maintained over the years. I am so pleased that you found everything impeccable during your stay with us.

Charles Fiztroy Doll created and designed Hotel Russell and then designed the interior dinning rooms of the Titanic. The opulence of his architecture can certainly been seen throughout our Hotel and I am very glad that you enjoyed this.

We genuinely pride ourselves on our high standards and ensure that our rooms are well cared for.

We appreciate your very kind comments regarding our Reception and Concierge teams as they endeavour to create a memorable and relaxing stay for each of our guests. Please be assured that your feedback will be shared with our teams.

Each morning breakfast is freshly prepared by our team of Chefs and they create a variety of dishes to suit any palate. I am also pleased that you enjoyed this as we want our guests to start their day content.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell for your third visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We booked for a long weekend a superior twin room. The room was modern, clean, spacious with two comfortable large beds. There was no noise from the street thanks well isolated windows. The bar was -as always- a joy to relax after a long day in London. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Only downside was perhaps a waiting cue at the breakfast restaurant. Otherwise, we did have a perfect stay in London.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Bart L, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had a lovely stay with us at Hotel Russell.
We endeavour to make each stay as comfortable and relaxing for our guests throughout the hotel including our Tempus Bar. I am so pleased that our team were so friendly and helpful and will certainly pass on your very kind comments.

Breakfast is extremely popular as all of our dishes are freshly prepared on the day, however I do apologise for the delay experienced. Our team ensure that all of our guests are served as soon as possible, and I will certainly take your comments on board.

I am glad that you had a perfect stay with us and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here twice before and this third visit was even better. Staff are always helpful and the rooms lovely and clean. It is a great location and easy to reach the tube. Will be booking again to stay shortly.

Room Tip: Corner rooms and those overlooking Russell Square are great. N
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela H

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am absolutely delighted that you and your husband had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell.

Our team genuinely endeavour to make each guest feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. I am so pleased that you found our staff as helpful as ever and the room was lovely and clean.

We are ideally located as we within a stone’s throw of many of London’s major attractions and transport links. We are glad that you found our location great.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for your fourth visit to Hotel Russell in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I was quite nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but I guess your never please everyone.
I really do like this hotel, staff were great, bed was so comfortable I had a great night sleep ( trust me I don't usually when away from home) breakfast was lovely, little queue but you get that anywhere, you would expect it from a big hotel! Bedroom was on the small side, but all we wanted was a bed to sleep in really!
Will be booking here again

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to provide you with the high standards and service which we pride ourselves in at Hotel Russell.

I am pleased that our team were great and delighted that you enjoyed the comfort of your bed. Each bed has a high quality mattress to ensure each of our guests have a relaxing night’s sleep.

I am also glad that you enjoyed your breakfast which is freshly prepared by our team of Chefs each morning. Our team ensure that guests are served promptly and I am sorry for the slight delay experienced.

We have a variety of different rooms and do hope that you have the opportunity to experience one of our more spacious superior rooms upon your next stay with us.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

First use caution, Russell House Hotel nearby, confusion by us tourists as to name. I apologize to England, and owner of Russell House Hotel. Hotel Russell faces park, much larger.

Great staff, very helpful. Old style, and yes smaller rooms, but location and cost for us were great. We spent the last two days of vacation there. Was able to book on short notice and get a second room on check in (traveling with my adult daughter). A snafu from the fraud people at my bank (forgot to tell them I was going overseas for a couple weeks) was handled with real understanding and initiative to help me fix it.

Everything worked in the room for us, and proximity to public transportation back to Heathrow was excellent. Less than one hour back to terminal 5, but be careful, some lines stop at 4. Fear not, you get an announcement to get off at the right stop and wait for the terminal 5 train but you have to listen up to the PA.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am absolutely delighted that you had an incredible stay with us at Hotel Russell. Our Hotel does face Russell Square Park and I am pleased that you were able to locate us.

Our team endeavour to provide an exceptional service to our guests and I am glad that you found our staff very helpful.

We have a variety of different rooms each with it’s own shape and style. I do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience one of our superior, spacious park views upon your next stay.

We are ideally located as we are within a short walk to the tube station which leads you directly to Heathrow airport. I am also pleased that you found our location so ideal.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.