“Worst hotel experience was not up to standards.”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel
Ranked #369 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Did not meet a 4.5 Star rating.
Booked a business suite with upgrade. Waste of money!!

1. Requested early check in, request was granted, at arrival at hotel was denied made us wait 3hrs after a long flight.

2. Requested a non smoking room, instead received a smoking room which was absolutely foul of stench, after complaining was given down grade with no compensation.

3. Staff was terrible. Which even made our stay even worse.

Raddison blu motto "100% customer satisfaction guarantee" please review hotels values.

Do not recommend!!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Phuong P
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Phuong,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grafton hotel. It is a real shame we did not meet in person whilst you stayed with us and to hear first-hand your feedback which I am really most grateful for.

I must say it is very disappointing to read that you had such a poor experience at the Grafton hotel! Rest assured this is far from our usual standard of service and I would very much appreciate an opportunity to speak with you regarding the team at the hotel – I am surprised that you found the Grafton Team terrible, this is a very rare complaint, however one which will be discussed with the Head of Departments.

With regards to the early check in, we always allow our guests to check in early if the room is ready. However we never guarantee an early check in, but we always note any requests and do our level best to ensure they can be fulfilled. I do feel I need to clarify that the check in time is 15:00, if you wish to secure your room for a time earlier than you are welcome to book the room for the night prior to your arrival.

On this note, I do hope you consider choosing the Grafton when you are next travelling to town and I will ensure you are extremely well looked after. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed at the Grafton on 8th June and found the staff to be courteous, helpful and pleasant. The room was spacious well presented and comfortable. Breakfast choice was wide ranging and tasty, all in all I had a most enjoyable stay and would heartily recommend it to anyone. Extremely convenient for Euston station which is only 5 minutes walk away.

1  Thank douggarrett
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Doug,

This is a great review! I am absolutely delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us and found the team to courteous, helpful & pleasant! Rest assured you praise will be passed on to the entire hotel.

With regards, to our location, I am ever so glad to read that you found it convenient. On this note, I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay in the hotel in the very near future.

Stacey Jasieiwcz

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Spent Sunday evening at this property, as always, greeted with a "Hello, How are you " and a friendly smile....my number 1 choice of hotels in London for location and general excellent customer service....being in the Travel Business and with a keen eye, this has to be one of the best hotels I stay in on a regular basis.....well done everyone !!!

Room Tip: all rooms very nice and decorated to a high standard PLEASE NOTE...marked Terrible for swimming poo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Sean,

We are delighted that you have shared this glowing review with us. Here at the Grafton we always strive to make every guest feel valued and welcomed and I am glad that you have felt the extent of this.

We look forward to giving you another warm welcome in the near future. If you have any special requests for your upcoming stays then don’t hesitate to contact me through the details given below and I will happily assist you.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel 6 years ago and expected it to be as good as it was then. It was not. The room was much smaller than we had previously. The thing that annoyed me the most was that the hairdryer was fixed to the drawer of the desk and the flex was not long enough to reach the area by the mirror. My daughter had sent a Wedding Anniversay Card to us c/o the hotel but they could not find it. She does this every year and this is the first time it has gone astray. The cooked breakfast was disappointing as it is not freshly cooked to order. I chose the continental breakfast the second morning which was better. When we returned home I noticed the bill had been made out in my husbands name but the address was for a different postcode although in the some town. We shall not go again to this Raddisson. We have stayed at others and had great service so this was disappointing.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet from but it was quite a long walk from the lift.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CurlywhirlyGodalming

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, I am deeply sorry to hear of your disappointing stay. Our service at the Grafton is tailored to be guest orientated and I apologise that you felt this was not reflected in the service you were provided.

We always do our upmost to take special care of anything that is delivered for our guests to the hotel reception. If we should receive or find your daughters card at any point we won’t hesitate to contact you.

Sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the cooked breakfast. Our chefs are always more than happy to freshly prepare hot food for you should you request it from one of the restaurant employees. I am glad however to hear that our continental breakfast was more to your preference.

On your next stay I will personally organise a quiet spacious room for you that I am confident will exceed expectation.

We hope we will be able to greet you back to stay with us at Grafton in the near future. My contact details are below if I can assist with creating any reservations for you.

Guest Relation Manager

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I have previously stayed at this hotel and it was adequate. However this time the experience has definitely made up my mind that I will never again go there. On this occasion we took a group of people there whilst we were on business in London, which consisted of booking over 10 rooms. I asked for a deluxe room for my partner and I on the first night and then prior to getting to London thought I would upgrade for the second night to a suite. The photograph of the suite on their website looks very nice so I thought my partner and I could stay the extra night after our conference (in a different location in London) on the Friday.

We have several issues with this hotel which we will be addressing as a complaint to the head office of this hotel group, but to be disappointed with the 'suite' we were allocated is an understatement. The first 'suite' we were allocated was on the 5th floor and had a notice on the door saying it was a smoking room. I thought all such accommodations were non smoking now? plus the fact that we had not asked for a smoking room! We were then told we could move to another 'suite' on the first floor. Well this one was even worse. The windows were misted up with a frosted covering and it was not possible to see out. I tried to open the window but couldn't. The decor in the room was drab and quite honestly we found it extremely depressing! We could see that someone had tried to scratch on this frosting and when we looked through the gap the view was not one which you would associate with a 'suite' which in my experience in most hotels is one of the best accommodations the establishment has to offer?

We have stayed in suites all over the world in 4 and 5 star hotels and never have we been so disappointed as we have been this weekend with the accommodation in this hotel. I asked about a refund for the upgrade payment for this 'suite' as it really was not satisfactory, but the first person I spoke to said he could not do anything about it. But I then spoke to a second person who did refund the difference eventually. Also the 'deluxe' room was not what I would call 'deluxe' either, in my opinion very basic in fact!

I don't want to go on and on about this because this experience has really spoilt our stay. Ultimately we felt so unhappy with the room we left and did not stay the night, this will indicate how extremely unhappy we were. We handed in our keys to reception and they were told "We will not return". The reply was "can I get you a taxi". Nice!

In conclusion, our stay at this hotel was definitely not a good one. Just one more thing, there are two doors into the breakfast room we went through one of them on the Friday morning and were hurriedly told that breakfast was not ready. So I asked when does breakfast start then? they said 7am. I looked at my watch and it said 6.59am!! We were then asked not to enter the breakfast area through that door and we were directed to go back through the hotel and go through another door in order to get to the little desk which ticks off the names of guests before being seated in exactly the same place as we were when we walked through the other door!

I fully understand the need for rules and regulations and procedures, but would it not have been easier and more polite to just ask our room number and the member of staff to walk to the little desk and record the necessary detail? Not be made to feel like a naughty child.

As I said "Never Again".

4  Thank Sunshine51_12
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Sunshine,

This really is disappointing to read, please accept my sincerest apologies for the poor experience you had and that the suite you were allocated was not to your satisfaction.

With regards to the upgrade fee, I would like to clarify that as you were unhappy with the room, we did refund this money as a gesture of good will. I have spoken to the Food & Beverage Operations Manager regarding the breakfast incident who will follow this up with his team to ensure that does not happen again in the future, I am sure that the intention wasn’t to make you feel uncomfortable in anyway, and for this we are truly sorry.

If you do decide to return, which I do very much hope, please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation details and organise something a little special for you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We booked this hotel In aid of Special birthday for a girls evening out. The staff welcomed us exceptionally well, and quickly offered to assist us damsels in distress with our luggage. We didn’t queue to check-in, and were immediately directed us to our room. The room had been set up adequately to accommodate four beds. - This was a last minute request which was handled with urgency from the staff at the Grafton hotel.
The room was spacious, clean and very good value for money. The location was extremely suitable for nightlife in London and the staff kindly arrange for a taxi ,and recommended a lovely restaurant.

I work in customer service, and often have high expectations on what makes a great first impression. In the past, I have struggled to find a hotel with fantastic service, location in London, and all around value for money. With the Grafton you get exactly what you pay for. We use the capital regularly to celebrate events and now I have been introduced by a similar happy customer, I will thoroughly recommend both Radisson and in particular the Grafton.

Thank you for making special tweaks that made us feel important in such a busy environment. ( including a later check-out time, complementary water, and a very personal service)

Very best regards

Stella
Berkshire.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank estella C
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear Stella,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your birthday stay with us at the Grafton. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and recommending the hotel to others. Here at the Grafton we always strive to make each guest feel valued and deliver to them a personalised service. I am glad to hear that you and your friends really felt the effect of that service.

We are eager to welcome you back to stay with us in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me so I can personally see to it that your next stay is as good as the last.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I was travelling on business and was pleased to have made it to the hotel in reasonable time. Unfortunately check in took a full 30 minutes! I was given the option of a smoking, or non-smoking room. It seemed the non-smoking rooms were most popular as there was some difficulty in finding one available. Having booked a standard room, I was told I had been upgraded to a business room because of the delay. I also received credit to spend behind the bar. The room had been brought back into service as Is suspect they were running low on non-smoking rooms, and had not been cleaned thoroughly or ‘set-up’ ready for the next guest. The ubiquitous cushions had been stored in the shelving unit instead of being placed on the bed (not necessarily a bad thing!) and there were no complimentary water or toiletries. Having worked until late in the evening I decided to use some of the credit for the bar and headed downstairs. I ordered my drink and found a nice quiet area to read. This was disturbed by a group of women opposite who were pointing towards the corner of the seating area near to me and informing the waitress of something which she wasn't pleased to hear by the look on her face. I carried on reading and minutes later discovered exactly why the waitress looked so displeased. To my complete surprise there was a mouse running out from the corner seating and across the floor! Needless to say I took the rest of my drink back to my room! Breakfast in the morning was OK, nothing special and not really worth the price paid. The next morning I opted for breakfast in my room, which was delivered promptly at the time requested. There was plenty of food, but none of it was really that nice. The poached eggs were not cooked properly, sure the yolk was runny, but so was half the white too – although they were oddly congealed and plastic looking on top where they has obviously been sitting under a heat lamp. The bed and pillows were comfy, and I was lucky enough to have a room on the back so was away from the noise of Tottenham Court Rd – colleagues were not so fortunate. The Air Con was quite noisy, and slow to make any difference – although it did eventually cool the room down. All in all, rodent problem aside, I would not hurry back to this hotel. I have stayed in better for the money they charge!

Room Tip: Get a room on the back of the hotel if possible, Rooms at he front are noisy and on a warm day those...

Dear Anita,

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apologies that you had such a poor experience with us. This is far from the usual level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering to our guests.

Let me assure your complaint has been highlighted with the Hotel Management, who will go back to the necessary departments to ensure that these events do not reoccur in the future.
With particular regard to the mouse sighting may I assure you that we have a robust pest control programme in place - in fact we have an internal team that look after all of our hotels – but a rare sighting does occur occasionally. When this happens the team are notified and visit the hotel the next day and take the necessary steps to resolve the issue.

I truly hope that you will allow us an opportunity to make this right for you, as I more than confident that we can exceed your expectation. I kindly ask that prior to making any reservations you contact me first so that I personally can over see every aspect of your reservation and arrange something special upon your return.

Hope to hear from you very soon.