“Wow and wonderful, fit for the Queen.”

Thames Foyer at the Savoy
Ranked #1,567 of 23,242 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've just taken my holidaying mother for her birthday celebration and it was beyond perfect.

To start with when booking I was asked if there was an occasion, indeed it was a birthday so they went to the effort of presenting a pastry with a candle and the pianist played happy birthday.

The food was fresh, tasty and never ending. The staff were extremely attentive but never in your face and the hotel is stunningly beautiful. A pianist plays plesent music throughout and you can stay and enjoy the atmosphere for what seems as long as you please.

This was a highly recommendable and very plesent afternoon tea, not one thing to fault. To top the ending off as we were absolutely pached they even let us take our desired cakes home as we couldn't possible fit them in after the pastry selection.

Savoy traditional afternoon tea is indeed a must!

1  Thank ReneeLeeR
There are newer reviews for Thames Foyer at the Savoy

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our experience for afternoon tea was faultless. The Foyer is a stunning room and we loved the gazebo like structure in the middle of the room which was filled with Christmas trees, lights and an excellent pianist.

We were served by a wonderful waitress called Susanne who ensured that we were never without a topped up teapot. This tea has been one of the best that we've enjoyed in London. Make sure you're super hungry before you go as afternoon consists of four courses! Sandwiches to start, then scones, then a delicious patisserie selection followed by a cake tray!

We didn't feel rushed, the setting was beautiful, the service flawless and the tea itself delicious. Get booking!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went with 5 girl-friends to the Savoy for afternoon tea as a Christmas treat. I have been to Fortum & Mason before which was great but the Savoy was better than I expected and I would definately choose to go there again.

On arrival we were there a bit early so took a few pics and then they seated us very quickly, at a lovely marble coffee table surrounded by armchairs and a sofa with huge cushions. I thought it was much nicer and relaxing than being sat at a proper table!

We spent a good 3 hours on our afternoon tea and enjoyed the very attentive service, the waiters were so friendly and chatty. I feel they would make you feel welcome no matter who you were - a tourist out for a treat or someone very rich who just pops into the Savoy whenever they feel like it!

The food was gorgeous and very well prepared - I found the portion sizes a lot better than Fortnums (where the scones were tiny!!) and they kept topping everything up which was included in the price of £45 each. We also added champagne to this, and there were so many teas to choose from I would really recommend their Chai.

The only negative I would say is that they added a 12.5% service charge on which we really weren't expecting. With a bill of almost £400 this was a lot extra for us to pay! As far as I know the Ritz and Fortnum's don't do this. I still think they should stick with tradition in the uk and you should pay what you want to as a tip!! I think it is cheeky to add this much although we didn't complain as the service was very good luckily for them!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Why go when it is crowded - breakfast here is great, service is brilliant and you can really soak up the atmosphere of the great renovation that has been done at The Savoy

1  Thank Gen F
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Second visit to Savoy for tea. A treat for my daughters birthday. First experience was wonderful but not this time. Service was okay but felt rushed, not offered more cakes. Bill put on the table while still drinking tea. Did complain offered a glass of champagne but went for tea not to drink! Expect excellent service and experience every visit but sadly this didn't happen. Very disappointed!!!

1  Thank salvageorge