“Fantastic location and service but lacked the wow factor”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #337 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Truro, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location and service but lacked the wow factor”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

First of all the hotel is in a fantastic central location, smack bang in the middle of London and a short distance from the entertainment district and tube station.

We booked a standard guest room at The Waldorf Hilton in London for a weekend theatre break. First impressions were very good, we were met by concierge who took our bags from us. The check in was very quick and the staff at reception were very polite, asking if there was anything they could do to make our stay more comfortable.

We proceeded to our room and although clean and tidy it just didn't have the wow factor expected of a 5* hotel when we walked in. I expected more from what we paid per night.

Don't get me wrong it was nice but the room felt tired and old, the bathroom was OK but you could see in parts that it was crumbling away. We stayed in a courtyard side room which was a little noisy at night due to air conditioning. Maybe in a refurbishment they could improve the windows to cancel out background noise, not a great problem as I went to sleep quite quick.

In the morning, we went to breakfast which I must say was fantastic! After a small wait, you are taken to your table by a member of staff in a elegant old ball room fitting for a 5*. The waiters were very polite and promptly bought refreshments. A great selection of either quality hot or cold food.

Overall, a enjoyable stay with great service. Would I stay again, yes, but I would probably look to upgrade my room next time to a Deluxe.

1 Thank The_Cornish_Foodie
Nader N, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.
I am stunned to learn that you haven’t thoroughly enjoyed your experience here with us. Referring to your comments about the room being tired, we are addressing this issue in our next phase of refurbishment to have a modern and comfortable room which you would expect from a central London Hilton.
On the other hand I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed our fantastic breakfast, we are famed for having a variety of options from hot to cold dishes.
I hope to have you here with us again and please let me know when you are planning to return to us so I can personally look after you during your stay.

Regards,

Nader Neishabouri

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My fiancee and have just returned from a two night at this hotel. We stayed in room 726 situated on the 7th floor. This room was exceptionally clean, large in size with a large bathroom and very modern interior. The bed was very comfortable and situated in a quiet area of the hotel.

We had a short wait to check in but the staff are very helpful. We had breakfast at the hotel which is a great experience. The food is superb and hot, I would recommend the waffles - amazing!!

The location of the hotel is superb and within easy reach of Temple or Covent Garden tube station. You can walk to Covent Garden within 2 minutes and there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

I will be returning to this hotel in the near future. It has been a great experience.

1 Thank rich_miller
Sandra G, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
We can’t thank you enough for your wonderful words about our hotel. It was such a pleasure to see that you have taken your time to share even smallest details with other travellers.
We hope to see you back again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.
Cheshire
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for one night for my friends 40th birthday; I rang ahead to request a room at the front of the hotel on one of the higher floors.

We arrived at 9.30 am and semi-checked in, left our bags and were advised they would call us when the room was ready. We returned to the hotel at 4.30pm, having received no call. Reception and the hotel in general was exceptionally busy; we were advised that they had given us a really nice room at the front of the hotel but maintenance were just having to check over the sink. We were given a voucher for complimentary cocktails and enjoyed the ambience of the sumptuous bar area and two very yummy cosmo's. I returned to reception 45 mins later, the room was still not ready so they refunded a third of the cost of the stay and were given another voucher for complimentary champagne. We eventually got into the room at 6.30pm and I negotiated a late check out and complimetary room service for breakfast as my friend and I had to rejig our plans for the evening as a result of the delays we had experienced.

The room was very nice and spacious too with a large bathroom and walk in wardrobe and a birthday cake had been left for my pal, which was a lovely touch. Just a few issues of attention to detail; the curtains were hanging off the rail, there was no hairdryer in the room and breakfast arrived the next morning with no milk for the tea or butter for the toast.

Location is spectacular, the staff were great, the bar and lobby areas were lovely and overall it was a super stay, aside from the frustrating delays and small issues that you really don't expect from that calibre of establishment, but we were compensated well and were able to make the most of our stay in spite of getting into our room so late.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank AnjiW
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable comments following your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton.

We apologise for the shortfalls in service you experienced and we thank you for bringing these to our attention. I strongly believe that these issues you have rightfully mentioned are the exception rather than the rule however we recognise the need for improvement. Please rest assured that our management team is taking immediate actions following your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Waldorf Hilton hotel in the near future and in the mean time if I can be of further assistance, please do contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Have to start with a small minus I am afraid. We arrived at scheduled check-in time of 3p.m. only to finf that our room was not ready and there would be a "short delay". Voucher for tea and pastries provided but ad we had just had a fabulous lunch at The Gilbert Scott at St.Pancras the last thing we needed was pastries. Still the cup of tea was welcome and we eventually got into our room at 4 p.m. Perhaps a little shake-up of housekeeping would be good!!

Our room however was delightful. Spacious and very modern with cleverly designed wardrobe features. Huge spacious bath/shower was perfect for a long soak after a day spent walking round London! Although we were on the street front we found the double glazing worked well and we both slept verrry well in the excellent kingsize bed covered in divine quality linen and supplied with sevral pillows of varying thicknesses to suit.

Breakfast in main Homage Restaurant was superb. Plenty of staff to cover every whim and lashings of freshly squeezed orange juice to get you started. Hot buffet best kept we have come across. Small excellent pods that were constantly being replenished so there was no chance of getting cold food on cold plates. Suuuch a change. Fabulous choice of freshly baked bread that one vould cut to desired thickness and a small conveyer toaster that worked well and meant one was not waiting for ever for it to "come off the production line"!

We dined in house one night - see my review of Homage. Not cheap but then one is dining in a 5star establishment in London so the prices reflect.

All staff were smily, friendly, helpful and made one feel it wad an honour for them to have you ad their guest. A nice welcome change.

Location wise we found it fantastic as we could walk almost everywhere in thre West End and South Bank etc. without having to venture into the Underground. A lot of theaters nearby which was super. We managed to pick up "the best seats" for one of the top shows in town - "Top Hat" - at a booth in Piccadilly Circus. Fantastic. and of course we could walk to it as it was nearly next door! Did not even need our coats on. How convenient is that. All in all THE place to stay for a special occasion.

2 Thank GourmetGirl42
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback following your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton.
We are very pleased to hear that our team members impressed you by providing excellent customer service.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I hoped out of the taxi I was treated to class from the bellboys to the management class at its best its not cheep but your in the heart of London .. This building is fantastic old but class from breakfast in an old ballroom to drinks in an old pool room as there executive lounge all the staff in this place are fantastic when I went downstairs and asked for the manager a tell him that a few days before I was about to leave Hilton he listened then when I left for the airport he presented we with a book on the first 100 years of the Waldorf Hilton great read the rooms are big but some have showers in the bath ask for a shower by it self I had 3 rooms all were magic in there own way close to everything if you don't mind a stroll I would not hesitate staying here again the robes on the bed when you get there look fantastic the gym is a club gym like a lot of Hilton's but not to big lovely swimming pool the executive lounge great food the best of any lounge I have been into the staff are a step above drink selection is also great nice big chairs and tables feels great

Hilton the way they should be

Thanks to all the staff on my stay was a pleasure and will be back ..

• Stayed September 2012
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for such lovely comments. All our team is working very hard and warm words like these are the best gift we can ever get.
We will be looking forward welcoming you back in the near future.
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, for a two night stay. There was some confusion over the booking, but this was rectified after some 20 minutes.
The room allocated was a Queen Hilton Deluxe.
We had only had one tea bag in the tea container for the two of us, we were not impressed with the tin cups and saucers provided on the tray, these were replaced by china cups and saucers after phoning room service.
The hair drier was wired into the wardrobe and had no mirror.
The open plan shower and toilet was an absolute disaster. Never experienced any thing like this in my life. Green frosted glass partitions provided no privacy for the individuals in the loo, or in the shower from those in the bedroom. APPALLING
Internally some parts of the Hotel look tired and fatigued. Swimming pool area looked as if it could do with a lick of paint.
Afternoon tea was a pleasant experience, but we could have done with some more sandwiches and a few more cakes.
Evening meal good. Compliments to the waiter Abdul, very attentive and helpful. I hope he elevates himself to a higher position within the Hilton group one day.
Breakfast. Good selection of food on display but the eggs, beans, bacon, tomatoes etc were only luke warm and became cold and uninteresting by the time one sat down.
For a 5 star hotel. Not impressed. Been to better 4 star and below.
The location of this hotel is excellent for restaurants, theatre etc.
Would we make a return visit? Probably not.
All the staff were very pleasant and polite.

5 Thank Bob0007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel with other travellers. We were very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our Afternoon Tea.

As you are aware our hotel is very old and all our rooms very in styles and layouts. Some of them have open plan bathrooms, and some of them don’t. We always strive to exceed all our guests’ expectations therefore we do our best to allocate rooms according to personalised preferences. I do apologise that we missed an opportunity to establish your preference to a more traditional style room whilst you were residing with us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback that helps us to monitor and improve our standards. Please do contact me directly for your future reservations so I could make sure you have seamless experience.

Kind regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel quiet often over a lot of years and it keeps improving. Everything about the hotel is fantastic, but probably the best thing is the location, just round the corner from covent garden, and soho and plenty of shows to see. I've stayed at some of the nice hotels in London, but without a doubt the Waldorf is by far the best. I would recommend this hotel to anybody. Please try it out.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Philipmking
Sandra G, Guest Relations Manager at The Waldorf Hilton London, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Philip,
We can’t thank you enough for your wonderful words about our hotel. It was such a pleasure to see that you have taken your time to share details with other travellers.