“A truly amazing place”

Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
Ranked #615 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had the pleasure of celebrating my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary this weekend at this truly magnificent hotel. From the moment we got there the staff could not have done anymore to of made us feel more welcome. We sat outside on the terrace where we were welcomed with drinks, the weather was fantastic which made it more of a pleasure. The children could wonder off down to visit the duck pond. We had canapés and champagne in the Orangerie before being taken to our own private dining room where we indulged into the Seven Taster Menu, which I highly recommend (my personal favourite is the Guinea fowl & a Chocolate Mousse which is to die for! The whole weekend was truly magnificent. I cannot thank the staff enough, very professional, very friendly. Last of all I'd like to thank the hardworking chefs and the ever so talented Head Chef Mr Christian George (my brother!!!)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
JeffWard, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Wimbledon, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Hi BazPlymouth
Thanks so much for a great review, we are really pleased you enjoyed your stay at Cannizaro House and yes, you are right, your bro' is a great Chef
See you soon
Jeff

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Situated on the west side of Wimbledon common, this has to be Wimbledons best kept secret! The newly added orangery (celebrating it's first birthday shortly) overlooks the park at the rear. One side features the well stocked bar, the other has a chef continuously cooking or prepping! Wonderful smells to titanate the senses! We stayed for dinner, watched the sun go down, all in the comfort of this beautiful addition.
The bedrooms were impeccably made for a comfortable stay, perfect for a weekend away, or in my case a business trip. The staff were attentive and ever so friendly! It just felt like we were being specially treated, when in fact this was the service provided to all their guests, regulars and visitors alike.
I will be back and I will be spreading the word! Sorry but people need to know!

Room Tip: The receptionists are honest, just tell them your needs, what ever they may be.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Henry G
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a great experience at the Cannizaro House in Wimbledon. What appears from the outside to be a very staid mansion is actually very relaxed and eclectic on the inside! The hotel is filled work from local artists, most of which are available for sale, and it gives the place a very cool vibe.

The hotel staff are very attentive and seem passionate about their jobs, especially the bartender Tom, who makes a mean Sipsmith gin and tonic (you must have one) and the chef at the Orangerie (can't remember his name!). And speaking of the Orangerie, the two meals we had there were fantastic. One note is that the presence of managers seems overwhelming at times, making the staff a bit tense. I'm sure this is only because they want to ensure everything is perfect, but the staff were totally professional and friendly, and didn't seem to need this very noticeable presence, it kind of threw the mood off a bit.

The room was roomy, by London standards, and had a comfortable bed. The bathroom was well-appointed with a rainfall shower head and heated floors. The only gripe I have was that the room and bathroom were not well-lit. The heated floor made the room extremely hot as well, so thank God for a nice breeze through the window, which we kept open at all times. There was no way to turn the heated floors off.

We didn't have our young kids with us on this trip, but there were a few couples there with young kids, and the staff treated them very kindly, so it seems like a family-friendly place.

The hotel grounds were beautiful, and I can see why many couples choose to get married there. The garden is lovely and peaceful, and there is a lot of open space to wander around outside. It's very tranquil.

Shopping at Wimbledon Village (more exclusive shopping) is about a 7-minute walk from Cannizaro House via the muddy/treacherous field across from the hotel. The tube station is probably a mile walk from the hotel - not bad on the way there because it's downhill, but walking back is another story! It's about a £6 cab ride from the station back to Cannizaro. Close to the tube station is a full-size grocery store, a department store, and a business-supply shop (like a Staples or Office Depot).

We were completely pleased with our stay at Cannizaro House, would definitely stay there again, and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed in this hotel which was booked for a function I was attending. It's unusual in that it's like a country house hotel but in London. Located next to Wimbledon Common in it's own grounds it is a hotel with character and style. The service was efficient and effective. I only had breakfast but this was very good with a nice choice including freshly cooked full english - served overlooking the grounds on a sunny morning was a bonus. I would be happy to stay again if I need a hotel this side of London.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sheffview
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The second time we have visited this hotel in five months. Totally different to other hotels in the area. Very comfortable. Very quiet. Wonderful location.Very helpful and friendly staff. Great restaurant. Love the rabbits. We will be returning again
Thanks to all the staff for looking after us

Room Tip: Tim Henman suite if you like watching the T/V in the bath
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 188HughO
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I don't say this lightly when I say that this was the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff couldn't be faulted, the food beyond delicious and the room, well, it had the wow factor that's for sure. I spent half my afternoon there enjoying a soak in the tub while watching the TV at the end of the bath. Bliss. It felt luxurious, special and exactly as a hotel should. A million stars.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CJ822014
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Smart, stylish hotel. Beautiful grounds and easy access. Large car park. Refurbished rooms are lovely. Villeroy and Boch HUGE bath. Cute shortbread (homemade) rabbits waiting in your room. Hotel shuttle bus into town is available at no extra cost. Turn down service gives that feeling of luxury. I Love staying here! Breakfast is lovely but allow plenty of time as it's not the fastest service. New orangery is stunning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Wimbledon Hotel
Clapham / Battersea
The Lodge Hotel, Putney
The Lodge Hotel, Putney
#292 of 1,077 in London

Been to Hotel du Vin Wimbledon? Share your experiences!