“Pity about the internet charges”

The Waldorf Hilton London
Ranked #340 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have a bee in my bonnet about hotels charging for internet connection. More of them are waking up to the necessity to offer free internet, but too many of them are, bluntly, ripping off their guests with charges of anything between £14 and £20 a day. It costs the hotel nothing (they would have internet for their back office functions anyway) so why charge the guests.
The Waldorf Hilton is a good quality hotel with excellent staff and super rooms. We paid £40 a night more for the upgrade to an executive room which gave access to the executive lounge for breakfast, high tea and canapés, so good value if you make full use of these things - and internet was free in the lounge.
The restaurants were also good and offered excellent value for pre-theatre dinner too. It would have been a five-stars from me but for the internet angle - if you are paying around £250 a night, you don't expect to be hit with an internet charge on top.

Room Tip: The executive floor at £40 a night more is worth it - if you are going to fill up on the free food.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback following your recent stay at the Waldorf Hilton.
We are very pleased to hear that our team members impressed you by providing excellent customer service. I will definitely share your kind comments and suggestions for improvement with the management.
We hope to see you back again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,374)

Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

This hotel knows how to go above and beyond when it comes to decor and customer service. They are so lovely and we were made to feel special from the moment we walked through the door. Great location too. Would definately revisit.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking your time to share such lovely comments about our hotel.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was treated to a night here and went with my friend in April 2012. Full of old world charm. Our room was huge and comfortable and was a good mix of hi tech and classic, the bathroom was as it was when the hotel was originally built in the early 1900's and was wonderful. We ate in the restaurant from the a la carte menu and the food was first class. Breakfast was buffet style and ample. Staff were very accommodating. The hotel is full of history and we were very disappointed to find that we could have booked on a tour of the hotel in the afternoon. I definitely intend to return to sample the famous afternoon tea and do the tour. A real treat

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
We can’t thank you enough for your wonderful words about our hotel. It was such a pleasure to see that you have taken your time to share even smallest details with other travellers.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and two friends, to be quite honest I expected more for the price. We had two executive rooms which were ok, nothing special, the room was clean and bathroom clean, staff friendly, breakfast ok, just did not impress me at all and I think they do trade on the name, the exec lounge was ok, in fact it was all just ok but at £240 a night I have stayed in better.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear traveller,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.
Could I kindly ask you to share some more specific details of your experience in order for us improve the service we provide?
I would appreciate if you could contact me so I could follow it up.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Arrived at 7pm after a long day of work and travel to be told my room wasn't ready. Kept waiting for an hour in the lobby. I've had better service at a Premier Inn at a quarter of the price. Not what I expect for £220 per night

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Freyni
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Sir or Madame,

We sincerely apologise for keeping you waiting for the room at such a late hour. I assure you that this was an exception as we have number of emergencies at the hotel on this day. If you are not happy with the compensation you received, please do contact me directly at the hotel and I will follow up.

Once again we apologise and we thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I only visited the Waldorf Hilton briefly, however I rate it highly, the staff are very friendly and approachable, and over-all it's a very clean and well-run hotel. Perfect stay for a theatre break.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Dear Lucy,

We thank you very much for your lovely review, we are glad that you had a nice stay. We hope to see you back one day.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Booked into this hotel using the secret hotel offer from last minute. The booking said we could check in at 13:30 turned up at 14:15 and was told the room wasn't ready and would be guaranteed by 15:00. Fine! Went back at 15:20 and room wasn't ready. What's the point in a guarantee? Reception staff just said it wasn't her fault - great team work! Then the toilet in our broke and were told to put our hand in the system and manually flush it. Breakfast was great as was the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Andymays17
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Andy,

We apologise for not having your room ready at 3pm as promised and I confirm that we have compensated for this error by discounting your room rate.

We were shocked to hear about the response you received with reference to the faulty toilet. We take your comments seriously and we would like to ask you to contact the hotel duty manager to provide further feedback. This will help us to identify the team member in question and follow up.

Once again we apologise and we thank you for bringing this to our attention which gives us the opportunity to improve.