“Some good, some bad”

Ranked #297 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Toronto
“Some good, some bad”
Reviewed August 6, 2008

The Marriott Regents Park was a mixed bag, in my opinion.
The Good:
- 5 minute walk to Swiss Cottage (Jubilee line) and 15-minute walk to Finchley Road (Metropolitan line). This was handy having 2 subway lines to access, as it made it easier to get around to different parts of London.
- The neighborhood around the hotel is mostly residential, but there were tons of shops and stores on Finchley Road (Subway, McDonalds, ATMs, Waitrose, etc). We used these a lot as they were only about 5-10 minutes from the hotel.
- The exercise club is very nice.
- The pool is good for families and young children.
- The 2 double-bed room we had was big enough to hold our 4 family members and our luggage for 5 nights.

The Bad:
- Service at this hotel was below my expectations of a Marriott.
E.g. it took 2 days/2 requests to get a plugged sink in our room fixed.
- The staff really wasn't that friendly, or didn't really go out of their way to help you.
- This hotel has THE slowest elevators in the UK. Everybody commented on this during our stay, even the staff!
- The breakfast options were expensive--Full breakfast buffet for an adult was 17 pounds, continental was 13, kids were 6. For our family of 4 that was 43 pounds (close to $90CDN)!!! Needless to say, we only did that on one morning.
- This hotel has the in-room pants press, but does not have an iron.
- The blow-dryer is not in the bathroom--rather it was glued to a drawer in the desk in the room.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank David A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I agreed with RomaLucy's review after staying from 19th to 26th in July with our 11yr old daughter (2 adults, 1 child).

We arrived 1:15pm and was told that room be ready in about 1 hour and our luggages could be stored for safe keeping. We were offered a room with 1 King Size bed as booked / pre-paid via expedia.ca. The Front Desk person offered us to change to a room with 2 double beds if we found problem in sleeping arrangement. We did not take the offer but obtained a extra temporary bed instead.

We did not realized breakfast was included and were glad to find out when we asked the Front Desk about cost of breakfast. The buffet breakfast is wonderful to start our day.

Yes, the elevators were slow; we stayed at 2nd floor and could not find the staircase unless we use the fire-exit. Only 2 (out of 3) elevators would stop (on the way down) at 2nd floor and they were always full during morning tourist rush hours. On the 3rd day, we pushed both "Up" and "Down" buttons and got into the elevator (all 3) even if it were going up. This allow us to get downstairs without long wait.

The housekeeping needed constant written reminder to give us 3 sets of towels after initial 2 days of calling housekeeping to bring us extra towel when we returned after a full day of sightseeing. I also left a note asking the housekeeper to change the coffee mug after 2 days (we did not rinse the mug after trying out one tea bag and left it on the tray). This is the only negative experience we had.

All personels working at this hotel were very friendly and professional.

Overall, this hotel offers very good value for family travel / vacation, its location is good, room size is similar to what North Americans expectation, and short walking distance to Underground (Swiss Cottage), or even taking bus to various tourist attractions.

If we travel to London again, we will choose to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Room Size, Breakfast
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
yorkshire
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Hotel overall was good, but a few items in the room required maintenance.
I used the pool area twice during my stay and both times came out of the shower to get my towel, to be greeted by a man (different men each day). Neither of these male staff were in a great hurry to move and one would not move or look away while I walked past to collect my towel (I initially remained in the shower area for 5 minutes but he would not leave so I had to walk past him)
I was informed by reception that this was something that did not happen at their hotel, although it happened to me twice in 2 days and neither occasion was there a note on the door to advise men may access the area or did either man shout to inform they were in the changing area.
Be prepared to model your birthday suit ladies!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — being seen naked
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank FrancessL
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I am a Marriott reward member and always try to book Marriott's when available. I frequently travel to London for weekends away, and this time decided to stay at Marriott Regents Park. I travelled with my partner, so was hoping for a relaxing but fun weekend and maybe a bit of romance! We booked tickets to see the car show at Excel and then see Kylie in Concert at the 02. We arrived Friday evening and left Sunday afternoon.

Previously Marriott experiences have been very good in London, but we decided to try Regents Park as they had a decent deal of a 'Visa Olympics Package' which invovled breakfast for 2, a £100 voucher for a future weekend 2 night stay ( I have used one of these before, and it was a great deal!) and a free gift.

I booked the hotel package 2 months in advance, and so far have always been lucky enough to get 'upgraded' to an executive room when I've stay at Marriott hotels, however on this occassion it was not done and i was slightly dissapointed. Our normal 'delux' room as they call them was very nice, spacious which can be unusual in London, very clean, had a nice little balcony which over looked the entrance, the normal AC, king size bed which was very very comfy and a clean (yet rather small) bathroom. Some hotel rooms can be kinda 'dark' (which for a woman, is a pain when u want to do your hair, makeup etc and your partner is in the bathroom!) but this was light and airy.

The room was not very 'sound proof' and if you are a light sleeper, you may struggle with noise from people in the halls, etc. To be fair the hotel was fully booked, and there was a wedding party one night which caused a bit of extra noise late on the the hallways.

Unfortunately, the hotel staff could not seem to cope with the hotel being fully booked - not enough staff to check us in or out , waiting 15 min in a queue to get breakfast at 10:15am (they say not to go during their peak hours of 9-10am so we went later!) and once seated, we noticed plenty of empty tables around us that they were slow to fill even with a queue! On a plus note, they had a man making balloon shapes for children in the restaurant over breakfast, which was a nice touch for the kids and something I have not seen a hotel do before!! The breakfast was very good thou, you didnt have to queue up at the breakfast bar once you finally got a table and there was always plenty there. Also their breakfast hours were 6-11am which was good for a weekend- allows a lie-in!

The worst thing about the hotel was the ELEVATORS! only three and you would wait ages on your floor to be taken downstairs. Everyone was complaining about it. Also although it looks nice in the photos, the pool and changing rooms were horrible. Very dirty, things broken/falling apart. In the female changing room, water was leaking from the sealing into a giant plastic container - directly over the hairdryers! I assumed they must be switched off - until I saw a young girl (only about 11 years old!) dry her hair using one! Not at all safe!!!!! The floor was covered in water missing the plastic container! I dont think this would pass a health and safety visit!

During the week, the pool has adult only hours but NOT at weekends. My partner and I arrived back about 10 pm on Friday hoping for a relaxing swim in the pool, only to find it full of kids up to 11pm. Most were unsupervised, running around, screaming. The hotel assistant just ignored them. The pool was also freezing cold and didnt seem well cared for. We didnt use it again!

On a plus note, the hotel is about a 2 minute walk from Swiss Cottage Tube station, and the neighbourhood is very nice and we felt safe walking late at night from the tube to the hotel. The Jubilee line allowed us direct access to the 02 arena and Excel (about 40 min journey) and also easy access (about 15 min) into town - Bond St, Victoria, etc.

One guest we spoke to whilst waiting for an elevator told us that the hotel used to belong to Holiday Inn and was bought by Marriott. I'd say that it needs a lot of work to get up to the 'luxury 4* hotel' that it is advertised as... I'd say a 3 star, and not worth the £300 in total that I paid for my 2 night stay!!!!!!!!! We will not be returning!

• Liked — Location - easy access to tube into town, quick journeys!
  • Disliked — Hotel not up to normal Marriott or 4* standard - hotel staff also couldnt cope with it being busy!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fiestycowgirl
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We stayed here with our 2 daughters for 2 nights from July 30th-August 1st. Room 346 which had 2 double beds which cost £280 without breakfast through Marriott's own website. Hotel is only a 5 min walk from Swiss Cottage tube ( take exit for Avenue East out of tube station, turn left walk to traffic lights, left again and you will see Marriott ahead of you by another set of traffic lights, once you cross road entrance is to the right). This hotel is ideal for families, the pool can be used from 8am-8pm with children, but if you want peace and quiet adults have sole use between 6am-8am and 8pm-11pm. The changing facilites and the overall appearance of the pool, stairs to get from changing rooms etc is definately in need of refurbishment, missing ceiling tiles, rusty pipes in ceiling and the stairs from changing rooms to pool held down with duct tape!!! and dirty. The pool, sauna and steam room are actually quite clean but the other parts mentioned do detract from it. We didn't eat here so can't comment on breakfast etc. Rooms were clean spacious and well equipped, hairdryer, trouser press, iron and ironing board, toiletries in bathroom etc all you would expect, they seem to have been recently refurbished. Lifts were the slowest we've ever encountered and several people also commented on this, waiting more than 5 mins for a lift is OTT. Convenience for getting into London was great 2 stops from Baker St for Madame Tussauds, then change here for Leicester Sq which was only another 3-4 stops and you are in the middle of London. Overall a good hotel for families who want to visit London at a reasonable price.

• Liked — Clean spacious room
  • Disliked — Poor changing facilities and cleanliness of stairs in the pool, and those lifts!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank JackMan_ValleyGirl
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for one night mid-week, using a Hyatt voucher redemption.

The hotel is a 1970's block just off Swiss Cottage, near-ish to Regents Park and handy for some nice parts of North London.

Exterior and lobby were very typical Marriott - nice enough.

Check-in was a bit slow. There were no rooms available with our bed preference, strange as my wife is a Hyatt Gold member. Anyway, we got to our room and it was quite nice - fairly newly renovated, and the bathroom was also pleasant. Didn't seem the housekeeping had finished their job though. It was a bit dusty, and the minibar was not re-stocked fully. Also, a previous guest had left some sort of cold meat (salami or bacon) in the mini-bar! That was really nice, huh?! We asked someone to remove it.

The 'balcony' was like something out of a sink estate tower block.
Very dirty and covered in pigeon droppings. Adjacent to our balcony was a very unpleasant 'black hole' containing rubbish and old newspapers. We shut the doors and went out.

Had a good night's sleep, when we awoke the bill was put under our door. As well as our room service snacks (which were OK but took 45 mins to arrive), we had been charged for the stay, even though we were using a voucher. And the room rate was 325 pounds!!! Yes, you saw it right, 325!!! For a mediocre room in the back of beyond! All was sorted OK on checkout, however after seeing that room rate I was thankful that I was not footing the bill - if so I would have done some serious complaining.

So a mixed bag in all, decor and rooms are OK internally, but housekeeping and balcony were sub-standard. And the rate is really taking the mickey, but I guess that's supply and demand for you.

• Liked — Location convenient for Kentish Town
  • Disliked — Slack cleaning, extortionate rates.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JCSide
Newfoundland
Reviewed July 5, 2008

My husband and I, along with our 2 teenage daughters, just spent 6 nights in a Family Room at the London Marriott Regents Park. We had an absolutely wonderful stay there. It's close proximity to the Swiss Cottage Tube made travelling anywhere in the city very easy. There were also stores nearby the tube that we frequently used: eg. Subway, KFC, McDonalds, a drug store, a Marks and SPencer food store. The location could not have been better.

Check in by a gentleman named Sanford was without incident. He was especially nice as well as were all other staff we met throughout our stay.

The complimentary breakfast was just fabulous. Hot and cold. Plus a chef was there to make your own special omelet or waffle if you wished.

The beds were very comfy. There were 2 large queen sized beds in our room.

Computer access was available in our room even tho it came with a hefty cost....75 pounds for one week. The internet also was down for about a day and a half, but there was no problem getting a 25 pound credit for that when we checked out.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Marriott again if I went to London, which I shall surely do in the future.

• Liked — Service and cleanliness of the hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family