“Cozy place in a good location”

Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - Cartwright Gardens
Ranked #32 of 931 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed three nights while in town for a meeting, and it worked fine for me. I chose it because I was covering the cost of the third night myself, and was looking for something reasonably priced. Also, having access to a small kitchen meant I could have some food on hand rather than eating every meal out. Reception was very friendly and organised. When I headed to my room I was a bit uncertain at first, as the worn brown shag carpet in the hallways didn't bode well, and my first impression of the room wasn't great. It was a basement room, with a sad little patio (the room was a 'large patio', but in November you wouldn't want to sit outside anyway, I just booked it because it was what was available), and it had that smell of stale smoke and whatever hotels spray to try to get rid of the smell. It was cold so I immediately went over to close the curtains, which were quite dirty along the top and falling down on one side. After I started to get settled in though, my impression changed. The place was immaculate, with real hardwood floors and a funny little kitchen with everything you would need. With the curtains shut and the heat turned on it became a cozy little oasis, and while I could hear my upstairs neighbours walking around, all was very quiet and I slept well. The smell dissipated, and there were lots of nice little touches, including good quality robes, coffee and tea, and even disposable toothbrushes and toothpaste (I travel quite a bit, but had somehow forgotten my toothpaste!). As noted by others, the bathroom was quite small, and the sink so small that it was impossible to wash your face without either smacking your head on the glass shelf or dripping water all over the floor. I put a towel down and opted for the second. There was room for a bigger sink, so not sure why they opted for such a small one. Checkout was efficient and friendly. All in all, I quite liked Studios2Let and would stay there again if I needed something budget friendly in London.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank diggingitall
Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night in November. The location is perfect, a stone's throw from Euston and within walking distance of Covent Garden.

The studio was quite compact but clean and tidy. The aircon was great as it was really warm when we got there. We had a good night's sleep - my only criticism is that there was a light on outside of our basement window all night and the curtains are quite see through.

The staff were friendly and we were able to leave our luggage there all day the next day.

Will definitely stay here again on my next trip to London - great location and great value for money.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were in room 20, first floor at the front of the building with a balcony.

The staff we spoke to were pleasant and friendly.

The room was smallish but not bad for London! It was spotlessly clean, light and fresh in feel. Everything was in very good repair. The kitchenette had a good sized fridge, cooker, double hob top, toaster, plenty of cutlery/crockery etc and kitchen utensils. Beverage tray provided with biscuits which was very welcome on arrival and some fruit. Odd drawbacks I felt... the kettle lead was not long enough for it to reach the bench table so it had to be balanced on the edge of the unit right by the hob, which would mean it could not be used at the same time as the hob. The sink was high, set back and very awkward to reach with your head touching the cupboard above.. I'd not want to have to wash anything more than a cup/plate up in it. The microwave was far too high in a cupboard for me to reach, and that's without the stretch to the left that was needed to reach across the table.. for me to use it, would be, I think, an accident waiting to happen.

There was a safe in the wardrobe, left locked by previous guests but not a problem for us. An iron and ironing boardd too, hairdryer and 2 fold up chairs for the table.

The air con was efficient. We did have the windows open but had to close them due to smokers next door which was a shame. We heard very little noise in the night as Cartwright Gardens are off away from the main Euston Road, and the 'studios' over look a little green area where people were playing tennis when we arrived. The bed was soft but comfortable. We slept well. Out the back of the 'studios' was a lovely garden deck area... which would be super to sit in in the evenings we thought, in warmer weather.

The bathroom was tiny but the water piping hot, nice toiletries provided and a great idea.. airline style toothbrush and toothpaste!

It was an easy walk to Oxford Street too.

The 'studios' are an excellent place to stay if using Eurostar.... it takes about 4 minutes to walk to St Pancras and we felt it was a fair price, well very good price and value compared to hotels in the area! We would stay for the night before a train trip came up again no problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Good location for Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross being only 5 minutes to each. The main issue is the size. We wanted an apartment but in reality we got a room with space taken up with a small kitchen area and too many cupboards . If you did want to eat in the room there was nowhere to sit except on the bed for one person with only 1 easy chair provided and the draws in the wardrobe couldn't be opened because the bed was in the way. The bathroom is small but just about manageable if you are over 6 foot. The rooms are very clean and receptionstaff helpful. Not cheap for feeling cramped.

Room Tip: Ask to be somewhere quiet there are lots of rooms and doors opening and closing close together and p...
Reviewed November 27, 2013

我們原先已用信用卡付款並預定了兩晚房間,但入住當天因為不可抗拒因素無法抵達,我們事先打電話給櫃台並通知我們第一晚住不了,無法退費也算了畢竟這有寫在他們的規定裡,但我們跟櫃台確定第二天晚上我們仍然會入住。結果抵達時,櫃台竟然說我們的房間已經沒了!他們說沒有收到我們的電話,又因為我們第一天沒出現,所以第二天房間也就理所當然被給走!(他們真的是理所當然的表情,因此我們非常氣憤)我們還show給他們看通話紀錄,最後面對他們冰冷的臉,他們演得很勉強擠出一個房間給我們!甚至還半不情願地耳提面命說,下次記得要「親至櫃台通知」比較保險....這是啥鳥?如果我可以當面出現在櫃台,我就不用打電話去說我無法趕到吧!?更何況我已經付錢了,消費合約已經成立,我第二天也是下午兩點就抵達,就算真的把我的房間給別人,也應該是要耐心處理,而不是用臭臉面對顧客!所以就算房間還算可以,但這裡已經榮登我們整趟歐洲行程的最糟住宿經驗(更不用說它還是我們訂房裡面最貴的)

We prepaid our room for 2 nights with our credit card, but on the first day, we called the hotel in advance to let them know we won't be able to make it. The reception said there will be no refund and we were okay with it, since it's in the hotel regulation. Then the clerk checked if we were going to show up the second day. We confirmed with her and the whold conversation took about 10 mins.

The next day when we arrived at around 2pm, we were informed that our room was given away because we "no show" the first day. We were so surprised and let them know we called in advance to explained we couldn't make it the first day but will arrive the latter, and also, we already paid with credit card! The lady at the reception was not very patient with us and gave us the attitude of "we can do nothing about it" and "we didn't receive any call or other wise it will be in my log book". Then we had to take our phone out to show her the call history to convince her. In the end, she found us a room but with a very unfriendly and reluctant face. She even said it's safer for us to show up "at the desk" next time if we want to make a change to the room... (WT...) I was very curious, is this the kind of service I deserve for the money I paid? Even if you had to gave away my room, would it hurt to treat your customer a little bit nicer? Let alone I already paid my room full price, and also we didn't make a scene but just stood quietly waiting for her to solve the problem. There is just no excuse for the treatment we receive.

No matter how the room looks, we still had a really awful experience. It is the worst service we had from the 7 hotels we stayed during our trip, but almost double the price from some.

3  Thank dearlayla
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed between 17th to the 20th November its ideal place to stop in the capitol only 5 minute’s walk from Kings Cross and Euston stations. The reception staff are pleasant and polite we were taken to our room and shown round. The rooms are compact but have all the comforts of home, the rooms are very clean with a black and white theme with a very comfy bed (but no mattress protector used!). The shower room is small but dose the job with some nice toiletries and even a little tooth brush and toothpaste which I thought was a nice touch. The only thing I would criticize is the lack of instructions for the electric oven and the microwave as I have only ever cooked on gas and did not know the wattage of the microwave or what all the button settings were. We will stay at studios2 let again as it’s just a great place to stay.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Back in London overnight before our flight, we decided to try this and were very pleased. Tiny room, very smart black/white decor, great little tiled bathroom with heated towel bar, well-equipped small kitchen. The broken window latch worried me because it opened onto a below-sidewalk-level areaway, and someone came to repair it immediately. We've stayed in Cartwright Gardens before - it's a quiet Regency crescent in a great location for Euston & Russell Sq. Stations, the British Library and Museum, all things Bloomsbury. North Sea Fish one block away, handy neighborhood shops, Mabel's Tavern on the corner. I'm sure we'll stay here again...

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple