“Treat for my family ”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #331 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

I almost rated this a 10 until I got to checkout!
Last night I booked 2 rooms at this hotel, totaling to over £600+. On arrival all seemed well even though one of the rooms smelt like damp carpet, ( The King room). I had The Queen, a little disappointed that neither room had a bath which is what I was looking forward to most of all.

As we arrived late we had to make do with room service which was fairly quick and piping hot. Didn't really enjoy my shower as it's not the same as a good soak and I'm not a fan of the raindrop shower especially if you don't to get your hair wet and the shower caps didn't fit properly,but I made do.

Breakfast was wonderful just like last time I stayed. I was not impressed with the service I received at check out! I mentioned to the rude South African receptionist that there was no water in one of the rooms last night. He was quite dismissive telling me that water was only for the Silver points holders. It came as a surprise to this rude man when I told him water was in the a Queen suite but not the King!

He attempted to argue with me as he talked down to me saying I should've requested it last night! And he don't think anyone will bring it to reception....I said you was quick enough to take my £600+ though. As soon as I mentioned this was going down as a complaint, he quickly got on the phone and contacted somebody to bring the water to reception. I also had to prompt him to add my
Points for both the rooms.

Other than his stinking attitude, I found my stay to be extremely pleasant and would plan a third visit .

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank MissmoneyPenny21
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Missmoneypenny 21,

Thank you for once again choosing to stay at The Waldorf Hilton during you recent visit to London.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your loyalty to our Hotel and your feedback is invaluable.

We were glad to read your review and your comments about the hotel. I have noticed your comments about the check out procedure. Please accept my sincere and profuse apologies for any inconvenience caused and please note that I have discussed this matter with the relevant team member and departmental head for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit to the area. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Waldorf Hilton London

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Well where do i start, the hotel was out of this world,service was great, meal was also great, we had a super 1 night stay but please remember you do pay for what you get, this hotel is great if you want to stay in 5 *

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
EChristiaanse, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Rockyontour,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Waldorf Hilton London.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We have stayed at the Hilton Waldorf many times and really like the hotel for its location and quality accommodation. We reserved our accommodation online requesting a King Hilton Executive non-smoking room in November. On arrival we were told that there were no non-smoking rooms available but a smoking room that had been thoroughly cleaned was being allocated as non-smoking over the busy period. We were not very happy but we were willing to look at the room. On entering the room, both my husband and I could immediately detect that is was a smoking room and there was even an ash tray on the coffee table. We poned reception and told them we were not willing to accept this room and after waiting an age for a return phone call decided to return to reception. We were then allocated an executive non-smoking room that had been allocated to a guest that had not yet arrived. We were offered a down graded room for the first night with the option of a suite the following evening but as we were only staying for two nights and had a full itinerary the next day, it wasn't worth the hassle of packing and unpacking. It did put the dampeners on our New Year's eve celebrations. We did receive a card and a complimentary bottle of wine from the guest relations manager as an apology for the inconvenience caused but I still maintain that if you make a booking in advance it should be honoured - even at busy times of year.
Despite this episode, we still like this hotel and the executive lounge is comfortable and the staff there are very welcoming. We appreciated the access to the computer to print out our tickets for the Shard and the theatre.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lalariv

Dear Lalariv,

Dear Sir\Madam,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share your review through Tripadvisor related to your previous visit at The Waldorf Hilton London.

We greatly appreciate all comments made by our guests, whether positive or for our development as it allows for continued improvement in that which is most important to us, our guest service.

I was really concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry you were disappointed.

I have taken onboard your comments in regards to the overall experience, especially the short falls you encountered with the smoking room which was allocated to you whilst an non smoking room was booked. We are known for our excellent customer service, however on this occasion this was not the case and I understand how frustrating it must have been for you.

I have spoken to the relevant departmental heads regarding this matter and I am confident this was only a one off occasion. As Hotelier's we aim to exceed expectations at every opportunity and on this occasion we have clearly failed. I truly hope that you give us the opportunity to prove that this was a one off disappointment that you experienced and look forward to meeting you on the occasion of your next visit.

I look forward to hear from you in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed at The Waldorf Hilton a long time ago when I was 18. The decor had changed obviously since my last visit, but the service was still impeccable. It was my husband's first visit and he commented that it was not at "grand" as he thought it would be. The staff are great, they seem as though they are happy in their work, and they want you to have a good time, nothing is too much trouble.The location is just perfect, just steps from Waterloo Bridge and amazing views of the ever changing London Skyline. It is only round the corner from Covent Garden, and Trafalgar Square is a short walk. The room we had was large, the bathroom was nice and big, the shower did not have great water pressure however. The decor of the room seemed a little old too, but this did not detract from our enjoyment. We dined in the Homage Restaurant, our meal was delicious, the staff were attentive and friendly. Breakfast was the usual Hilton Breakfast - all you could wish for! The hotel has a lovely relaxed feel. Would recommend a stay here for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Weymouthfan

Dear Waymouthfan,

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review on TripAdvisor as your feedback is invaluable.

We were delighted to read your review and your comments as this goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I was glad you were able to enjoy and explore our lovely location whilst staying with us.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Waldorf Hilton boasts a fantastic location close to the Waterloo Bridge and a short walk from Covent Garden. Both the exterior façade and interior décor are impressive and the staff are pleasantly accommodating. We stayed for two nights in a King Hilton Executive Plus room, which was a good size, well decorated and had a particularly lovely bathroom. Oddly, our room was not on the Executive floor, but this turned out to be in our favour as our room was on the fourth rather than first floor, which we definitely preferred.

I had noted on our booking that it was my husband's birthday and he was really pleased with the complimentary chocolate cake that greeted us upon arrival. It was a lovely touch and a welcome explanation for our room not being immediately ready when we checked-in.

The Executive Lounge is nicely decorated and offers all-day refreshments as well as breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapés. Whilst we did not visit in the evening, there was a good selection for afternoon tea. I was surprised by the breakfast selection; being a vegetarian, I was almost limited to croissants and melon, since the cooked options available stopped at eggs. Apparently the quality of the meat selection available was also less than impressive. It was our first hotel stay in central London and so I am not able to compare it to hotels in the area, however it was below the standard of other exclusive-lounges that we have had access to previously.

This hotel is an example of when I have struggled to decide on a score out of 5. The Waldorf Hilton is not an average hotel and so 3/5 would be unfair, but for me a firm 4/5 deserves better sound-proofing in the rooms, as well as the the robes & slippers promised in the room description. It is however a hotel I would recommend and so on this occasion, I'm rounding up.

2  Thank ixorias

Dear Doilybug,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor related to your recent stay at The Waldorf Hilton London.

I am delighted to learn from your feedback that you were satisfied with our services and facilities. I have noticed your comments about the breakfast options in our Executive lounge and i have taken this on board to discuss with the relevant departmental heads to look into this matter. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attentions as we use all of our guests comments and feedback to improve and exceed quality standards.

If I can be of assistance in near future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was our second stay at the Waldorf and I would thoroughly recommend. Our first visit lead to a complaint about the noise emanating from the ballroom below and we were offered a return stay at a discounted rate. True to their word we were given an executive room plus and given access to the executive lounge. Our room was well appointed with huge bathroom, complimentary bottle of wine and delicious macaroons. The bed was enormous and extremely comfortable. The staff were polite and courteous and the check in quick and efficient. We also had a personal welcome from Leyla (guest relations manager). Nice touch. The executive lounge is real bonus and the hot scones delicious. The breakfast on Sunday morning was plentiful and with a good variety of options. We had a great stay in a wonderful location and even got to see the Hollywood stars arrive for the Baftas taking place just round the corner.

Dear Adele065,

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor, your feedback is invaluable.

We were delighted to read your review and your comments as this goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I was glad to read that we were able to exceed your expectations after your previous experience here at the Waldorf Hilton.

We look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit to London. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I decided to treat my wife to a valentines treat and stay at the Hilton Waldorf hotel in Aldwych London. Big Mistake. Never go to this hotel.

Despite paying over £300.00 for one nights stay the service was terrible. After our valentines dinner we headed back to our room only to find that both our electronic keys did not work. I headed back down to reception to complain only to find the night manager Mr Suflain Baig to complain too. He said the reason both my cards were blocked is that I hadn't signed a form and they didn't have my credit card details. Now anyone knows that you simply can not book a hotel room or get keys for a room without given them a credit card number. He angrily said that its the hotels policy and that i should go away as this wasn't a complaint. I replied that he hadn't answered my question or resolved my complaint about what had happened to my credit card details I gave them earlier and why they thought the need to block our keys late at night, we were actually in the hotel restaurant having dinner so were easy to get hold of.

Mr Suflain Baig then replied that if i didn't go away he would call the police.

I was flabbergasted, i said what are you going to tell them? that you've locked me out my room late at night? I was the one that should be calling the police not him! He then came out from the reception and intimidatingly leaned over me and said it was a very good idea that i just went away now. I would have called the police as i felt very threatened and it was only my wife that stopped me and said don't let that nasty man spoil our valentines evening. Unfortunately it was already ruined.

Then came the breakfast debacle. i phoned up at 8.00am to order full continental breakfast. The man replied and said yes you will get it in 30 minutes. An hour later i rang again and said where is it? On its way they said. LIE. At 9.45am there was a knock at our door, there was a man carrying some toast and coffee. I said whats that? I ordered full continental breakfast and any way the coffee was cold. he went away and said he would sort it out. At 10.30am we still had no breakfast and could not get through to room service or reception so we used the land line to phone through to the hotel externally, yes we got through then as they are interested in new business not existing customers. They said they would sort it out. At 11.00am we decided to give up on breakfast and go out for a Starbucks instead. Unbelievable.

I am never going to this hotel and recommend you don't for your sanity. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this is by far the worst experience of my life.

6  Thank James B