“Jolly Good Show”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #331 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Well done the Waldorf, great afternoon teawith superb prawn and smoke salmon sandwiches and chefs homemade caked just like mother makes, excellent service with a smile and a superb relaxed evening with the correct level of background music. Well done chaps and chapesses

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Nader N, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback following your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton.
I am very delighted to see your feedback about our Homage Grand Salon Restaurant.
I will happily share your kind feedback with our entire food and beverage staff who will be happy to see your response.
Please let us know when you are planning to visit us.

There are newer reviews for The Waldorf Hilton London

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here over NYE and the location was fantastic. Went to the hotel bar a few times, which is well appointed - this was the only place I could get an actual dirty martini! The bathroom in the room was larger than I expected and the room was fine, a decent size. I loved how close the hotel was to Covent Garden and it was easy to get to all the tourist spots,which was all I was really worried about. The service was fine and the concierge helped us book a nice dinner and help us with the tour information. I am somewhat of a hotel snob and I thought this hotel was good for the money and location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

It is my pleasure to read your fantastic feedback, I will definitely forward your kind words to our Head of Mixologist, in the Good Godfrey’s Bar who will be delighted to see your response.
I wish to have a chance to welcome you back to the Waldorf Hilton in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Don't waste your money going to this hotel for the Sunday afternoon tea dance. £49.50 per person for very poor service, treacle warm coffee and needing to remind staff constantly as they never came back when you asked for something. My husband & I don't like smoked salmon or prawns so asked for ham, chicken, cheese or tuna. Sandwiches given were tomato & cream cheese, ham & mustard, egg & mayo and cucumber. The scones were hard and undercooked and the cake selection was one mini choc brownie, one mini choc eclair with some caramel coloured topping, one mini lemon meringue and one mini ginger/carrot?? shaped loaf! The band were good and you could have a dance but for the price I would take my business elsewhere. A total waste of money. The Waldorf really need to buck thier ideas up and learn from other establishments about how to do Afternoon Tea.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunriser56

Dear valued guest,

I am stunned to read your comments about our Tea Dance, please accept my apologies for the shortfall in the service.
We are famed for having one of the best Tea Dances in London as there are only few Hotels who still have them and we are considered to be one of the best places in London to have Tea Dance.
I will definitely forward your concerns to our Food and Beverage Manager who will follow up with his team in order to rectify the issue.
I do hope to have another chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here just after New Year 2013. The location of the hotel could not be better, only a short walk from Covent Garden and a number of tube stations serving different lines.

I didn't expect this to be a cheap stay, but for what I paid, I expected a lot more. I upgraded to an executive room, but despite my Hilton Gold status which should entitle me to a free upgrade to the next room level, I was charged quite a hefty sum for this privilege. Still, I thought the upgrade would be worth it for the access to the Executive lounge.

The room was extremely disappointing - cramped and absolutely no view whatsoever, only looking out onto back walls. I understand that in a busy city hotel, some rooms will suffer from a lack of view, but I thought an executive room may be better positioned, frankly.

The Executive lounge was always over-crowded, with people having to walk away due to lack of available seating. The afternoon tea was quite mediocre. With the crowds scrumming around the food and the staff taking a long time to replace empty trays, it was quite unpleasant. The coffee machine kept breaking, and I gave up after it was "fixed" twice but still gave me dishwater instead of coffee. The lounge breakfast selection was not bad, though the crowds were again a problem. Don't even think of taking breakfast in the main hotel restaurant, though. The queues for that were immense.

I belong to the "Gourmet Society", which entitles me to a heavy discount in the hotel's Homage Grand Salon restaurant (50% off food). However, the lady at the restaurant front desk had no idea about this, and treated us with extreme suspicion. She just wouldn't believe us and had to call a colleague, who also wasn't sure. At the end of the meal (which was decent enough, but SOOOOOOOO slow, despite the restaurant being empty), my Gourmet Society membership card was taken off me, so that they could "take it to the hotel office, photocopy both sides of it, and check that what we said was true". For goodness sake. It left quite an unpleasant taste in the mouth.

I most definitely won't be visiting this hotel again. They seem to want to fleece you for every nickle and dime, but provide you with distinctly below average service. Not at all what I'd expect from a Waldorf.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear valued guest,

Firstly I would like to extend my sincere apologies in regards to the clearly unsatisfactory experience at our hotel, however I would like to highlight few points.
Referring to your comments about the free upgrade for Gold members, please note that these upgrades are always subject to availability and it is indeed related to the occupancy of the hotel.
Also when a Gold member books a Standard room the next upgrade will not be an Executive room as the next room category will be a Deluxe room which again doesn’t have an access to the Executive lounge. As per Hilton policy Gold HH members will get the Executive lounge access when they receive the Executive room upgrades.
Furthermore, in central London it is very rare if you get a good view in any hotel as most of us are surrounded by streets and buildings, please accept my apologies if this was not explained to you at check in.
Once again thank you for your honest feedback, rest assured that I will happily share your comments with my Executive Lounge Manager in regards to the shortfall in the service.

I do hope to have another chance to welcome you back to the Waldorf Hilton.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for one night (free with our Hilton Honours points) while we were attending a book launch in Foyles bookshop. The location was perfect for us as we could walk to Covent Garden, Leicester Square and Foyles in Charing Cross Rd. The hotel was comfortable and stylish as one would expect. The doorman took our luggage as we arrived and then it didn't come to our room despite 2 phone calls. My husband finally went down to reception to discover the luggage was missing! It turned up in a cupboard and we were rather cross but then the hotel gave us a lovely box of chocolates and a bottle of good wine so all was forgiven. I would certainly stay here again if we could afford it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear valued guest,

I am delighted to read your review about our hotel and I would like to sincere apologize for the confusion in regards to the luggage delivery. Our Head Concierge has been notified and will take necessary actions in order to prevent these issues from happening again to our valuable guests.
Once again, thank you for honest feedback which helps us monitor and improve our service.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Enjoyed a short stay at the waldorf last summer and was well surprised by the quality of the room and huge bathroom. Perfect location for the West End, a quick stroll from Covent Garden. Will use again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank melinette

Dear valued guest,

I am happy to learn that you have utterly enjoyed your stay. Referring to your comments about our bedrooms and the size of the bathroom, I would like to highlight that we have been updating our bedrooms since last year and our aim is to maintain the heritage of the Waldorf building but also mix it with innovation and contemporary design that would suit every taste.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Excellent hotel and a great location. The staff are fantastic and very helpful with nothing too much trouble. We will always use this hotel in future if we are staying in the London area as it's perfect for tube stations and only 10 minutes cab ride to Liverpool street station. Cannot recommend this hotel enough and was our second stay in the last two months, going back in May/April.

Room Tip: Go for Executive room as for the extra money you get free cooked breakfast and drinks in the executi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

We are delighted to read about your stay, this is possibly the finest reward we can wish for as our aim is not only to fulfil but to surpass our guest’s satisfaction.
I will happily share your kind feedback with our entire team the Waldorf Hilton.
We wish to have you again in our hotel in the near future.