“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #150 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

After my last trip to the Hanger Lane area (Travelodge - reviewed separately) I was dreading what else I would end up with in this very hectic part of the world. I tried booking Premier Inn for 2 nights and approached with a bit of trepidation. I have never had an issue really with Premier Inns but if this one was to match its surroundings and previous experience then I was 'bricking it' to say the least. Coming from the North, I got to the bottom of the M1, turned right onto the North Circular and the hotel is about 15 minutes round this hell of a road (15 mins in moving traffic - prepare for much longer). I passed the Travelodge and squirmed at the memory, then turned left of the Hanger Lane exit (nightmare). I could see the hotel but was baffled how to enter it; though to be fair it was dark and busy. The secret (I think) is to pass it on your right on the dual carriageway, then do a U turn at the poorly marked turning area about a quarter of a mile down. Then watch for the poorly signed entrance to the hotel otherwise you run the risk of getting back into Hanger Lane hell .......... Anyway, I digress.
The car park wasn't particularly large or welcoming, however I parked up and dragged my way into reception. From then on, the experience was pleasant. Check-in was polite, efficient and courteous and my room on the fourth floor was really nice. I was worried the traffic noise would be similar to the Travelodge experience, but worries were unfounded, so I assume the build quality was better. The room was warm and modern. Instead of using the lifts, I used the stairs (keeps me fit) and these were tidy and well lit.
Staff on duty for breakfast were polite and professional and although basic, the breakfast was enough to set me up for the day. It was spotless, which was nice.
Checkout was very courteous, they even waived my parking charge due to me cutting short my stay.
The only downer (and it does not influence the marks) was having to listen to Xmas music at breakfast. In November. It doesn't bother some people, but hey, I'm a traditionalist. I guess the owners can't please everyone with that aspect though.
All in all, crap area of the world, but a really pleasant hotel, well done Premier Inn.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay somewhere like this part of the world, without the expense of travelling...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndyMac1965

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I've had cause to complain about Premier Inn hotels lately but my recent stay at this particular hotel has been exceptional.

Yes, the rooms are the same the world over and I still wake up in the morning struggling to remember which city I'm in but it was clean, comfortable and had all I needed.

However, the service was something else. From the moment I arrived I felt like they actually cared if I was happy or not with my stay.

The restaurant again was way and above expectation with fab food and perfect service. Both Nag and Dorothy were attentive, friendly and only too happy to be of service.

All in all an excellent service and very pleasurable stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank StevieD1974
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

First time staying at this hotel and it was a pleasure. All the staff were extremely friendly and made you feel very welcome. Great position next to the central line which takes you straight into central London. Was a bit worried about it saying there was limited parking, but actually the car park was huge and we were only charged £6 per 24 hours which in London is a bargain. Superb breakfast with all items hot and regularly refreshed. Would certainly use this hotel again rather than the nearby Ramada Encore which we normally stay at,but on the last couple of occasions has not been very good at all.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank andrew b
Walton On Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Premier Inn hotels offer great hotels and you know that the quality will match all the hotels within the chain. What this hotel differs in is the service. Exceptional service given from all members of staff in the hotel and restaurant just rounded off a great stay.

Close to Wembley (10-15 min drive) this is a spot on place to stay for an event.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank skbarron
Burnley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Premier Inns are premier inns, the look the same and act the same. The Hanger Lane version is no different. Clean, quiet, good location and good price.

The reason for only 3 stars is for the bed situation. This is always the case with Premier Inns (in my pass experience anyway) that a twin room is the same as a double room. The only difference is that they convert the sofa into a single bed. These are ok but are still no very good. I slept in this bed on the first night (of a 2 night stay) and complained in the morning and got a refund because every time I turned over the springs went mad. I then got a separate room for myself.

Car parking was good and seemed safe enough.

Restaurant was fine, just pub food and drink. Not my seen, but was always busy. I would recommend not having the breakfast and trying your look in town. That's what we did.

The points to consider;
- if you are not a couple and your party is 2 or more. Twin room or separate rooms?
- If you are using it as a hotel for London sight seeing: the distance to travel into Central London? (35 minutes on the tube & is very busy at peak times)

If I was doing the trip again I would probably have been happier staying in a hotel closer (paying a bit more) and having proper twin beds.

All in all not bad not great just fine. You don't got to London to stay in you hotel room allday. Clean tidy, nice staff, ok location and not bad value.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Johnnysut
Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

2 night stay at Premier Inn, Hangar Lane. Great location next to tube station, with good spacious and clean rooms.

Couple of minor gripes - room temp was 24 degrees when we arrived and so still too warm for first night, also only one set of towels - even though it was double occupancy. However this was remedied quickly and cheerfully.

Certainly be going back next time in London

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bury St Edmunds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

We had two rooms and upon our arrival we needed one of our rooms to be changed from a double bed to two single beds. The hotel staff quickly switched the room for us. The hotel is clean, safe and a quick 3 minute walk to the tube station which gave us easy access to London sites.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family