“Lies about Superior Double Room with view on a park.”

The Principal London
Ranked #446 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice hotel, but, so what?

I have paid for Superior Double Room with View on the Park. I have made my decision purely on the advertisment with booking.com

They have showed me on the picture a great room (SUPERIOR DOUBLE). Reality check is that those rooms are not even close to what they supposed to be.

We have been upgraded after seeing two rooms, but still the room we end up with was not the one from the picture.

False advertisment, ASA will be notfied.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Do not book any room at this hotel. Unless you want to go there first and ask to show you Superior D...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maciek L
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We do apologise for the disappointment experienced.

We have a variety of different rooms available each with their own unique charm. Each room has been individually furnished to capture the essence of the room. We normally receive many compliments regarding our rooms, however we are sorry that this was not to your liking. We are glad, nevertheless that you were shown a variety of rooms to choose from.

Please be assured that we follow all the necessary guidelines regarding our advertisements and to date have not received any similar concerns.

We do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience the room you envisioned upon your next stay at Hotel Russell.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying in the Hotel Russel for 4 nights from the 20th april 2013. On arriving I was greeted pleasantly by the receptionists and booked in quickly. I was asked if I needed help with my bags.
When I got to my room, I was very happy. It was a single room, immaculately clean with everything I needed. The food and drink in the restaurant could be expensive but no more than you would expect to pay in a hotel . The dining room was gorgeous, very ornate and the tables were spread out so that you had plenty of personal space. The waiting staff were very attentive and friendly and after the first night, knew the drinks that we liked and nothing was too much trouble. Even when 6 of us all dined together but requested our bills separate, they were happy to oblige.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for everything. The location was perfect and central london was a nice walk away. I would love to revisit this hotel at some point if I am lucky
enough. I hav not rated he swimming pool or fitness centre, not because I didnt like it, but because I didnt visit it so unfair for me to judge it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you had wonderful stay with us and we made you feel like a princess.

Our team pride themselves on their high standards and we endeavour to make each guest feel as special as possible. We will always endeavour to meet all of our guest’s requests and provide an exceptional service to them throughout their stay.

We are ideally located as we are a stone’s throw away from many of London’s major attractions and transport links. We are pleased that you found our location perfect.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Russell is a nice hotel, centrally located just around the corner from the underground station Russell Square and about 10 minutes walking to Holborn Station, and it is also close walking to Oxford Street.
My husband and I stayed in a room at the back of the hotel which was a bit quieter. Our room was a good size, compared to European standards, and spotlessly clean. The staff is very helpful and cordial. Coffee/tea facilities were very useful. Unfortunately, there is no fridge in room. But, the downfall was the bed, too small and uncomfortable.
The tap in the bathroom wasn't working properly, so only hot water would come out of it.
They have 2 breakfast options in 2 different rooms: continental and buffet (check before arriving which one is included in your package) we had buffet and it was not outstanding, but ok.
The wi-fi access is £15/day, we thought that was too expensive.
All in all, we would return to this hotel with very good rates.

Room Tip: We checked out late for £10/ each hour and it was good.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the location of our Hotel as we are a stone’s throw from many of London’s major attractions and transport links.

We have variety of different rooms and have ensured that each one is cleaned to a high standard and all the amenities are neatly tucked away for you in your room.

Our research has found that guests rarely use fridges in our hotel and prefer to have beverages in our bar downstairs or one of the many local pubs and cafes. We hence only have a selection of fridges as we endeavour to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

We have a range of different bed sizes including a standard double, queen or king size beds. We do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience our queen or king size beds in the future.

We do apologise for the difficulty encountered with the bathroom taps and have requested our maintenance team to inspect this as soon as possible.

Breakfast is extremely important to us as we want all of our guests to start their day content. All of our dishes are freshly prepared by our highly experienced team of Executive Chefs who ensure all their dishes are served with flare and creativity. Please be assured your comments have been taken on board.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Lovely hotel and the building is just great. Couple of issues however that you should be aware of, be standard rooms are tiny, a friend stayed in one, whilst my wife & I had an executive suite, which was what I'd really expect a standard room to be. The wifi was charged at £15 a day and breakfast at £18 each on top of the room rate. If you can live with that, then it's fine. The Tempus Bar / restaurant food was fairly basic for a four star restaurant, but not too expensive and apparently on he Friday night we stayed, they had no chicken dishes...as they as no chicken left! However the steak was decent enough.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you found our Hotel lovely and enjoyed the magnificent structure of our building.

Due to the size and age of our building each room has its own unique shape and charm. Each room has been furnished to enhance the charisma of the room. I do hope that you may have opportunity to experience one of our more spacious rooms in the future.

We ensure that our rates are extremely competitive and hence do not include any incrementals such as wifi. This allows our guests to choose this option rather than charge them automatically for this. Please be assured that our wifi and breakfast prices are inline with other leading hotels in the area.

We do apologise that we had unfortunately ran out of the chicken dish as it was extremely popular on that particular evening, however we are glad you enjoyed your steak. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our Head Chef as we do want to give our guests as many different options as possible.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Russell and enjoyed a very pleasant stay. From the time we arrived at the reception desk until the morning we left we found all staff friendly and helpful, the meals were excellent and the room spacious, clean and comfortable. We would certainly choose the hotel again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for you recent review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you and your partner both had a wonderful stay with us at Hotel Russell. We pride ourselves on our exceptional standards and endeavour to make each guest feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible throughout their stay. You very kind comments will be shared with our teams.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was down on business and stayed here for two nights. The hotel is a beutiful building, with sweeping entrance and lovely marbel lobby area. Staff were helpful and courteous.

The room was fine though tended to be a bit cool as it was on the sixth floor. The room was heated by a aircon unit that directed hot air on to the bed, wasnt that great! To get cold water in the bathroom, you had to run the tap for at least five mins. Room was clean as was the general hotel.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and attentive staff.

Bloomsberry is a great location for the tube ad for walking into Oxford Street area. Pleanty of resturants and coffee shops around.

Would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the lower floors, if its windy outside it can be a bit noisy!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed the magnificent, rich structure of our building as well as the courteousness of our team as we do pride ourselves on our high standards.

Each room is equipped with an air conditioner to allow each guest to find their own optimum temperature. The air conditioner can be placed on a particular setting to prevent this blowing directly on the bed, however I do apologise that you were unaware of this.

We are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast with us as our team of Executive Chefs create a wide variety of fresh dishes each morning to suit any palate.

We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The hotel was built in 1900 and is an impressive piece of heritage and well maintained. The receptionist I dealt with wouldn't give me a room with a park view saying they're not available so I went up and within one minute I came back down again because I found out the inside view rooms were overlooking these very noisy generators which produce this monotonous humming noise throughout the day making sleeping impossible for me. The second receptionist I saw immediately gave me a room with a park view (hmm). The hotel location is fantastic as it's right next to an underground station "Russell Square" - Piccadilly Line and next to a nice park and museum.
There are several dining options all around the hotel. They gave me an option of paying for breakfast at GBP12 upfront or pay GBP19.5 later. I declined either option and had my breakfast at Pret a Manger next door on the next two days for GBP6.
The room I had was a single with a nice park view, but the room itself was very tiny. I didn't mind that as it had all I needed, a closet, iron, computer desk and a comfortable bed although the pillows seemed to be filled with cotton rather than feathers.
The hotel itself doesn't have a fitness center, but can offer you Fitness First vouchers at GBP10 per visit (+GBP1 for a towel once you're there). Fitness First is just a 5min walk from the hotel and is well equipped.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with an outside view on the park or the side road, the rooms with an inside view ar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TareqHaji
Julie_Hammond_13, General Manager at The Principal London, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are extremely proud of the rich heritage of our building and have ensured that this has been well maintained over the years.

We have a variety of different rooms each with its own unique shape and style. Rooms are available once this has been cleaned to a high standard and inspected. I am pleased that a park view had just become available for you and glad that you enjoyed the view.

We ensure that all the amenities that you may need during your visit is neatly tucked away for you and I am pleased that you found this beneficial. We have standard cotton pillows as guests may be allergic to feathers, however can arrange this if requested by any of our guest.

Breakfast is extremely to important to us and our team of Executive Chefs have created a variety of dishes to suit any palate. I do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience this upon your next stay at Hotel Russell