“spacious rooms, good level of service”

Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - Cartwright Gardens
Ranked #30 of 948 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel. I like this kind of apart-hotel, which are now much developed in London (I don't expect to have breakfast at the hotel, as there are so many excellent and cosy cafés everywhere in London to start the day...).

This one is globally a good solution when one has to take an early-morning Eurostar, as King's Cross is at less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel.
I was positively surprised by the size of the room (number 16, 1rst floor), which was unusually spacious at Londonian standards, chiefly regarding the selling price (less than GBP 120). It is really an apartment, where one can fill at home. The whole room is clean and the bed is comfortable.
The bathroom is somehow tiny compared to other apart-hotels, however very clean and provided with all the amenities of a luxury hotel. Hot shower was perfectly well working (good to mention as this is often the drawback of Londonian mid-range hotels).
If one whishes to use the kitchen (which was not my case), the apartment kitchen is really spacious, with both a microwave and an oven.
All needed services to work at home (free wifi etc.) work perfectly.

The only drawback, as mentioned in other travellers' reviews, is the lack of isolation between rooms, walls seem to be really thin. The client of my neighbouring room fortunately caughed only three times that night, however those three times I had the impression that she was right in my room, so I can imagine what this lack of isolation means when one is not as fortunate as I was (for instance if my neighbour had been a family with screaming children, or a group of drunken friends, etc.).
If the hotel were able to fix that isolation issue (which might not be so easy to fix unfortunately, I don't blame the owner...), this hotel would be near perfection!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank ParisPaco
Write a ReviewReviews (2,049)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The experience started with a "We have upgraded you to a large apartment". Brilliant!
I'm afraid not. The room we booked should have had a terrace. The so called upgrade was a ground floor apartment right next to the main entrance of the building, on the roadside. This was rectified with a swift "Give me what I booked please."
The second floor room with terrace was NOT noticeably bigger so don't fall for the "Large" apartment option. Both were tiny.
The apartment was far too hot even though the radiators were not on. The windows could not keep out the unbelievable amount of noise coming from outside between 4 and 8 in the morning.
At the 100 pounds for 1 night we payed it's not acceptable.
ON THE PLUS SIDE! The location is perfect for people catching a London show which is what we were doing. This earns the place 2 of my stars and the other (which should be a half because it's something I expect) is that it was clean.
I would not rush to go back.

Room Tip: From reading other reviews and my experience. Don't bother with the "Large apartment"...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Only 5 minutes walk from Euston station and really easy to find.
Staff very helpful on arrival and shown to our apartment which was very spacious when compared to most hotel rooms in London.
Room was very clean bright and spacious. Kitchen area with oven sink toaster kettle and microwave fridge and freezer
Tea Coffee milk and water provided as was a plate of fruit
We forgot phone charger and chap at front desk kindly let us use his - thank you
only comment no plug near mirror so drying hair was an issue, but would still recommend and would stay again

Room Tip: We were in room 13 very good looking into garden
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wychypoo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here with my mum for a long weekend in London from Saturday 18th till Monday 20th. It cost £208 for a studio apartment with a double bed.

We arrived 20 minutes early but was able to check in straight away, the reception is next door to the apartments you are staying in (seperate building), the reception is 24 hours and the staff are very friendly and polite, they show you to your apartment and are always there if you need them, you get a swipe key to carry around which is easier than a door key and fits in your credit card wallet or purse you can have one each.

The row of apartments are beautiful from the outside as you can see by the photos, the private tennis courts are just opposite which you can use, each train station is within walking distance, either Euston or Kings cross which are about 6 and 8 minutes away (totally brilliant and convenient), there is a Prezzo's restaurant towards Euston station which is about 5 minutes walk from the apartment and very nice you don't need to book just walk in! Also a Nando's (mmm), an Ed's dina (which isn't great I wouldn't recommend,) and a few others.

The apartment is about the size of a premier in room. I would consider these apartments a bit better than budget accommodation like travel lodge premier inn etc as they are better designed, more modern, the pillows are really comfortable and you get two each (most places only give one which is so annoying, also the sheets are really comfortable almost Egyptian cotton unlike travel lodge etc where they can be scratchy if they have been washed a thousand times. The rooms come with a kitchen which is small but perfect size for a long weekend, comes with basic appliances like oven, microwave, kettle, fridge, also cutlery, fairy liquid and a sponge and a small supply of sachets of milk, coffee, tea and sugar.

The bathrooms are pokey but you get lots of freebies that are handy travel razor, toothbrush, soaps, shampoo etc, the sink is small and difficult to wash in so we each had a shower every night (which was a really decent shower) to take our makeup off as it was easier. Everything is cleaned REALLY well, spotless which was the nicest thing about it all.

The view from the windows was a bit disappointing as there are flats and stuff opposite but it is such a quiet area, no trouble what so ever, the most you hear are the church bells waking you up in the morning which is a lovely sound and makes you feel really London'ey! You can't hear the main road or any busses which is so surprising as its not far from the main road and the station etc so great for a good nights sleep!

The TV was a bit disappointing, it said the TV had loads of channels and sky etc but we only had about 11 channels that worked, most of which were sports. I thought it would have loads more as at night after a long day we was looking forward to watching a film on tv etc but had nothing, they did have a dvd player which had I had know we would have brought a dvd from home!

We asked for the top floor apartments because I heard from other reviews the view was amazing but it wasn't really worth asking for when I pre booked, there was no lift and about 6 flights of 10 steep stairs to climb up and with lots of suitcases it was a bit difficult but worth it for the calories! I wouldn't have liked to have stayed on the bottom floor as that's border line underground, so the second floor would have been suffice. The corridors are very narrow aswell so if you are paranoid about surviving a fire (like my mum) then its probably best to stay on a lower floor, although all the rooms are fitted with the precautionary gear, smoke alarms, water sprayers etc.

Free wifi code you can get from reception when you check in which is amazing, wouldn't really stay anywhere that didnt offer that as I need it always to plan my trip and look bits of history up etc.

Overall great service, great simple apartments, great condition, great location!

Room Tip: Higher floors are a pain as lots of stairs and if you have lots of stuff can be difficult walking th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelBeyondLeisure
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here in Jan 2014. The receptionist, a Polish guy called Marcin firstly put me in the wrong room (I booked a room with a terrace for an extra 40 quid). He quickly rectified his mistake. What a difference though my terrace had the most amazing view of erm a brick wall! I could put two feet outside, the wall was about 20cm from the terrace door. One would not like to feel claustrophobic. I imagine it's for the smokers. Marcin didn't even know how to operate the lights. His excuse 'every apartment is different'. On leaving he booked me a cab with a cab driver of Pakistani origin. This 'driver' despite being expensive failed to drop me off with luggage at the correct point three times (I even showed him where I wanted to be dropped off on my gps). He was rude and just told me to get out (after payment of course). I then had to walk the rest of the way.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Reviews cannot reinforce just how small these rooms were. They have almost no room to move and the bathrooms were even smaller. The walls are paper thin and our room (14 I believe) was in the basement by the staff lounge where the staff was very loud all day (not good for jetlag). On a positive note, its in a good location. Almost every tube line comes through King Cross and there are plenty of stores around to get stuff and a great pub down the street. I would probably not stay again, but it was good for sight seeing.

Room Tip: Do not go with the terrace rooms, get the bigger ones unless your a smoker.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights here. It is conveniently located near kings cross and st pancras station and has plenty of shops/cafés etc nearby. Nice area in general. The apartment we stayed in was clean and tidy and had enough room for two adults and a baby. It had a little kitchenette but the bathroom was tiny. We didn't mind as it was very clean. The only negative is that there was no baby cot available. Free wifi was handy too. Would stay again as I thought it was good value.

Stayed: January 2014