“2 great things: location & pool (strange, no?)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Piccadilly

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #533 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Cape Town, South Africa
“2 great things: location & pool (strange, no?)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

really, the only great thing about this hotel is the location. it is super central. X the street you've got great restaurant density in Soho / Convent Garden. obviously close to several tube lines, etc. it also boasts one of the largest indoor swimming pools in London - and it was quite lovely to stretch out after a long plane ride (until the children invaded the place at ~ 4 pm). also a surprisingly good gym and steam room.

now, the reasons you don't want to stay here: the ROOMS. disregard the photos on the website. I thought i'd be in a lovely brightly lit large-ish renovated room. No. the rooms are TIRED. old horrible furniture, terrible lighting, even the bed seemed "old"; ever heard of upgrading your power outlets for travelers? no, can't be bothered. toilet leaked. seriously.

oh and pet peeve: one of those silly electronic mini-bars where you are automatically charged if you touch the mini bottle of vodka by mistake. (and this is tragic, as there is a Whole Foods just around the corner - would be nice to be able to store some snacks at least !)

while the staff was really really good and responsive, i got nothin' for my SPG gold membership level either. when i got to the room and rang to ask if they couldn't upgrade me they said no sorry full-up. no other rooms.

this is NOT a 5-star hotel (Expedia gives it a 5-star but then often their hotel ratings are inflated). and more importantly, it is NOT worth the price. we paid ~ $450/ night (no breakfast. hahahaha). and it's usually at least $350/ night. @ that price you can stay 2 or 3 tube stops out in a much_nicer_room.

Room Tip: willing to spend even MORE money? then you could end up a great room ... maybe.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear johkollar

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel’s amazing location in the heart of London, it is indeed well placed for business and tourism. I was also pleased that you appreciated our well-appointed Health Club Health facilities, it is the perfect place to unwind after a long day at work or site seeing. My apologies if you found the swimming pool a little crowded during your stay.

I was very sorry to read that we failed on this occasion to allocate a room to your liking. Our rooms vary in size and views as they do in most hotels in Central London, please accept my apologies for not having met your expectations on this occasion.
It was marvellous to learn that you appreciated the friendliness of our associates and I have passed on your comments to the team, everyone works very hard to make sure every guest feels special at Le Méridien Piccadilly.
I sincerely hope that your mixed experiences will not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit. Please feel free to make your reservation directly through my office so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

Le Méridien Piccadilly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

1 spent 4 nights here (10th - April 14th). This hotel is smack in the heart of the renowned Piccadilly or West End area of London! Busy-busy! Fun! People-watching!

Piccadilly Underground station is just anout 30 meters diagonally opposite the hotel's 'porch'. So so convenient that I caught a train direct to Heathrow Airport Terminal 4 and it's only £5.50!!! Taxi would set you back more than £70!

For foodies, you're spoilt for choice! Walk in any direction and they are at your discretion. For 'skimpies', go to Tesco just behind the Piccadilly Station.

Back to the hotel. I slept a lot! The heavely bed was really cozy that I felt I must enjoy more sleep when it was raining wet outside. I also really appreciate the turndown service and extra little perks given to Starwood Preffered Guests.

The bathroom was not that big especially the wash basin but this is London where every cm or inch of real estate counts, isn't it?

The Club Room breakfast was so-so but how much can I eat with my ever compact tummy? If you prefer more choices, there is an optional menu which you could order. So, no fuss at all! I personally love the yoghurt.

I must say that the front office staff was very helpful which include the receptionist and the doorman. Superb service and well done!

I will stay again the next time I am in London.

Thank you.

Patrick

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank travelparty
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to see that you had an opportunity to catch up on your on sleep in the comfort of your peaceful room whilst it rained in the city. My apologies for the rain but then again England would not be the green and pleasant land it is without it.

It is hugely encouraging that you appreciated the high level of service provided by our associates and particularly our Front Desk Team and the Doorman. They are a great asset to the Hotel and I have shared your comments with them.

Indeed the property has a very privileged position within the heart of London and with easy access to shops, theatres and major historic sites on its door step, as well as being located two minutes walk away from the Piccadilly Circus underground station, buses and other public transport links.

Once again, thank you for posting your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly and hopefully you will then be able to enjoy our wonderful city with some sunshine.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I've never before felt it necessary to take the time to leave a negative review, but after several letdowns and overall poor quality at over £300 per night, I feel something needs to be said.

As a Starwood Member, I was given a special "Preferred Guest" room and access to the Club Lounge for complementary breakfasts. The room was a good size but had large stains on the carpet. Otherwise the room was acceptable but nothing to make it stand out as being in a 5 star hotel.

The breakfast offered in the Club Lounge (exclusively for Starwood Members) was thoroughly disappointing. No hot items whatsoever... meaning no eggs, no bacon or sausage as you would expect at breakfast buffet. What happened to the famous English Breakfast!? We are in England no?

The gym/spa area is however above average with ample room to workout, squash courts, a beautiful swimming pool and steam room. This is the hotel's strong point, but in my opinion, not enough to make up for the essentials that are missing.

Did I mention that despite the price of the room, Internet access is still extra at £0.50 per minute or £16 per day making this review valuable indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear John P

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I do apologise for the fact that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the Hotel. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the Hotel. I have asked the Property Manager to check the room carpet in the room you occupied so that this can be removed.

Please be advised that in the Terrace Grill & Bar we have a buffet with a wide selection and we serve a full English Breakfast as well as having an a la carte menu. We feel that our continental breakfast served in the Club Lounge offers a good value and personalised service to our SPG platinum guests and those who pay for a Club room or suite.
I was pleased learn that you appreciated our Health Club and my sincere apologies for any inconsistency in product you may have experienced during your stay.

I sincerely hope that your mixed experiences will not deter you from choosing Le Meridien Piccadilly for your next visit to London. Please feel free to contact my office to assist you with a room allocation on your next stay.

Trieste, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I spent few nights in this nice but oldish hotel in the west end. For a 5 star hotel I expected something more. The breakfast area is nice and there's a lot of choice but the rooms need a restoration, expecially because the bath looks like "I had nicer periods in my life!!!", and this isn't acceptable for this kind oh hotel. What makes very good this hotel is the position, just few steps from Piccadilly Circus.

Room Tip: The best and more quiet rooms are on the mezzanine of each floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear danieldenoto

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

The Hotel certainly has a privileged location within easy access of all that London has to offer. However, we were disappointed that the room you occupied was not to your liking, although we aim to provide a good value, personalised service to all our guests.

Veneto, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have returned to Le Meridien in London and it is pretty good as usual.
Beside being located in a fantastic spot it boast very courteous staff and good breakfast.
Pity that you must be 18 to have solo access to the Gym, my son (15Y) can fly solo back and forth to boarding school, boards trains and cross London on his own but he is not considered mature enough to train by himself........

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear villaaldegheri

Thank you for your choosing to stay with us again and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to see that you had another enjoyable stay as well as appreciating the breakfast selection provided. The Hotel’s amazing location in the heart of London is perfectly well placed for business and tourism.

It was marvellous to learn that you valued the level of service provided by our associates as they are an excellent asset to the Hotel. I have noted your comments regarding Le Méridien Piccadilly’s policy on access of minors to the Gym. The policy is that during manned hours the age limit for access is 16 years of age and during the hours that the Gym is unmanned you are correct this is 18 years.
Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope that you will continue to make many more enjoyable visits to Le Méridien Piccadilly and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We very much look forward to seeing you again in October.

Zürich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have stayed here a couple of times, and it's consistently good. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. The location can't be beat--minutes from Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, and Trafalgar Square. The only thing that's a tiny bit annoying is the fact that the Club Level closes at 10pm--it would be so nice to come in after a night out and be able to grab a cold bottle of water. Other than that, though, it's wonderful!

Room Tip: The water pressure in the shower seems to get worse the higher up you go.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Megan S

Thank you for staying at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your favourable comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

It was a great pleasure to read your wonderful comments regarding your stay and that you had a most enjoyable time with us as well as appreciating our spacious and beautiful rooms. Although the Club Lounge is closed at night our Longitude 0°8' Bar is the perfect place to visit with its lively and relaxing atmosphere to spend the evening or indeed after a night out to enjoy a drink before turning in for the night.

The Hotel is indeed ideally placed for travelling around London with ease and for visiting most of its major attractions, sites and theatres either on foot or by public transport.
Thank you again for your review and we very much look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Templepatrick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is located in Piccadilly and is convenient to main shopping area's such as Regent Street, Oxford Street and many of the city's other attractions including restaurants and theatres. We had a bit of a drama with our bathroom in that it got flooded while we were out. The night duty responded immediately and we were located into a junior suite which was excellent. The breakfast choices were as you would expect and all the staff I encountered were both very friendly and helpful. Despite the bathroom mishap I really enjoyed the stay here and it's location is just fantastic. I will have no hesitation in going back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim B

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly and for taking the time to post your constructive review on TripAdvisor following your stay.

It was great to learn that you had an enjoyable time as well as appreciating the Hotel’s facilities, especially the junior suite. I was truly sorry that you had to move rooms due to the emergency maintenance issue in your bathroom, however, I was very pleased to read that the Night Manager handled the situation in a professional and efficient manner.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and for posting your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to Le Méridien Piccadilly.