“Lovely place, lovely price”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #332 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We've been to many afternoon teas and this was a treat for a family member. We were welcomed from the minute we walked in. The waiter was very friendly and looked after us all the way through, we were cheeky and asked for extra sandwiches and they obliged without any problems. The tea kept coming and was a lovely strong flavour, the scones were lovely and warm and the desserts were nice to finish off. I understand that you can get some discounts from places like groupon but we paid normal price and were very happy with the whole experience.

• Stayed: June 2013
Nader N, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with other travellers on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to read your review about the Afternoon Tea and I would happily share this with my entire team at the Homage Grand Salon who will appreciate your kind comments.
We all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We came as part of a coach trip we saw in our local paper. We had always wondered what it was like inside your hotel. We frequently come to London to see shows but never stayed with you previously. We will be staying with you next time. We have already told all our friends how helpful and friendly your staff are and what a beautiful hotel you have.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear valued guest,

I am delighted to see your kind review, this is the best reward we can wish for as we strive on daily basis to make our guests feel ‘’home away from home’’ and looking at your review I do believe we are on the right track.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed with my partner for one night after a trip to the theatre. We thought about going out for the evening afterwards but the room and facilities were so nice we stayed in! The customer service is excellent and I am more than happy with our stay. Would definitely stay again :-)

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear valued guest,

I am delighted to see your kind review, our staff are definitely trying their best to not only meet our guests expectations but to exceed it in any possible way we can.
That’s what we stand for as a Waldorf Hilton Team!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at the Waldorf for six nights this month and had a wonderful stay! I was traveling alone so I wanted to stay someone that was close to everything and where I could walk around in the evening and still feel safe. This hotel was a perfect location. it was a five minute walk to the tube station and the bus stop was right outside the door. I especially enjoyed walking around the area. There were great restaurants and shows to choose from. If you don't want to take public transport and you enjoy walking you could walk everything. Very seldom did I take public transport. I just walked out the door and explored on foot. The staff were excellent at guiding me in the right directions with suggestions of places to go and restaurants to eat at.

The service at the hotel was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and are always asking how they can help. I was very lucky to have enjoyed a renovated room. It was comfortable and very bright. Love it!! My only complaint about the room would be that the bed is on wheels and there are no drawers to put your thing in. You have to hand up everything. If I had been traveling with someone else we would had to have left our things in our suitcases.

I did include breakfast in my stay. When I stay here next time I will skip breakfast at the hotel and enjoy breakfast at the many places around the hotel. It was a good breakfast, but it was limited. After six days it was boring and over priced. It is convenient walking downstairs and eating breakfast though. Plus, the staff are very friendly.

Another bonus to this hotel is the fitness centre. Its convenient and well equipped. The classes are worth going to.

Would I recommend this hotel? Would I stay here again? Yes!! Yes!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Megan P

Dear valued guest,

That’s what we stand for as a Waldorf Hilton Team!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I came to London for a week long vacation to see a show every night and catch some of the tourist sites we didnt see last time we were there. We decided to stay at the Waldorf because of the location. Last time we were in London, we stayed at the Green Park Hilton and enjoyed that as well. I am a hilton honors member so we are used to staying at lots of Hilton branded hotels. You always know you are going to get a clean room and good service. I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and were surprised about the people who bashed the Waldorf. Some saying it is old, filthy, "tired", nasty, etc, and I dont agree with these people at all! Keep in mind, this isnt a new building. I dont know when it was built, but I would guess it is well over 100yrs old. The AC works great, the rooms are clean and the people couldnt be any nicer and helpful. Also remember that this is the most well priced Waldorf we have ever stayed at. Usually Waldorf hotels are >$500 per night and this was only ~200 pounds. This is way lower than any other Waldorf and I think it is because it is a bit older but very well kept up. The only complaint we had was with housekeeping not leaving any wash clothes. We literally had to call 5 days in a row for them to bring a washcloth and then they would take the old ones and not put a clean one in the room. Very odd! But honestly that was the only issue and if that ruins your vacation, you have much bigger issues to solve. Overall it was a great vacation and the Waldorf staff helped make it a great vacation. I would say that we enjoy taking the tube everywhere in London and rarely use a cab. The Waldorf is about equal distant from 3 tube stations, and each is about a 3/4 mile walk (~8-10 minutes). That didn't bother us at all, but for some people it might be tough. If that is too far, I recommend the Ritz which is right next to the Green Park station.

Room Tip: We were in room 419 (if I remember correctly). The room was nice and quiet however the view wasn...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

I am delighted to see your review and you are absolutely correct this building is 106 years old with too many historic facts.
We have updated our bedrooms and we are always striving to deliver personalised service to our valuable guests.
I do appreciate your honesty about the service and the room and please accept my apologies for the shortfall from our Housekeeping.
Please let me know when you are planning to visit us again so I can personally look after you during your stay.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The problem with staying at The Waldorf is that expectations are raised because of its name. I had booked as a Hilton Honors Gold Member using a points plus cash offer . The receptionist tried to updgrade the room - which is normal for Gold members - but said the computer wouldnt allow her . I was put in a standard room on the 8th floor which was ok but very average overall.

On the positive side it was quiet ,had an openable window and seemed free of the usual strange whirrings and extractor-fan type noises that beset hotels. On the downside, you couldnt sit on the bed and watch the tv straight ahead. The tv was on a wall at right angles and couldnt be pulled out so you had to lie on your side to watch it. The desk had no lamp and was in a dim corner with a pillar , or part of a wall, behind the chair which prevented it from being pushed back to accommodate your legs. I am 5 foot 6 and ended up having to sit sideways. To plug in the computer meant unplugging the radio alarm as the two other sockets were Euro or something strange ....!
Usual Hilton toiletries , duvet covers , tea and coffee etc so no complaints there! However overall this was a room in need of an upgrade.
As they apparently hadnt been able to upgrade me, I was offered breakfast in the Executive Lounge as consolation. This is a nice room but small and rather crowded. Breakfast is essentially a buffet.
Location however is first class as it's very close to Convent Garden.
All in all , unless location is important, a standard room in another Hilton ,which isnt labouring under the Waldorf reputation , might suit better.

Room Tip: Probably best to go for a refurbished room if your budget stretches.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank emerillon
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My 14-year old son & I stayed at the Waldorf Hilton for six nights in June 2013. We were in London primarily to see plays and the hotel location was excellent for that. The morning we arrived I was dreading having to wait until 3 PM to check-in after an overnight flight, but the hotel staff accelerated our check-in and got us into a room around 11 AM. We had access to the Executive Lounge, which was a great plus. We had five of our breakfast meals there, a couple of "tea times" and a couple of evening drinks & appetizers. Also, it wa a pleasant place to sit and relax and play cards with my son on occassion. It also had the news on TV and free Wi-Fi. The hostess was also very pleasant and gave us a few suggestions for activiities in London. Although our hotel room was a little expensive ("Executive Suite"), we had a great time there and I recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I think access to the Executive Lounge (breakfast, snacks, drinks, Wi-Fi) was well worth the upgrade...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family