“Compact, clean, comfortable and good location”

Studios2Let Serviced Apartments - Cartwright Gardens
Ranked #32 of 931 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The rooms are very compact but they have everything you would need. The bed was very comfortable.Only a few minutes walk to a couple of train stations. We only spent one night in London and we were very happy wth this place. I wouldn't recommend a long term stay (ie longer than 5 nights) for two as it may be too compact, but this would be very comfortable for a longer stay for a single. The area was pleasant and we felt safe walking back late at night from the train (we couldn't help ordering indian food during the walk, even though we weren't hungry how often can you order freshly made naan bread at 11pm?).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here with my mother for 1 night. It was a very efficient, well planned room with a kitchen (and everything I would need to cook a simple meal) and a modern bathroom. The area is quite and the staff is nice and accommodating. I think on hotels.com it incorrectly states there is a "business center. " They don't actually have one but the reception was nice enough to print something for me.

Good choice!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lhorii
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Actually only 1 of them was impolite, but the way he behaved simply irritated me and i wonder if it was because of his language proficiency that made him temperamental.

That young man was ok when he helped me move my heavy bag down to my room in the basement (I requested not to have my room in the basement and they wrote back twice that they would give me a room on the 1st/2nd floor, though...).

And then i called the reception since I could not find the hair dryer. The receptionist said it was "in the DRAWERS inside the CUPBOARD". There were a "wardrobe" with DRAWERS, and a CUPBOARD with built-in shelves, but the hairdryer was nowhere to be found. I called again and they said someone would be sent to my room.

The same young man came. He opened my "wardrobe" and pointed at the hairdryer on the "SAFE"....... and said , "HERE!". Then he rolled his eyes and opened his arms, looking as if he was trying to say, "You don't look blind!!!"

The rooms were cleaned and things were filled once a week and there was a tiny little 1.5-inch tube of toothpaste provided --- too little for even 2 days. Then I went to the reception to ask for 1 more tube. The same young man "served" me (if there was any service) and said, "OF COURSE NOT" and frowned.... and I went speechless for 2 seconds, and said the tiny little tube was definitely not enough for a week.... and he seemed to understand how I meant and remembered that he had toothpaste OF COURSE.

The room was small but nice, the bathroom is tiny, and kitchen area is spacious... interesting design.

Room Tip: The smoke from the oven will definitely trigger the fire alarm since they are too close to each othe...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked an apartment for our first anniversary on the 5th Nov 2012. After reading the reviews we were expecting it to be small but we were pleasantly surprised with how modern and compact with more than we expected, i.e. there is a free laundry room with washing machine's tumble dryers and an iron.
As smokers we particularly liked the idea of having a private terrace, it was private and well presented.
In addition to the toiletries were little nice touches, travel tooth brush and paste, shoe shine kit & sewing kit!

All in all we found it a fantastic location, Literally 5 minutes walk from St Pancras so central but studios located around the corner in a quiet area, there is a lovely little book shop £2 and under on the walk from St Pancras, well worth a look, we got a lovely book about London as a memento, bargain! Would recommend and will stay there again.

we had our anniversary meal at Boisdales in Billingsgate opposite Liverpool St Station, read the reviews, it really is excellent,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gooner9
Reviewed November 8, 2012

For London its good price, great location. 5 Min walk to King's Cross, but in a very quiet street. There are a few bars & a pizza express along the way.

Rooms are small, but for the price we paid I can't complain. I don't think I would fancy being in there for more than a few nights. They have really used the space well & although I didn't use the kitchen it had everything you would need. Really hard to move about the bathroom, but fine for a quick shower

TV channels - we only had 4 ones to pick from, like History channel etc. But I wasn't in the room much so didn't bother to complain.

However I would not stay there again for one reason - we weren't in the main building with the reception. We had to walk along to the building next door and the main door is permanently open. So anyone can walk in off the street up to your room door. I wish I had read this on another review before booking.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karen L
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is great, especially for families. Each mini apartment has its own kitchen, so you can avoid to go to the restaurant if you don't want to spend too much money or if the weather is not great. As a mini apartment, it is furnished with all the necessary and more, even a dvd player!
The hotel is ideally located for Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras, 15 minutes walking from Camden Town.
The only negative aspect is the washbasin of the bathroom: too tiny!
I'd recomend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at the Cartwright Gardens Apartments in a larger studio, but booked (at S2L's advice) for an additional night as we were arriving very early the next morning after a long-haul flight from Australia and wanted to be sure our room would be ready.

I found the booking process very strange - I was advised that there was only one room left for our dates, but when I emailed with further enquiries as to which floor it was on and which way it faced (having read up on Tripadvisor about noise and space issues) they told me they couldn't confirm as it may change - so why say only one room was left to rent?? There was also some confusion as to our having booked for the extra night - I had my London friend ring them on the Friday to triple-confirm that we wouldn't be arriving until the Saturday morning, and they didn't appear to have a note of this, despite my series of prior emails.

As it turned out, there were several large studios available - and I insisted on seeing the selection before we paid upfront. Glad I did - the room we had been allocated was on the basement level and although it looked out to the back garden, it felt very much like a student dorm, with several flights of narrow stairs, winding corridors and and firedoors. We were then offered a 2nd floor room which faced the street - again, lots of stairs, but at least they were not winding and pokey, and you passed the pretty communal courtyard area. This room was was charming. The windows opened up to the beautiful curved terrace with a view of the park, and we were never troubled by street noise being slightly higher up. The room was very small but well designed - the Queen-sized bed stuck out from the wall rather than being pushed in a corner, and we had enough room for both our suitcases once we'd rearranged a few stools and a bedside table. The bathroom was tiny but we were expecting that. It was all very clean and functional, and the small and basic nature of the room was an incentive to get out earlier and do more in London! It was very good to be able to make our own breakfasts and have such a conveniently-located base in London - 5 mins' walk from either Kings X or Euston tube; 15 mins walk from Soho.

I was not impressed by the majority of staff members with whom I interacted - there was one helpful man at Reception who looked up the alternate rooms for me and was very polite and efficient, but I never saw him again. No one else seemed bothered. I was mistaken about the cleaning facilities - I thought there was a mini room clean after 3 nights, but I was wrong (we stayed at another serviced apartment during our holiday and I must've been thinking of their policy). When I enquired of reception about this, the man at the desk that day was very unprofessional and dismissive. We ran out of toilet paper after a few days and I had to go outside to Reception to get more, and walk back up the street to our building clutching the new roll, which wasn't great. There was constantly dirty and replacement laundry piled in the entrance way to our building, and cleaning staff going in and out, yet because we only had a 5-night booking we were not entitled to have even just our bin emptied and the toilet paper replaced.

The price was extremely reasonable for central London, and the location and room were excellent, but the things that bothered me are small things which would surely not be difficult for Management to improve upon, and for that reason I have chosen to write about them here.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the street for a cute view. Avoid basement level.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple