“If you want perfect location and feeling of old time London”

The Principal London
Ranked #444 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Jessheim, Norway
“If you want perfect location and feeling of old time London”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We are happy for finding this hotel on "booking.com", thank you! GREAT location in Bloomsbury, not far from Kings Cross/St.Pancras and Russel Square underground station around the corner. We love the parks and the chanals, and for this it was not long to Regents Park (wonderful). And on the top, few minutes walking to the (New) Oxford Street (and the Downtown). The hotel itself was an charming old building, as a picture of the history. We get offer for up-grading the room, worth the money, big room and wonderful view to the park (even the bathroom was poor and small). The staff was overall helpful, the concierge was very helpful, as taken from history of old Great Britian. As taken from the history was also the breakfast"room", with a breakfast for every choise. And do`nt forget the bar (or what do you call it)? Dark, brown, deep chaires, gentleman in the corner seems to be sitting there from the 30ies... ladies with the english breakfast tea... wonderful! As long as we feel London as a part of the "old", we will visit this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
guestservices_10, Guest Relations Manager at The Principal London, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We endeavour to provide exceptional service to our guests and ensure that they are comfortable and relaxed throughout their stay. I am pleased that this was certainly the case for you.

We are extremely proud of our rich heritage and magnificent structure of our building. We have ensured that the grandeur and charm of our Hotel has been captured and I am so pleased that you appreciated this and also enjoyed our Tempus Bar and Lounge.

We understand that importance of breakfast and ensure that we serve a variety of dishes to suit any palate. We want all of our guests start their day happy and content.

We can assure you that we will always maintain the historic richness of our Hotel and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, near Euston and great for getting around on the tube. Room was fine, comfy enough for the little time we spent in it and great architecture – good sized bathroom. My big gripe is the breakfast which was lukewarm at best. Choice and quantity of food was fine but the hot food is pre-cooked and supposedly kept hot under lamps. It does not work and the food was barely warm. After two days of this I complained and I have to say the staff took my compliant seriously and we had a hot breakfast on the last morning. Don’t know if it came direct from the kitchen or was plated off the buffet and heated in a microwave but didn’t care at that point - just wanted a hot breakfast. Our compliant was followed up by the Guest Services Manager when we got home and dealt with well. However I’m not confident anything will change. Expected much better for a four star hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies that you found the breakfast dishes not warm enough during your stay.

As per your conversation with our Guest Relations Executive, all of our dishes are freshly prepared as required and placed in the buffet area. We also ensure that a plate warmer is used. We did not receive any similar complaints, however please be assured that your comments were highlighted to our Executive Chef and his team for their consideration. I am pleased that our team was able to accommodate your request and ensured that your dishes were hot as per your preference.

We are a stone's throw away from many of London's major attractions as well as being within walking distance of many transport links. I am glad that you found our location so convenient.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and appreciated the rich architecture of our building which we are so proud of. I do hope that you may take us up on our goodwill gesture and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell in the not too distant future.

Stockholm
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Clean and very elegant and old fashioned. Good service with easy check out despite long queues, they just grab your card when you wait in line and off you go! Good rooms but rahter warm. Very noisy AC. Very good but not luxary lavish breakfast buffé. I got my continental choice of breakfast, so no worries. Extremely well situated on the Picadilly line with direct access to Heathrow Airport makes for easy arrival and departure, although it takes around an hour effectively on the tube to Heathrow from Russel Square Tube Station just around the corner from the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the street as my collegues complained a bit about police sirens and suc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you had a lovely stay with us.

I am sorry to read that you found the air conditioning unit noisy. This is checked on a regular basis, however please be assured that your comments will be passed on to our maintenance team.

We have a Full English Breakfast Buffet as well as a Continental Breakfast, both which serve a wide variety of dishes to suit any palate and has proven to be extremely popular. We can also accommodate any dietary requirements if informed in advance.

We are located within walking distance of many great attractions as well as transport links including Euston Station. Russell Square tube station is situated just around the corner and the line takes you directly to Heathrow airport, which many of our guests find very beneficial and convenient.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Russell upon your next visit to London.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My partner and I went on a Superbreak weekend and stayed in the Hotel Russell in Bloomsbury. I could not have been more pleased with the hotel if I had chosen it myself. The staff in reception were very helpful especially the concierge, who was so helpful and cheerful. Our room was lovely (although the view from our room was just a brick wall as we were at the back of the hotel) and well equipped. However we were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room for £30 per night but as we were sightseeing in London and would not be in the room for too long we decided not to take this offer up. The breakfast again was lovely and the staff there could not have been more helpful. People say that in London you do not get the service but I can honestly say we could find no fault in this hote. In fact it's my 60th birthday in February and my daughter and I are going to say at the Hotel Russell again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel if you specifically want a good view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am so delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us. We endeavour to make each stay a memorable one and ensure that all of our guests are relaxed throughout their visit.

We ensure each room has all the necessary amenities for you for you to enhance your comfort. Breakfast is extremely important to us as we believe it is a good start to your day so our Executive Chef has created a variety of dishes for our Full English Breakfast Buffet to suit any palate.

I am so pleased that our team was so friendly and helpful as we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service. We do appreciate your kind comments which will be shared with our teams.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Russell in February along with your daughter to celebrate your 60th birthday.

BROADWAY
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had an absolutely terrible night, but that was mainly due to a bad head cold and an inability to breathe properly ... nothing really wrong with the bed etc (though the room was a bit small).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you due to your head cold you were unable to sleep. I only wish you had informed us if you required any assistance as we would have more than happy to assist you, however I do hope that you are now feeling much better.

We do have a range of rooms ranging from single rooms to suites and do hope that you may have the opportunity to experience a more spacious suite upon your next stay.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

the only reason i gave this an average and not a poor is because i liked the location, and the building was very nice...the rooms were ok! small but nice inside. Comfortable beds! Nice bathroom.
service was HORRIFIC. The staff there are AWFUL! First night we went to the bar ordered a round of drinks and paid at the bar. Sat down to have our drinks. We went up for our next round and the RUDE staff told us we owed them 47 pound for the last round before we could have this round! REALLY RUDE bar tenders...made us feel really embarrased infront of everybody and we had to argue. called manager down he was no help and was backing up his staff. Luckly one of our members had kept the reciept which PROVED us right and no appollogy. We had to force our way onto some free drinks in compensation but they really handled it badly! Breakfast food quality was great but again POOR staff...POOR SERVICE...no plates in the breakfast area to put food on! had to wait constantly for clean glasses to have a drink. Many things werent replenished on the buffet like simple things like butter and jams etc... i had to ask on the second day for them to replenish the orange juice as there was none left!
They told us they were out of baileys on friday night. We went back to the bar on sunday and ordered 4 baileys coffees. Again we were told no baileys (they must get shipments from china) we said we will change it to tia maria coffees. Liquor coffees came after 10 minutes with NO CREAM on top! We asked for some cream to gowith our coffees and got told "sir thats why there is no cream in your coffees because we dont have any" SHOCKING they have an onsite restaurant and about 3 tesco expresses with in walking distance and they didnt stock any CREAM! ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING MANAGEMENT
I run and own an Italian restaurant and i would love to have a pop at managing this place because its a damn shame because the building and location is fabulous!

Room Tip: Dont get a ground floor room! this is were all the power generators and a/c units are and can be qui...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for recent review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor service you received our in our bar.

I am so disappointed to read of the manner in which your billing miscommunication was handled. Please do let me personally assure you that this is not the usual high standards that we pride ourselves in. Regrettably Bailey's did prove to be extremely popular that Friday evening, however I completely agree that a request for cream should certainly be provided. I am pleased that you received a complimentary round of drinks, however if you would like to discuss this further please do contact Bebita Dhaya, Guest Relations Executive at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as she will be more than happy to assist you.

Breakfast starts at 7am each day and whilst it is beyond our control when guests may arrive, we endeavour to be as prepared as possible for this. Regrettably we did have a particular day when a large amount of guests had arrived together. I do apologise for the delay this caused, we are have put further steps in place to ensure that this does not occur again.

We are extremely well located to many great attractions and within walking distance of many transport links and I am glad that you found this so beneficial.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to turn around your experience for you and provide you with the excellent service that we are so well known for.

Quincy, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The outside of the hotel, and the lobby are beautiful. The location was perfect as we were visiting our daughter at the university. The tube stop is just around the corner as well. However, it was the 3rd hotel we were staying in during our 1st overseas trip and it was our least favorite for several reasons. FIrst, we were greeted by a staff member who was cold and uninviting. She began by telling us all the things that were not included in our stay which we would have to pay for additionally, such as WiFi and coffee in the morning. We had been travelling all day, it was late, we were exhausted, and she was definitely not helpful, welcoming or friendly. The room was large and clean, but the bathroom has no place large enough to set down your things. It was on the busy main street, so somewhat noisy. We ate dinner one evening in their restaurant. It took exactly one hour after ordering to get our 2 hamburgers, (which were dry and well done, and expensive). There were only 4 other occupied tables in the restaurant so I don't know how it could have taken this long. I would definitely not choose his hotel to stay in again, nor would I recommend it in a city that has so many other options. The staff really affected our overall impression of this hotel. I hope they read these reviews.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay with us.

Upon arrival our Reception team do inform all of the guests of the relevant information, however I am so sorry that you found this unhelpful as well as the manner in which a member of our team had come across. Usually they are extremely helpful and friendly, but will certainly highlight your comments.

I do sincerely apologise for the severe delay you experienced with the arrival of your food in our restaurant. All burgers are served well done, however our Chefs can accommodate any requests. It is extremely unusual to wait for such a long time and if you would like to provide us with some more information please do contact Bebita Dhaya, Guest Relations Executive at bebita.dhaya@principal-hayley.com as she will be more than happy to assist you.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to turn around your experience for you upon your next visit to London.