“superbreak with superbreak” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #434 of 1,087 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“superbreak with superbreak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

my wife and I have just returned from a weekend break to London courtesy of superbreak holidays. We stayed at The Hotel Russell in Russell Square and everything was spot on. The Hotel was very well situated for getting about the Capital and the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough to help you. The Hotel itself was spotlessly clean and although our en-suite room was a bit on the small side it was adequate for our stay. The only criticism we had was that the breakfast hot food could have done to be a bit hotter but the choice was exceptional. We would return again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Julie_Hammond_13, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that both you and your wife had a lovely stay with us.

We pride ourselves on our high standards and will always ensure our guests are as comfortable and relaxed as possible.

Breakfast is freshly prepared each morning by our team of Executive Chefs and I am sorry that you found the dishes could have been hotter. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our team as we do want our guests to enjoy all their meals with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our Hotel and friendliness of our team.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Emeryville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I first stayed here in 2009, before the renovation. The location in Bloomsbury is great, right around the corner from the Russell Tube stop, a Pret a Manger and a grocery, plus a little shopping and restaurant area. I had a queen room, nice size by London standards and recently modernized. During my first trip, the rooms were more Victorian/older décor. Now, the furnishings are more modern as is the bathroom. However, when they redid the hotel, they must have removed all the soundproofing. You can hear a door close (loudly) down from down the hall, hear the plumbing in another room (and they had a small flood while I was there) and the heat cannot decide whether it should be hot or cold. I just shut if off. I am disappointed. The desk staff tries hard, but they seem to not know much about the hotel when asked questions. Will I stay again? No. Will I stay in Bloomsbury - yes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank vast
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

We have a lovely mixture of both modern and traditional rooms, each with its own unique style and charm. We would have gladly provided you with a traditional room upon request.

We can assure you that each room is soundproofed, however we do apologise that you could you hear a door closing and some plumbing noise. Please be assured that this is extremely unusual, and will bear your comments in mind.

I can confirm that we did not have any concerns with regards to a small flood in any of our rooms and I am sorry if you were given this impression.

The air conditioning in each room allows guests to find their own optimum setting and I do apologise that you encountered some difficulty with this. We only wish you had informed us at one of our Maintenance Engineers would have gladly assisted you with your settings.

I am disappointed that you feel our team are not knowledgeable as we encourage learning on a daily basis and we will always endeavour to assist our guests. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our team.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell should you change your mind in the future.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights this week and I was underwhelmed. The facade promises much but the rooms fail to live up to the promise. I had already read a number of write ups so I was well prepared for my single room to be nothing special and didn't really care. However, even on the 6 the floor, the noise from below (extractor fans I think) meant there was no way the single glazed windows could be opened and the air con needed to be in warm mode. That said, I didn't manage a single night's decent sleep and for that reason alone I will ensure my company doesn't put me here again. Positives: great breakfast, efficient reception staff and clean room. Perfectly placed with tube just around the corner along with a Tesco express supermarket to swerve the ridiculous room service wine prices. Forgetable.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

Due to the shape and size of the building our central air conditioning unit is based in our court yard. This usualy provides a slight humming sound and is not normally a concern for our guests, especially on the 6th floor. Nevertheless please be assured that your comments have been taken on board.

I do also apologise that you encountered some difficulty with the air conditioning setting. I only wish you had informed us of this as one of our Maintenance Engineers would have happily assisted you.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast as this is freshly prepared each morning for our guests.

We endeavour to make all of our guests feel as welcome as possible and I am happy that our Reception were so efficient. Our Housekeeping team pride themselves on their high standards and we are appreciate your feedback regarding the standards of cleanliness.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell in the future should you wish to join us again.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business. The first room the window was broken (and no double glazing). Moved but the tv was broken in the next room. Got moved to the 8th floor and no hot water and freezing cold. Too tired to complain anymore. Breakfast next day topped it off. I deliberately let the reception know I was coeliac when checking in. I had to tell the staff again at breakfast and after waiting 15 mins in some gluten free bread, I had to leave to go to my business meeting hungry!! Bad enough this stay was business and not pleasure. I would have been really disappointed if I was in a personal holiday and paying with my own hard earned cash.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Clairemoyles1
Julie_Hammond_13, Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

I understand that you encountered some difficulty with the window and hence was moved to a different room. The television in your new room had the connection wires switched and I do apologise for this. Our team changed this back within a few minutes.

To our knowledge we did not encounter any concerns with hot water in any of our rooms and only wish you had informed us as we would have done our utmost to assist you. Our Guest Relations Executive had arranged to sit down and discuss your concerns with you, however I am sorry to learn that you chose not to do this. We have since contacted you with regards to this.

I am disappointed to learn of the delay you experienced in receiving your gluten free bread and agree that this should be readily available at all times. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our team.

We strive to create and maintain high standards at Hotel Russell and do hope that we may have the opportunity to turn around your experience for you in the future.

Kindest regards

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Needed to stay in Russell square for a conference the next day and was very impressed with Hotel Russell . I had a lovely single room - very clean and great shower ! Now my impression may have been influenced by the fact that I had a room at the front of the hotel so i had the beautiful floor to nearly ceiling old fashioned windows and balcony overlooking square ! The hotel is old and beautiful with its terracotta marble - yet I still felt my room was modern with all updates I needed and not tiny as some single rooms can be ! I'm surprised that some people are so negative and talk about it being ' shabby' or 'tired' you have to decide do you want beautifully old with modern conveniences or brand new - I would most certainly recommend Hotel Russell and stay there again !

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TanyaTraveller2012
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, November 30, 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had a fantastic stay at Hotel Russell and the beautiful architecture of the building incorporating modern facilities impressed you. I am glad the room allocated was to your liking and met your expectations. Thank you for appreciating the efforts in preserving an over hundred year old building in its original glory while striving to maintain a balance between period elegance and modern comfort which every guest anticipates. I am glad you will consider Hotel Russell for your future stays and look forward to your next visit.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Booked here for a second time with the main reason being the for London standards fair price (still considerably over 100GBP) and near proximity to meeting location. Had a single room which contained a rather small bed - just fits for one person. The interior is classicaly English which gives it a nice touch. Staff is friendly and competent. Easy to reach from Heatrow station, the Piccadilly line stops at Russell Square where the hotel is located. May certainly visit again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, November 27, 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you chose to stay at Hotel Russell again and had a fantastic stay. We value your custom and glad that you found the location of the Hotel ideal and all our team members professional and friendly. Our Single rooms have single beds in them as they are for sole occupancy however I am sure you will have the opportunity to experience some other category of rooms on your future visits with us. I hope we shall get a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a weekday for a course I had in London the following day. Reception was efficient enough. My room was a generous size and had all the comfort I needed. I was disappointed that the hotel did not offer any free wifi in the rooms, I think this is a basic that almost everyone has on their home therefore a hotel of such quality would do itself a favour my investing in this for guests.
The window being very old did not close properly which meant I was woken up on several occasions throughout the night by traffic outside and by a cold breeze coming in through the gap in the window frame.
Bathroom was nice with a good shower. I found the room a little dark for doing make up etc maybe a better positioned mirror or lighting would help.
Breakfast was good with a big selection.
Lovely hotel just a shame about the lack of sleep.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ChaDeen

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you had a pleasant stay at Hotel Russell in a well appointed, comfortable bedroom and enjoyed the sumptuous breakfast selection offered in our Tempus Restaurant.

I have noted your comments with regards to the bedroom lighting and apologise you did not have a good night’s sleep due to outside London traffic noise. Our team would have done their utmost to rectify the situation with the windows or offer an alternative room if the concern was brought to their attention however I understand it might not have been a suitable option for you at the time.

We have recently upgraded our Internet facilities with a new supplier to high speed wireless in all areas of the Hotel with improved bandwidth. Currently we offer similar pricing should we compare ourselves to the local competition in the area. Free 30 minute access was previously available however in light of comments regarding slow connectivity and limited access, this has been replaced with voucher access that guarantees high speed and reliability.

I look forward to welcome you again to Hotel Russell in the near future.