“Wonderful location, staff attitude and food not as good as location”

Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
Ranked #524 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location, staff attitude and food not as good as location”
Reviewed September 5, 2009

We had our second stay at this hotel (our first was in April 2007) and booked in for four nights. We requested a room with a view over Wimbledon Common and the hotel duly obliged. As I say, the location and view is wonderful but the hotel staff are not.

We arrived very early from our overnight flight and were given a very lukewarm reception on arrival. The receptionist couldn't even be bothered to say 'good morning' and then kept us waiting for ages as he tried to locate our booking, or so it seemed. It transpired that he was trying to find a room that would be available for us at 8am but we were not aware of that and had said we were happy to leave our bags and check in later. That said, the hotel was good enough to find us a room that we could check into on the spot.

They had a wedding booked in for the weekend which was taking up a large part of the hotel and the rooms. We were given a room on the top floor with the requested view. Unfortunately due to the somewhat unseasonably warm weather in late August in London the room was boiling. Being an old country house there is no air-conditioning and opening the windows did nothing to help matters. Having struggled with it for the two nights I then asked the receptionist/duty manager to provide fans. Admittedly he did say he would try and find us another room but with a wedding party in town I said we would just take the fans. Easier said than done. The receptionist was much more interested in dealing with the wedding party and not remotely bothered about helping us. The only way to get their attention is to ask to speak to the manager; the duty manager (also doubling up as a receptionist) of course says he is in charge (heaven help this hotel!) so you then need to ask to speak to someone else who may be able to help. I then met with another manager who noted down all our complaints (more of which listed later in this review) and said they would try and make the rest of our stay enjoyable. A free coffee/tea on the house was the extent of that customer service/satisfaction.

Another issue is the dining room. The in-room guest services guide provides a menu but also states you can order off the menu and the hotel will do their best to help. Having spent a long day out we went to the restaurant and asked if we could order from their menu and have it served in our room. Again, met with a very frosty response and told that would be a decision for the chef and we would have to see! We decided not to risk the wrath of the chef or the dining room staff any further and ate in the restaurant. In fact we ate their a couple of times (excluding breakfast) and the food is nice but not that special so I am not sure how it would suffer from being delivered up to a room. And, on the note of food, our final breakfast there on Monday morning was horrendous. No doubt it was the B team in charge that morning but they managed to provide our breakfast at two temperatures - some of it hot/warm and the rest cold. In addition, the black pudding (I know it is previously cooked) was not even re-cooked and they had just taken the wrapping off it and sliced it and put it on the plate! The large cooked Portabello mushroom resembled and tasted like a Pirelli cast-off.

The staff attitude is not great but when you do get to speak to a manager they seem to be very helpful and courteous but unfortunately it does not filter down.

All in all, a pretty expensive hotel and probably not worth the money unless you want to be in that location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RMorley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Amazing old manor house that has been renovated into a chic boutique hotel. At its doorstep is both Wimbledon Common and Cannizaro Park. We went horse riding in the park, and visited the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum which were within walking distances. We drove to Hampton Court Palace and Richmond which were 10min drive away. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby where visitors can play during weekdays. We drove back to London and it took us less than an hour, including some traffic on a Friday afternoon.

Free breakfast (including our child), free parking and free internet too!

We had a wonderful experience and would go back again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Please do not misunderstand me, this is a sumptuous hotel superbly located on Wimbledon Common. The surroundings are stunning and the stylish interior is undeniably alluring. That said the staff are, on the whole, amateurish to the point no return. There is a passive aggression, quietly stated and yet clearly visible to the naked eye, which makes for some tenser moments than one would expect in the hotel of this quality.

The mismatch between surroundings and service is marked - with some outstanding exceptions - by a tense, irritable off handedness. The crowning human monuments to this chasm like charm deficit are the chippy rather tense young male receptionists. Their demeanour smacks more of inexperience than anything truly sinister but at the prices charged here such teenage stropping and petulant eye ball rolling ought to be absent

The hotel is, for obvious and admirable reasons, popular with wedding parties who obviously take priority given their numbers and the volume of their consumption. Acceptable? Not really given that the room rates charged to non-wedding guests do not reflect the second class status afforded them. It may be more honest for Cannizaro to either a) inform incoming guests not belonging to a wedding party that they may face some barriers to normal service, forewarned is forearmed and / or b) offer a non wedding rate reduction to reflect this reality. The hotel does not seem large enough in scale to accommodate both wedding and non wedding guests, they should simply be honest about that.

To balance the piece, I have to say that that the stunning interior does lend the hotel a true sense of gravitas and authority though the narrow corridors and traditional lay out create heat traps which make some rooms (especially those facing the Common) stiflingly hot in the summer. In addition, the hotel’s own guide book was clearly penned by either a crazed brand disciple or dyed in the wool optimist since entries concerning items like the room service menu and other services offered are simply not as they are they are proudly purported to be. These sorts of inaccuracies should simply be tightened up, hardly a Herculean task.

The management, when one does encounter them on their rare sorties around the hotel , are very good and to be fair they do stand out like blue marlin in a shoal of herring. Sadly, it is the rather damaging lack of a sufficient numbers of reliable lieutenants and the permeating undercurrent of surly bad manners which let this jewel of a hotel down so badly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hubsmorley2003
channel islands
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Just back from my fabulous chums wedding at Cannizaro. We live in Jersey but I used to work in London and miss miss miss it. Was soo looking forward to the weekend and staying at Cannizaro as just had two babies over last 3 years and this was first weekend away etc so high expectations and we were not disappointed.

Charming service, beautiful room and as for event organisation (Im a marketer) and was blown away (doesnt happen often) by the attention to detail for my friends wedding down to providing a tea/cofffee/cheese/wedding cake zone at midnight....heavenly.

Loved the decor too...especially in the breakfast room...same flamingo Cole and Son wallpaper as my baby's nursery...what taste!

A mention must also go to the hairdresser in Wimbledon Village...WOW What a blow dry...I have never had so much root lift in my life! Fabulous!

Full write up on my blog www.myfj.je/yummy and also the grounds must get a mention...magical! I'm going to become a friend of Cannizaro Park I loved it so much.

PS Was definitely not our wedding guests left with underwear on heads...shame...sounds like quite a hoot! :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
UAE
Reviewed August 9, 2009

After many wonderful memories and experiences at Cannizaro House Hotel, I would like to suggest that the experience of ‘321London’ was certainly abnormal and very unfortunate. I would like to take this opportunity to share with all readers of Tripadvisor, my latest GEM of an experience with Cannizaro House, their Operations Manager, Rowen Elmes and his amazingly special team.

Being based in Abu Dhabi, UAE surrounded by 5 star luxury, I was delighted to experience a service from Cannizaro’s highly professional Events Team that surpassed my expectations 100-fold.

My husband and I took exclusive hire of the hotel for our ‘White Wedding Ceremony’ on 11th July, 2009 and I cannot praise Rowen and his team enough for the most enjoyable and personal service that I have ever experienced from an establishment – truly World Class.

From day one, our dealings with the hotel were stress-free. The staff were dynamic, knowledgeable, amenable and highly capable and they made our planning process such fun and treated us most hospitably… we were always welcome and well looked after.

For Rowen especially, nothing was ever too much trouble – from sourcing particular wines with limited availability, to arranging personal meetings with the very gifted Head Chef to create a mouth-watering menu about which our guests have raved in a multitude of very expressive ‘thank you’ letters since the event. On the day itself, Rowen was everywhere as were his staff, any potential hiccup, he sorted it in addition to greeting our guests and making sure that they were all comfortable and had everything they needed. Even when my Maid of Honour and I realized that we had run out of special ribbon for the napkins and as I thought I would have to send a Saintly member of the family up to Tottenham Court Rd to get supplies, Rowen took it right out of my hands and dealt with it – taking the stress off us was his mission and he achieved this and more! He even did us the Honour of being our Master of Ceremonies and did a superb job. So many guests had nothing but praise for him and they couldn’t say enough about what a perfect venue Cannizaro House is for such a special occasion – the food, wine, service, ambience and flawlessly smooth running of the event were all mentioned time and time again.

I have known Cannizaro House Hotel since I was a little girl in a pram being taken to play in its grounds and after many subsequent years of lunches, teas, dinners, drinks and even other special celebrations there, I can quite honestly say, that you have never been in better hands than Rowen Elmes and his team . Whatever the occasion, be it just a quick bite, a lavish dinner, or even a romantic mini-break, I can guarantee that you WILL be very well looked after and I for one cannot wait until my husband and I make our next trip back to the UK as Cannizaro can definitely expect a visit from us!

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank BertieUAE
Wimbledon
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I would like to put on record that I have nothing but praise for my Cannizaro House experiences - from dinners, lunches, drink, Tea Parties, Art Exhibitions, Charity Events, culminating with my daughter's Wedding 'Do' which was held on 11th July this year. This amazing day/evening was an incredibly stress free event due to the wonderful staff's diligent attention to detail over-seen by the brilliant Operations Manager. I highly recommend any bride-to-be to have a look at this heavenly venue.

Having stayed in some very special hotels all over the World I can honestly say that Cannizaro House can hold it's head up with the best of them with pride.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
london
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Having Spent a weekend at The Cannizaro House I had to write a review to inform other potential guests of my experience or should I say warn other potential guests!
Firstly when we checked in we were greeted with a very rowdy group of guests from what looked like a wedding party exiting the hotel with various pieces of underwear on their heads-obviously very drunk but not the the sort of clientelle you expect of a country manor style hotel.
We were shown to quite possibly one of the smallest rooms we have ever seen in a hotel, extremely cramped bathroom, when you opened the door it hit the toilet, as you can imagine not very comfortable at all!
The water in the shower had one temperature-and unless your body can withstand scalding hot water than it's not for you. Having made a complaint at reception we were originally greeted with a relatively friendly and apologetic operations manager who apologised for the noise and unacceptable behaviour that we had to put up with and offered to change our room which we accepted but unfortunately for us although the second room was slightly bigger it still only had a small bed for two people, but we were happy that the bathroom was more suitable for two sharing-until we attempted to use the shower that is... once again the water was at a scalding temperature, and on informing reception they agreed the shower was broken in this room also-again they apologised and claimed that our experience was extremely abnormal and that we were very unfortunate- and so we were offered to use a shower in a room across the hotel!! seriously!!
After suggesting to us to use an alternative rooms shower it was also suggested if we wanted a 'better room' that we could pay an additional £370 for a 'better room'-obviously our response was we should not have to pay additional fees for the use of a working shower-we believe we have normal requests and normal expectations and The Cannizaro House has dramatically failed to achieve normal standards i.e. working bathroom facilities and quiet hallways after 2am.
Our breakfast experience was SHOCKING, we waited over 35 mintues for a table and eventually we were given a table for two when there was four of us at breakfast! On sitting down we discovered the table was filthy, it had jam all around the edge which stuck to my friends clothes, on informing a member of staff their response was "what do you want me to do about it?" When one of my party asked for a spoon we watched on in amazement as this particular waitress took a spoon from a table that was being cleared away-in other words a used spoon! When we approached the subject with the waitress she said "it's ok they didn't use it!"
Unfortunately it gets worse there were 3 weddings in this small hotel in two days we were kept awake till 4am one night and 6am the other.
We understand they have been a little overworked with that many guests staying, however weddings are booked months in advance so claiming they are understaffed in unacceptable and simply not good enough when I am paying full price for a below average service.
We have never ever experienced a so called 'hotel' like this, and cannot believe it has managed to achieve 4 stars! They should have 3 stars taken away for a more realistic star grading.
To summarize I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank 321London
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Wimbledon Hotel
Clapham / Battersea
The Lodge Hotel, Putney
The Lodge Hotel, Putney
#320 of 1,067 in London

Been to Hotel du Vin Wimbledon? Share your experiences!