“Not bad” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #434 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2008

We stayed one Friday night in this hotel which was 100% full. We tried to check in at 11:00, but the rooms weren't ready, so we left our bags with the concierge and came back later. We had two single rooms overlooking the square, on the third floor. The room was small but had plenty of furniture, although the wardrobe was very small for anything other than a short stay. You had to manoeuvre round the easy chair to get into the bathroom.
The bar service (at 11pm) was very slow and the staff didn't seem to be in any hurry to clear away empty glasses from the tables. The bar was very busy.
When I checked the room on arrival, I noticed the heated towel rail in the bathroom wasn't working and I mentioned it to reception, who said they would send someone up to fix it. It wasn't fixed during my stay. I think the towel rail was the only form of heat in the bathroom, so it was quite nippy when I had a shower the next morning!
The bed was comfortable and despite facing the main street, the room was remarkably quiet. I only heard one lot of guests making their way past. The bathroom was fine, apart from the lack of heating, shower worked well and everything else was OK too.
We had breakfast included in the rate and this is where the hotel let itself down. We had to queue to get into the small restaurant, and queue again to get to the buffet. The cereals and juices were separate from the main buffet and were easy enough to obtain, although the juice jugs were all empty and there were no glasses available.
The fruit and yoghurts etc and the hot breakfast were all in the same place, so the same queue was serving two different parts of the buffet, it would have been better to separate them. the food was OK, but the value at £19 was appalling, I'm just glad it was included in my room rate. This is an OK hotel, and I'd happily stay again.

• Liked — It's position
  • Disliked — Cold bathroom and overpriced breakfast
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank mktraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Darlington (uk)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2008

After having difficulty finding a room in London we eventually ended up at the Russell Hotel in Russell Square. The location is ideal for getting to most areas of London, but it is very expensive!

My room excluding breakfast was £250 and this was a standard room. Outside the hotel is very grand and the entrance and reception areas don’t disappoint. The rooms themselves are more like small studio flats. The layout was very stylish and modern with a flat screen and LCD TV and chrome and glass bathroom fittings.

After checking in and getting ready to go out for the evening I gave the bar a try. As with a lot of hotels I ended up having to have an argument over my room allowance which they didn’t have a record of until they bothered to check! The bar wasn’t very well managed as there was only one draft beer left out of three and one choice of bottled larger. Everything else was “out of stock”. After our night out we tried the bar again. £16 for two glasses of standard scotch. Yes that’s right a total rip off. We calculated they must be knocking a £18 bottle of whisky out for about £75!

The breakfast area was excellent with carved sculptures in the ceiling a really grand area, and the selection of breakfast options was pretty good.

Overall this hotel is beautiful and in an excellent spot, but is extremely expensive and I’m sure there are equally good hotels in London for a better price.

• Liked — The location and fantastic styling
  • Disliked — The over the top prices
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank graemeboro

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Milton Keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

The Russell is a stone's throw from the tube which is brilliant. Staff on check in were nice, very polite and the reception area was impressive. Our room was a curious offering, in one of the turrets - and as you'd expect, was a round room! With that in mind it wasn't a huge room, but it was comfortable. We had a small problem with heating, and after reporting it, a maintenance guy arrived promptly to fix it. Bathroom was lovely, almost new, well maintained and very clean - fabulous shower and fluffy towels. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, we tend to find them too pricey if you don't get a deal with it included, but there's a mini-mart not far and a couple of cafes either within walking distance or a hop or two on the tube. We did eat in the bar for a lunch which was nice and a generous portion and price wise, wasn't bad for a London hotel. We booked late and consequently got a good deal. We walked from there to the British Museum, probably about a 15 minute walk, but worth a visit if you get the chance, it's just a great place. And if you want a breath of fresh air from your hotel room, you have the gardens of Russell Square opposite.
All in all, a good London Hotel at a good rate even without late booking discounts. I'd definitely stay again.

• Liked — Location - close to tube and museum
  • Disliked — The room was smaller than I would have liked
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissV-MiltonKeynes
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

Having been to this hotel before my wife and I wished to share our experience with our children, so I booked in June for New Years Eve. In total we paid £400 for 2 rooms. The rooms were on the 3rd floor and were comfortable with no issues. Th problem came when my 3 daughters went for breakfast to be told that breakfast was £19 each plus unless they gave a credit card they would have to leave. I had left my Card inprint on check in which they failed to note. We were very disapointed and I rasied this on check out only to be told we could go and have breakfast at that point. Sad to say that 5 people for breakfast at £100 in total spoiled our first day in 2008 especially when I was told that continetal breakfast was in the price at the time of booking.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Chris S
oxfordshire uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

Visited new Years Eve Booked via website (e bookers) fabulous room, upgraded on registering, very clean, wll appointed and great for London on NYEve. Cant fault the place. Excellent !

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank southmoor
Stockton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

I initially booked a room in the Novotel and was informed 2 weeks before my arrival date that they had over booked so they offered me a room in the Russell Hotel. I read the reviews and was a little anxious, however the room was small but clean and well equiped. The staff were friendly and the location is fab, literally less than 1 minute from the tube. Only downside, breakfast is manic, you need to be in the restaurant before 8.15 if you want to avoid a lengthy queue and it was just ok nothing special and let the hotel down a little. I would go back though but would prefer to use a local cafe for breakfast next time. Bars are close by and are some what cheaper than the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast queues
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank PeterG78
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2007

We did and were very sorry. It is very overpriced, and inedible, far below expectation even for a buffet.

We were also very disappointed in the hotel. The room was mediocre and would classify as terrible for the price. The staff was indifferent, way too busy to assist. We needed to print a boarding pass, which they refused to help with, but guided us to their 7 pound internet facility.

I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed May 2007