“Okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Le Meridien Piccadilly
Ranked #532 of 1,086 Hotels in London
“Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here with my mum for a one night theatre trip.

Initial impressions were very good, efficient check in, great staff on desk. Room was available straight away (11am) Room was small, but we had booked a basic room do this was acceptable.

We had done a lot of research and paid over my budget for a hotel with leisure facilities. We were really looking forward to this, but we're left dissapointed. Jacuzzi was out of service and pool was too cold to swim in. I'm from Yorkshire, I grew up swimming in the north sea. I can cope with a chillier than average pool, but this was really really cold.

Beds were very comfy, and I was looking forward to a great nights sleep. Sadly, the noise outside was terrible. Two single panes will not soundproof. I know its a historic building, but they will have to rethink this if they refurb.

Breakfast was great, lots of choice and fantastic quality. The restaurant is very beautiful too.

We had to queue a long time to check out, I was then over charged for my massage and when I questioned this, the girl was very abrupt, but it was sorted quickly.

Location wise this place is superb, absolutely ideal for all London shopping theatres etc, tube is right next door. The pay off is that is very loud. I won't be returning, but others will be able to overlook these faults for what is fundamentally a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the lower floors at the front, very loud.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank knebworthkate
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Knebworthkate,

thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I am very pleased to see that you liked the hotel but I am of course sorry for some of the inconveniences you experienced.

We keep the water temperature in our pool at 28 degree celsius, with the outside temperature at 1 degree higher than that. This is based on the recommendations of the Pool Water Technical Advisory Group (PWTAG) and the Amateur Swimming Association. Any temperature higher than 30 degree celcius is deemed to increase the risk of proliferation of bacteria. I am very sorry to hear that you found this to be too cold.

Our rooms are all equipped with double glazing but the hotel is indeed located right in the heart of the city, directly on Piccadilly and Regent Street. Please accept my apologies for your discomfort. I am also very sorry about the confusion at check out but glad to see that it was swiftly resolved.

It would be shame, considering that you really liked our hotel, not to return on your next visit to London. Please do contact me directly for your next reservation and I will be happy to assist you with allocating an inside facing room that, whilst not offering views of Piccadilly or Regent Street, will be in a quieter area of the hotel and thus more suited for you.

Best regards from London,

Oscar del Campo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Caterham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife & I stayed here on an overnight & theatre event. Courteous staff car was whisked away & parked no fuss.Upgraded room was spacious and good decor.
Returned to bar after theatre and was pleased service very good.
Breakfast with a view ! All in all very pleased & very convenient for theatres ,restaurants etc.
Would stay again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Alan D,

thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay here with us - the hotel is certainly well located for all major sights as well as the theatres of the West End. Our Bar staff was particularly pleased to see that you enjoyed your post-theatre drink with them.

Thank you again for your kind words, we hope to be able to welcome you back at Le Méridien Piccadilly on your next trip to London.

Bedford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Check-in OK, but I was asked for ID even though I had pre-paid for the room and breakfast. Maybe they are geared for foreign visiting guests.

The bedroom was well appointed, and had tea & coffee facilities as well as the usual minibar. However there were a couple of niggles, there was no spindle for the loo roll holder and I can't believe that the chamber staff hadn't noticed because they had left fresh loo rolls. Also in both our own room and the one above ours, the floors creaked terribly. We were awoken in the might by the creaky floor from the room above and I suspect the we probably did the same to the guests below us.

Our breakfast was fine and as part of our package I didn't notice the cost. However it's a West End hotel so expect to pay top money.

Our checkout was very simple - no complaints.

Overall the experience was OK but not special. But if you want a predictable quality hotel in central London it's a reasonable choice.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank Chris and Rosem... W
Dear Chris and Rosem W,

thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your time with us - please accept my apologies for the small inconveniences you experienced, I will certainly review your comments with our Housekeeping staff.

We do verify ID for safety reasons and particularly on pre-paid bookings to establish that the identity of the person checking in is also the named person on the credit card used. This helps us protect both our guests and ourselves against credit card fraud. Please accept my apologies if you were inconvenienced in any way.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback - I hope that the small niggles will not deter you from choosing Le Méridien Piccadilly on your next visit to London.

Kind regards,

San Francisco Bay Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Here's the good - Centrally located. Near the Piccadilly station, lot of restaurants, stores, and Hamely's (for the kids). Nice looking hotel. Lounge downstairs.

Here's the bad - Room was ok. But called to have them fix the towel warmer but never could get it working over the three days we were there. Also, had a huge leak (3'X3' ft area) in the ceiling. I mean plaster was bubbling and dripping due to rain. I didn't see it till last night but obviously, it's been leaking for awhile. I told front desk, but they didn't do much about it. They offered to move us but again it was the last night. Can't believe housekeeping didn't see it beforehand. When I checked out they just said "sorry" and would tell the manager. They never tried to rectify or compensate for inconvenience on the spot nor did they ever follow up. It wasn't until I complained through the corporate site then they addressed the issue.

Unless you get this place at an awesome deal, the service and the room will be questionable at best.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
LEMERIDIENPICCADILLY, General Manager at Le Meridien Piccadilly, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Samwise001,

thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly back in April of this year.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. Rest assured that we have addressed the issue you raised with our team to avoid a recurrence in future.

I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from giving us another chance on your next visit to London. Please do make your booking directly through my office so that I may assure you of my personal attention.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

The staff (front desk, duty manager, club lounge) are very courteous and responsive. The club rooms are in good condition, well appointed, and spacious. I've been in more impressively designed and furnished Meridiens, but this one is more than adequate. The Club Lounge was fine, but it's not top-of-list compared to the lounges of other Starwood properties in major cities that I've experienced. It has a size and layout issue, and can get cramped during breakfast and evening hors d'oevres; the food selection is good but not outstanding. It is nonetheless quite convenient to have, and I appreciate the tea, coffee, and beverages that are available all day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Globaling,

thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed both your Club Room as well as the service provided by our associates.

Our Club Lounge is generally well received, offering complimentary continental breakfast, drinks and snacks at lunch and dinner time for Club Level guests. I am sorry to hear that you encountered it too busy at times, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

I very much hope to be able to welcome you back at Le Méridien Piccadilly in the not too distant future.

Kind regards from London,

Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as a group, and selected this hotel for it's position and restaurant rating. The position in piccadilly is great other than that everything else was a bit of a let down. Very poor check in experience none of the hotel features explained to us. Why would I be expected to carry photo id to check into a hotel in my home country, when I informed the staff I do not carry this type of id the comment was "you British never have id" I then asked the girl which country she was from and when told asked her if she carries her passport around with her in the UK, she doesn't!
We ate in the terrace restaurant which I would only describe as average but at a high price. Breakfast was also a poor experience with not enough staff on duty to clear tables efficiently making the area look a mess.
Would I return to this hotel, probably not particularly at the prices they charge for the service and quality they offer.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MyMateInEssex,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly.

Please accept my apologies for your experience at check in. You are of course correct in saying that there is no legal requirement for UK residents to carry photo ID, however as a hotel we also have to comply with the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order which required us to record certain type if information from both British and Foreign nationals. The easiest and most secure way of verifying this information is through a valid photo ID. I am very sorry to hear that our check in staff handled the situation so poorly.

I nevertheless hope that you might give us another opportunity on your next visit to London to show you that we can do better.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had our double room all to myself one night, and it was fabulous! Huge room, large soaking tub, it was like an apartment! I was expecting a shoe box, given what most of London hotel rooms are like, but it was bright, and gigantic. However, my dad and his wife stayed in a King room that was very tiny. While the room was darling, they felt very cramped. So, maybe it is just better for doubles? Not sure, but I was very happy with my room, and we could walk most places around town pretty easily (though we are in very good shape, and can walk 10+ miles with no problem). Piccadilly is a bit overwhelming, but luckily, the hotel seems to be away from the craziness.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emery M
Dear Emery M,

thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your stay at Le Méridien Piccadilly a few months ago.

I was delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Room sizes can vary depending on the category booked. Please accept my apologies if you felt that the second room was too small.

We are indeed located right in the heart of London but still provide an oasis of calmness amongst the hustle and bustle of Piccadilly.

I sincerely hope that we will continue to be the hotel of your choice should your travels take you back to London one day.