“Disappointed service.... Good location”

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #508 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel through lastmin.com on their secret 5star hotels list as a birthday treat for my fiancé.

Upon arrive at 3:05pm to check in I was advised that our room was not available (despite a 3pm check in time stated on the booking) and then after another 10mins of standing at the check in desk, we were then advised that there was only a twin room available and there was no other room types available due to full occupancy.

I was advised that this is an issue when booking through lastminute.com they are aware of but could not do nothing. This was booking a standard room of which there was not an option for twin or double to be selected.

My fiancés face dropped and I could not believe that a 5 star hotel would have this issue, or booking through lastmin.com would cause such a problem, a problem I have never had booking through other agents or staying at other 5 star hotels!!. I was made to feel it was my fault for booking through lastmin.com and therefore my thought this situation had occurred.

I did not blow a gasket as I did not want to ruin my fiancés birthday anymore or disappoint her further. I have never felt so embarrassed and gutted. I am utterly disgusted of what occurred and the attitude of the staff but more so the fact that it would appear that both Lastmin and the Hotel are aware of the situation but are happy for their customers to be treated this way.

The only reason I agreed to stay is because I had already paid for the room and I did not want to ruin the other plans I had in place for my fiancés birthday. Therefore, to celebrate her birthday I had arranged to stay at a 5 star hotel paying over £200 and we had two single beds pushed together, hardly ideal.

To add, the hotel mini fridge was not fully stocked, It took us 25mins to check in and the Noise from the neighbouring hotel room was clearly audible at low levels, which included TV/Voice and night time activity.

The standard room itself had all the amenitys you would expect for a 5star with good lay out and of a decent size, the decour was not to my liking but maybe others. We had a lovely view of the internal vent extrators which was completely blanked out by the curtains which meant, (when the noise had stopped) you were able to sleep.

The spa/gym area were good, clean and in working order with good changing rooms etc. I must add I had tried to book my partner in for a birthday massage two weeks before our stay only to be told that there was no spa staff in at all that day. I was told I could book in at the sister Hotel the W, of course their spa prices were at least 10% on top. I was also told someone would ring back to let me know if someone was able to get in on that Saturday, alas no call.

Location of the hotel is spot on for Picadilly Circus and the surrounding tourist locations, parks, shops, tube stations etc.

I ordered my otherhald the traditional english as room service in the morning (£27pp), which arrived 20mins later and was spot on in terms of quality of food and very generous with the amount of food actually included.

In all our stay would've been much more enjoyable if I had not been made to look/feel as if it was my fault there was an issue with the booking, plus the length of time it would appear for most things to get arranged.

I would not class this as a five star hotel either.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 310
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Rhino1983

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

I do apologise for the fact that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the Hotel. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the Hotel.

I am truly sorry that on this occasion were unable to accommodate your request for a king bed room and for any delay you may have experienced at check in. Please be advised that the Hotel’s rooms may differ in size and shape as they do in most historic landmark hotels of its age in Central London. Please accept my apologies if the room furnishings did not meet your expectations.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Hotel’s amazing location which is ideal for moving around London with ease and for visiting most of London’s major attractions and sights.
I apologise for any inconsistencies in service you may have experienced during your stay. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss the specific details that led to your dissatisfaction.

I do hope that your mixed experiences will not deter your from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or other Starwood Hotels again when you next visit London. Please feel free to contact my office directly so that I may assist you with the room allocation for your next stay.

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Write a ReviewReviews (2,558)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

After reading a number of reviews, we were initially reluctant to book but nonetheless went ahead and as we still wanted to give the Le Meridien brand a chance.

We checked in for 6 nights (Sun to Sat) and was pleased with the overall room furnishing and amenities which is indeed very good quality. We felt the lobby, lifts , restaurant ( which used to be a swimming pool in the olden days but converted to a restaurant with a transparent roof is a very relaxing place for lunch and dinner ) and overall room quality were very good.

The staff were very helpful and were always at hand to answer any queries. The location is great for nearby shopping and west end shows. We previously stayed at The Langham which is also another good hotel.

Overall for the price Le Medirien is a good stay and well worth the price because of the quality and it's location combined. I will definitely return and they also have nice bar at the basement for easy relaxing nights with good cocktails and drinks list.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnCCK

Dear JohnLeesa C

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for posting your favourable comments.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the Hotel’s perfect location within the heart of London. It was hugely encouraging to read that you appreciated the comfort of your room and the helpful service provided by all of our associates. Our associates are a great asset to the Hotel and I have shared your comments with them.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Terrace Grill and Bar. With its glass top roof it offers excellent cuisine in bright and stylish surroundings overlooking Piccadilly.

Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was here on business for two nights.
The hotel has a terrific location and the rooms are spacious for central London. The decor is a bit dated but everything is clean and working.

WIFI fast but steep at £16 per day. Common compters you have to pay for. This means that you have to pay £3 for printing unless you send docs. to the concierge or upload via a print website. You waste time doing this even though concierge was happy to send docs. to my room. Better if they offered free use of their common computers and avoided this. (Note: printing boarding passes is free.) Scanning via the concierge is very quick and free.

They have a good health club wiht personal trainers who work until 10 PM and a decent sized swimming pool.

No complementary water in room or turn down service.

It's a large hotel with many rooms and so feels like a chain.

The St. James Sofitel down the road is just a bit more expensive but worth it in my view especially as it means I can print documents easily. After the Haymarket Hotel the Meriden is my third go to hotel in this area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank poleinahole1

Dear nikss

Thank you for taking the time to post your favourable feedback on the TripAdvisor website following your stay in December at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you appreciated the spaciousness and comfort of your room as well as the Hotel’s facilities, including the sunny wheather that London is enjoying at present. The Hotel’s location is indeed ideal for moving around London with ease and for visiting most of its major attractions.

I am pleased to advise you that I have shared your kind comments with all the associates as everyone works very hard to deliver Le Méridien Brand standard of service.

Thank you again for your review and we very much look forward to welcoming you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the near future.

Sérgio Leadron

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for a week during mid May, I must say that the hotel was great, rooms were bigger than one can believe in Central London, there was a sense of willingness by the staff of the Hotel to help you from planning your day to arranging special needs for children etc. Location was just perfect just yards away from Piccadily circus tube station and just around the corner was the Regent street for spending time shopping. All in all a great place to be at whether you are on a Holiday or work.

Room Tip: Club level rooms are great
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nikss

Dear nikss

Sérgio Leadron

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Hotel rooms are big for London standards, and comfortable, but they lack in character, very standard, somewhat old decor. The hotel best feature is location: walking distance from many tourist attractions and interesting sites. Perfect for a brief vacation. We stayed there for 6 days, as a couple, and had a great time. The central location made it possible for us to go back to the hotel for a quick nap when we were tired in the middle of the day. Service level is uneven. It is a very big hotel with a small lobby and only a few people attending the front desk. So they are busy all the time, and you have to wait to have a chance to talk to someone. Some of them were extremely attentive and helpful, but there was a girl that had no clue and made us waist a lot of time every time we needed something from her.

Maid service was also somewhat of an issue. They did clean the rooms very thoroughly, but at odd times. In two occasions we went back to the hotel in the middle of the afternoon (around 3 pm), and had to wait for 20 min to access the room because they were still working there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Maria A A

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly for your trip to London and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

It was very pleasing to learn that you had a very enjoyable stay with us and that you appreciated the Hotel’s ideal location within the Heart of London.

I have noted your comments and my apologies for any inconsistency in the service you may have experienced during your stay, the issues you raised I have been addressed with the relevant departmental heads as it is our aim to deliver a professional and friendly service in timely manner.

Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for staying with us. We hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Very nice location- near the best and famous places of London.
The rooms and bathrooms are big. Staff is ready to solve any problem- to book a table in restaurant etc.
Breakfast is excellent -a big choice of meal!

• Stayed: April 2013

Simonetti39

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the Hotel’s special location within the Heart of London as well as appreciating the Hotel’s facilities and service provided by our associates.
We look forward to welcoming you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

After reading reviews prior to our trip , I wasn't sure that we had made a good choice, but felt very compelled to write after our stay. Location was terrific, walking distance to many sites, room was old world awesome and charming, only small disappointment is that we requested earlier check-in (I so realize only a request) after a 4 hr flight delay we still could not check in earlier than stated time , at check out the staff seemed slightly overwhelmed and could have used more help, they were wonderful in acknowledging our 20th anniversary and made us feel special. We were thoroughly pleased with our stay and compliments to some of the nicest staff. Highly recommend this special property, what a gem!!! I would not even look if I returned to London I would stay again!!

Room Tip: we had a fabulous room that was not too noisy ( a big plus for this light sleeper!)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Trish C

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It was great to read that you had a wonderful stay and we made you feel special on your 20th anniversary as well as you appreciating your spacious and well-appointed room. The Hotel’s amazing location in the heart of London is indeed well placed for business and tourism being a stone’s throw away from many major sights, theatre land, fashionable shopping areas and transport links.

It was certainly very pleasing and encouraging to learn that that you appreciated the friendly and helpful service provided by our associates as they are a great asset to the Hotel. I have shared your kind words with the team.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.