“Who ruined the bar?”

Ranked #528 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Geneva, Switzerland
“Who ruined the bar?”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We come here every once and a while when there's a good show in London.
Since it was partially refurnished, there are truly some pros and unfortunately cons.

The top 3 pros:
1. Friendliness of service. Reception was just perfect and we got a beautiful upgrade as SPG Gold members.
2. Location. Just off Leicester square, 5 minutes from Covent Garden, theaters, etc., you couldn't be much more central.
3. Comfort. The rooms are OK, great comfortable beds, globally quiet considering the noise of the street.

The worst cons:
1. The "new bar" would loose any contest whether it had to do with elegance, comfort or taste. I felt as if we were in the chicken class backroom of some crappy joint. Uncomfortable plastic chairs and hard cheap plastic hard banquettes, down in the basement. Unacceptable for this type of quality hotel. Avoid it, especially if you have a date!
2. The price. I don't mind paying a high price for high standards, and London is known not to come cheap. However if a hotel wants to play it grand, then the business center, lounge, breakfast etc should be in line. Unfortunately, these amenities are in line with an average tourist hotel and not a higher end hotel which the Meridien tries to promote.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loverly4u2
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Loverly4u2

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It was good to read that you on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you appreciated the friendliness and helpfulness of the associates especially at our Front Office. I have shared your kind comments with all of them. I was also delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel’s amazing location in the Heart of London, it is indeed well placed for business and tourist.
The Longitude 0°8' Bar’s design does mix more traditional elements with modern touches reflecting the rich history of the Hotel since its opening in 1908, whilst at the same time achieving a more contemporary look and feel. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon. We will hopefully convince you that we are indeed a very special hotel.

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully furnished room with modern decorations & everything thought out to the last detail. Waterfall shower & a fabulously comfy massive bed. Even the shower cap fit & there was a spare plug socket by my bed! . The staff couldn't have been more welcoming or attentive even though we paid a budget price. Location is superb, near Oxford St,  Soho & Leicester Square. A bit noisy at night, but it was a Saturday night, I couldn't really expect less. Will def stay again!

• Stayed June 2013
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Holdihel

Thank you for staying at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

It was a great pleasure to read your wonderful comments regarding your stay and that you had a most enjoyable time with us as well as appreciating our contemporary look and feel room.
Our location is indeed ideal for moving around London and for visiting most of its major attractions, sites and theatre, it is difficult to be more central in London than at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Once again, thank you for posting your kind comments and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.

w
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed in Le Meridien last night while in London on business. In summary it was a convenient location for my purposes but nothing really special given the price. I doubt I would choose to stay there again.

The stay got off to a rocky start when I was downgraded on arrival to a regular room from a deluxe. I guess this was due to my arrival after 8 pm (although the hotel was aware of this when I booked and reminded the day before). I was given a twin room and asked to be changed to a room with a bigger bed- it was small and in a strange narrow corridor off the back of the hotel but at least the bed was a decent size.

The room was clean but a bit shabby. I tried unsuccessfully to turn down the air conditioning which was both noisy and too cold- I ended up sleeping with ear plugs in and felt a bit rubbish in the morning because of the cold, which was a shame because the bed itself was really comfortable. The shower was ok- ok pressure although temperature controls a bit fiddly. Breakfast the following morning was good although I was a bit surprised that there was only whole milk set out- I had to ask for skim or soya.

I had a drink in the bar- nice atmosphere and good service although standard central London prices. I also used the sports club downstairs. Equipment was sparse but well cared for, the changing room and shower a bit grotty. They have 2 well-maintained rowing machines, some runners, bikes and a limited selection of weights and weight machines.

The service was very polite and friendly. I felt welcomed and the staff were responsive and professional.

Lastly, Le Meridien has a certain style around it- with funky music playing in the lifts and in the bar and lobby, etc. This would be nice if you were there on a break but after a long day of business meetings I would have liked somewhere calmer and more peaceful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Weybridge_family
Dear Weybridge_family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

I do apologise for the fact that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the Hotel. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest enjoys their stay at the Hotel.

I am truly sorry for any irregularity in service you may have experienced during your stay which I have addressed with the respective department heads to ensure that Le Méridien Brand Standard is delivered in a consistent manner. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your experience in more detail.

Le Méridien Piccadilly design does mix more traditional elements with modern touches reflecting the rich history of the Hotel since its opening in 1908, whilst at the same time achieving a more contemporary look and feel. Our rooms vary in size and shape and I am very sorry to hear that on this stay the room you were allocated was not to your liking.

Once again please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay. I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London. Please call my office directly and I will be happy to assist with your reservation.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Spent a night last week in this Hotel. The cost was 300 Pounds, the room was small, dark, no view except and airs haft. Had to ask for toiletries, bathrobe. The maid started rapping on the door at 8:00 despite the Do Not Disturb sign. And they have the nerve to charge an additional 16 pounds a day for the internet and 25 pounds for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve S
Dear Mr Steve S

Thank you for posting your comments on the TripAdvisor following your visit to the Hotel.

I do apologise for the fact that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the Hotel. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the Hotel.

The bedrooms may differ in size and shape as they do in most historic landmark hotels in Central London. We would be delighted to assist you in allocating a larger room on your next visit.

Regarding your comments on the internet we feel that we offer a very good value when you purchase a 24 hour internet connection card and I am pleased to advise you that we now provide a free Wi-Fi service in the public areas.

Once more, I am very sorry that we did not meet all your expectations for your stay and I do hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly or Starwood Hotels for your next visit to London. Please feel free to contact my office directly and I will be pleased to assist you with your room allocation.

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sydney
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our second stay here and overall very happy with the experience. We booked a club room on a prepaid stay 4/pay 3 deal which also gave us access to the club lounge and included wifi.

The location, right on Piccadilly just down from Piccadilly Circus, is excellent and the room was very comfortable although the bathroom was a little dated. One minor quibble - I am constantly frustrated by hotels that do not place an available power point near the desk in the room. And for those for whom it is important, note that the range of English language TV channels is limited (no Sky channels for example).

We found the staff to be excellent and very friendly. For example, we arrived very early in the morning on check in day and obviously our room was not ready. However we were provided access to the gym to shower and change and to the club lounge for breakfast.

The club lounge was good and not too crowded. However the range of food items at breakfast and evening canapés seemed more limited than last year.

The gym is adequate and pool is a good size.

One new initiative since we last stayed which is excellent is the option to forego the servicing of the room in return for loyalty points or a food and beverage credit. This is an excellent sustainability initiative, particular for short stays.

Overall we were very happy with our stay and will return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kiwi666Sydney

Thank you for staying with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, we very much welcome your feedback.

It was very rewarding to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the professional and friendly service provided by our associates and I have shared with them your kind comments as everyone works very hard to make sure every guest feels special at Le Méridien Piccadilly. I was also delighted to see that you found your room comfortable and I am pleased to advise you that we are currently planning to review all the power points in all the rooms.

It is very pleasing that you valued the Starwood Hotels and Resorts initiatives “Make a Green Choice” which is becoming very popular with our guests.

We do offer a large range of English TV channels including BBC1, BBC2, BBC4, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, Channel 4, Channel 5 and BBC News 24 as well as a selection of international channels like CNN, CNBC, France 24, and many more. Please accept my apologies if you found the selection to be insufficient.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, we very much look forward to welcoming you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly on your future visits to London.

Best regards

liverpool
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great stay in Feb 2013. Upgraded to a Suite which was amazing!

Location is ideal for central London esp for theatres! Check in was smooth.

There was a piano by the lobby in their internet room which was playable!

Breakfast on the Mezzanine level was a bit tricky to find. Had to use two lifts! Adequate but not great in terms of choices.

No gym or swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Ed_Guntis

Thank you for choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly for your stay in London and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

It was very pleasing to see that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you appreciated your well-appointed suite. Indeed the Hotel is perfectly placed within walking distance to most of the West End theatres and all the major attractions that London has to offer. However, please be advised that we do have a Health Club with well-equipped gym and 13 meters swimming pool that I hope you will have the time and opportunity to experience on your next stay.

Again thank you for staying with us and for posting your review and we look forward to welcoming you to Le Méridien Piccadilly again soon.

Best regards

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Let me start that by saying that most people who visit London for the first time have an unrealistic expectation about room size/appointments etc. Most rooms in London are going to be small by American standards, and this is true for most of Europe. Le Meridien is no exception, and I was pleased with my room.

The decor could certainly use some updating but the food and service was top notch during my stay.

But I cannot exaggerate just how good the location is. You are right in the middle of "The circus" and within walking distance of major attractions like Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square.

I will say however that food/drink prices at the Meridien were...in the stratosphere, but London is ridiculously expensive generally speaking so come prepared.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Manzola
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Manzola

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to London and for posting your kind review on TripAdvisor.

It was great that you had an enjoyable stay with us and it was hugely inspiring and rewarding to know that you appreciated the high quality of food together with the high level of service provided by our associates which comments I have shared with the team.

The location of our Hotel is indeed ideal for moving around London with ease and for visiting the major attractions and sights.

Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.