“Beautiful building in a great location.”

The Principal London
Ranked #446 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A friend raved about the architecture and interior of this hotel. I loved staying in this hotel but its grandeur is fading. I don't mind it being a little shabby around the edges as it feels like a London landmark - something historic that we should treasure.

The room I stayed in was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a kettle with tea and coffee sachets. Despite it being fully booked, it was not noisy and I had a good night's sleep. The staff were friendly and helpful. One went out of her way to help me photocopy a page from a guide book so that I didn't have to carry it around.

Checking in was quick and out even quicker - I was able to drop the key into a speedy checkout box.

The hotel is in Bloomsbury so is very close to the British Museum and also the Charles Dickens Museum. I paid for room only so can't comment on the food but I enjoyed a drink in the bar - worth a visit.

Room Tip: If you want a room overlooking the square, you need to stipulate this - or make sure that it says it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Hotel was very well kept and clean, as we like it.
The rooms are very nice and comfortable.
Only thing that was a little disappointing, was the price.
I didn't pick up the tab, as we were invited by friends.
My wife just tells me that I'm just a miserable tight fisted ***** !!!
She's probably right :))

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Hotel was nice and clean, very grand from the outside and the lobby.
We wanted a romantic weekend and got a big room with two double beds, nice but not cosy. Lovely view of the noisy extraction vent outside didn't add to the experience...
On the plus side, the bathroom was nice and big.

We wanted to have a drink at the bar as it was late and didn't fancy looking for something else, but the bar was full (not many seats) and had a funny smell, we found some seats in the lobby but the drinks were overpriced and we got two random beer glasses, not the type we were drinking. I did expect more...

Room Tip: make sure the room has a view as ours were overlooking a noisy extraction vent. Rooms on the lower f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Spent two nights at the Hotel Russell last week. I went to London to see some friends, attend a meeting and go to the theatre (The National: Othello, excellent).
Found the hotel to be excellent, staff friendly, and if you like architecture then the Russell is a gem of a building. An easy walk from Euston station and only a two minute walk from the tube. Breakfast was included and was ok.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel was really nice and clean.
The room was a little on the small side but it was for only one night, however the bed creaked really badly which was quite annoying.
THe breakfast was lovely and a lot of food to pick from
Would stop again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

on arriving at the hotel we were checked in quickly I was looking for the bedroom as it looked fantastic on the website a standard rm great.opening the door we found a small room so unlike the "standard on the website"the rooms were clean albeit dust on the lightbulb at the top,breakfast was everything from cereals to scrambled egg the toaster wasn't working and why can someone not make a milkjug that doesn't tip the lot over you?? the shower wouldn't drain properly that was sort of fixed for a four star hotel it should be a 3 star hotel receptionists and staff were friendly this is a three star hotel, all these things should have been looked at before we arrived

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Russell in London the night before the start of the Olympics and I wasn't expecting too much. However, when I checked in, I was told that the room I had booked was very small and for an extra £20 I could upgrade to an executive suite - at that price I thought it would be rude to say no ;)

The room was absolutely gorgeous, as well as being massive; it was on the top floor and had fantastic views out of the huge bay window. The shower was one of the most modern I have ever used - water sprays from everywhere!

The staff were very well presented and very friendly - not always the case in other hotels unfortunately.

I cannot comment on breakfast as I overslept (in the very comfortable bed), so I did not have time to try it, but I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in London (particularly if I can get a reasonable deal).

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business