“Not a 5-star hotel”

Ranked #506 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Upon arrival, I had to search for a bellman to help with my luggage. They were good about storing the luggage and associated it with the room, so I didn't need a ticket. They reminded me to just check the ticket for the "5" bags when I did check in. Upon check-in, I saw the tag and it said "3" instead of "5". The clerk said it was the right tag for my room, but I insisted that I had 5 bags. He looked confused. After a few minutes of this back and forth, we went to the luggage room and I pointed out my bags. That took a while too as I had to show him the right 5 bags about 4 times.
We go up to our room and it's nice. Nicer than what I remember booking. Then the phone rings in the room. The same clerk said he gave us the wrong room. We went back the elevators and he came up with the new keys. We got to the "new" room and it was about 1/2 the size and no view.
Worst thing was the bathtub/shower. It was elevated so the high clearance was so low that my husband, who is not that tall, hit is head just getting in. Also, the towel warmer did not work.
Furnishings were nice. Luggage came up promptly.
Hotel is well located and easy to find. Concierge was not helpful. I asked for a recommendation for a noodle shop and he just said - Go to Chinatown. No names of places. Just a neighborhood with lots of noodle shops, most of which looked not so great. I also asked for the closest Le Pain Quotidien and he was completely wrong. Honestly, Google Maps was more helpful and informative than this concierge.
We came back to the hotel at around 11pm. The door was locked. This is a 5-star hotel? There was a security guard there watching us try to open a locked door for about a few minutes. After a while, we saw a small card reader and put our card in and the door unlocked. I have never been at a 5-star hotel that locks it's door. Isn't that what a doorman is for? The elevators already had key access required, so I'm not quite sure why the door had to be locked too. Definitely not a 5-star experience. If this hotel marketed itself as 4 star, none of this would have bothered me. But, I expected more. Checkout experience was fine.

Room Tip: We were put in a room that seemed to be in some sort of annex. The bathroom ceiling there was way to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VR1235
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Vidya 1,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

We highly appreciate your comments. I was disappointed to hear that your recent experience at the hotel did not meet your expectations and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I was concerned reading your comments about your arrival experience especially with regards to the luggage handling. Please rest assured that I will share your detailed feedback with my team. The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

If you would like to talk through any of the issues in more detail please feel free to contact my office directly. I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from giving us a second try on your next visit to London.

Sérgio Leandro

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was our first stay at this excellent hotel which would have received excellent except for an
an unfortuate incident, regarding thoughtless guests in the neighbouring room, who spent 90 mins from 3am to 4.30am, continually banging doors and yelling with the lady finally running down the corridor. My daughter and I had a cup of tea and at 5 am my daughter went down to do her gym session a little earlier than expected. Next morning reception dealt brilliantly with the matter and we were transferred to another room whilst we shopped and were advised by mobile phone when the room was available. We were later advised we should have contacted reception whilst the action was happening. Another minor problem was the housekeeper failed to top up our tea, coffee etc. and when I advised reception after a day's shopping, a tray of tea for two arrived, which had to be signed for. It was added to our leaving bill but well worth it.
We were really impressed with the effiency and friendliness of the staff, loved the hotel and its facilities and being perfectly situated for the shops, we had a good 3 days shopping in Regent Street, Oxford Street and Covent Garden area, as well as a trip to the Piccadilly Theatre and a river trip on the Thames with the Thames Jet Speed Boat, which we absolutely loved.
Thank you to all the staff at the Meridien - we hope to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear 186340jean186340,

Thank you for sharing your impressions on this platform following your first stay here at Le Meridien Piccadilly.

Our aim is to provide excellent services at all times and it was encouraging to see that you appreciated the professional service provided by our Guest Services Team following a night with some noise disturbances. They are a great asset to the hotel and I will certainly share your kind words with them. Indeed the hotel’s unique location within the heart of London is ideal for business and leisure alike and I am grateful you have taken the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

We do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable stays at Le Meridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

When you pay top dollar for a hotel in London you can never really be sure if it will be a sterile corporate experience or a warm and welcoming bolt hole away from home. Well this hotel sits in the middle and that's no bad thing. The room was very comfortable, the staff always helpful without being intrusive and the breakfasts had lots of alternatives to choose from. The only negative was the cost of the drinks from the bar on the ground floor, but hey it's London what did I expect! I would certainly stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kevin E,

Thank for choosing to stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

It was pleasing to discover that you had an enjoyable and memorable time here at Le Meridien Piccadilly. I was encouraged to read that you appreciated both product and services that you have received by all our associates. Indeed, our hotel is located in the City Centre of London well located for business and leisure travellers. With regards to your comments about the cost of the drinks, please rest assured that our pricing is in line with our competitors however we will certainly take your feedback on board in order to look into improvement opportunities.

We hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards

Sérgio Leandro

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We tried out the bar and were veey impressed with the standard of cocktails although the bar staff took their time to the point where we thought our drinks were forgotten about: they were just worth the wait. We were unhappy with the food, we didnt quite get what we ordered due to the kitchen coming to the end of service; but we were not told of this and given option of changing our order just had things substituted which was annoying. Nice cosy bar interesting mix of old arvhitecture with new decor

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear RosieC26,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions following your visit to our Longitude Bar.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in service you have experienced whilst visiting our Longitude Bar. This is certainly not the high standard of service we are striving to achieve but please rest assured that I am liaising with our Bar team to look into improvement opportunities. It was encouraging to discover that you enjoyed the quality of the cocktails and the Bar’s chic environment with a mixture of classical and modern elements.

Once again, thank you for your time and contribution and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night and have to say what a lovely hotel. The service was quick and friendly and the rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable. At breakfast we were spoilt for choice with food options and the restaurant offered a very relaxed atmosphere. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hinny4

Dear Hinny4,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

It was encouraging to see that you had an enjoyable stay and appreciated all services provided by our associates. They are all working tirelessly to make every guest feel special and rest assured that I will personally share your kind comments with them. With regards to your breakfast feedback, having breakfast in our Terrace Restaurant with its glass rooftop overlooking historical Piccadilly is indeed an unrivalled experience to start off the day.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at Le Meridien Piccadilly. We are very much looking forward to word to welcome you back in the very near future.

Le Meridien

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We obviously like this hotel otherwise it would not be our 4th visit in less than 2 years!
Nevertheless the service can be very different from one employee to the other. From the best to the opposite.

Thanks to Virginie lately and Stefan in the past our stays always turned out to be excellent. They represent the kind of helpfull employees looking for solutions and make you feel like an hotel guest. They bring a great value to the hote. If possible, we shall choose Le Meridien Piccadily again. We also recommend this hotel to new potential guests.

The breakfast lounge at the first floor should be a little bit more furnished. Not much but a little more.

Room Tip: All the rooms we had were good or very good. The best one are at the end of corridors, far from the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dommeldange
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Dommeldange,

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your recent stay on TripAdvisor and for your loyalty towards Le Meridien Piccadilly.

It was encouraging to read that you had an enjoyable time with us and I was particularly delighted to discover that Virginie and Stefan from our Guest Services Team positively contributed to make your time with us a memorable one. I have shared your comments with them as they both are dedicated to make every guest feel special. I am thankful for your constructive feedback with regards to the Club Lounge furniture; please rest assured that we will certainly look into improvement opportunities.

Thank you again for your feedback and choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again to Le Meridien Piccadilly on your future trips to London.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We've opted again for Le Meridien Piccadilly for our annual "girl's weekend' in november (why change a winning team? ;-) ) and again we were not let down! On the contrary, there where we thought it couldn't get better, they proved us wrong! We had asked for the same room as during our stay in August and although it is always subject to availability, they managed to meet our request. What always strikes me the most it that they make you feel at home, the minute you walk through the doors! From the room maids to the waiters in the restaurant to the staff at the reception, they are all very friendly and helpful! You're not just another client but a real valuated guest! So, needless to say that we're already looking forward to our next stay(s) at Le Meridien Piccadilly!

Room Tip: As we are 2 friends, we're always looking for twin beds: room 607 is a twin room with a view ove...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Manouelle44,

Thank you for choosing to stay again at Le Meridien Piccadilly and for positing your complementing comments on this platform.

I was delighted to read your comments discovering that we met your expectations for your annual girls weekend and I am grateful that you have shared your feedback on TripAdvisor. It was encouraging that you appreciated the friendly and professional service by all our associates. I will be pleased to share your comments with them as they are all working tirelessly to make every guest feel special.

Thank you again for your encouraging review and we do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Meridien Piccadilly. We very much look forward to seeing you in the very near future.