“Snug as a thug in the jug”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel
Ranked #371 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Snug as a thug in the jug
2-star * *

To start off on a positive note, the Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel is conveniently located in London’s Fitzrovia section very near University College Hospital, University College London, and the Warren Street tube station. From the hotel, it's a reasonably short walk to several points of interest for visitors, such as the modernistic British Library, which houses many historical documents including two of the four existing original Magna Carta manuscripts. It's a slightly longer (20-30 minutes) but still quite easy walk from the hotel to the magnificent British Museum.

Unfortunately, I found the hotel's location to be its best feature, while the cramped, tiny single room in which I stayed for several days was by far the worst. My room at the Grafton seemed to approximate the size of a prison cell in the solitary confinement wing of a maximum-security penitentiary -- which some might term "cozy" or "snug" but to me was decidedly claustrophobic. The narrow bed was jammed against the wall like a prison bunk, and sleep did not come easily. Noise from the street, hallway, and adjacent rooms added to the difficulty of sleeping on the uncomfortable bed.

There is little drawer, shelf, or closet space in the single rooms, so you will have to live mostly out of your suitcase if you can find a place in the room to open it. Presumably the double rooms are somewhat larger than the singles, but I never got a look at them and I can review only my own experience. I suspect that the Grafton’s single rooms were originally constructed for a different purpose (best guesses by members of my group: student housing, servants’ quarters, overnight punishment, or indefinite penal confinement). But that would have been long before the building was remodeled and transformed into its current identity as a vintage hotel.

To be fair, there were a few modern -- and welcome --touches in the in my Lilliputian room -- touch-card electronic entry, a small desk, an easily adjustable room thermostat, an in-room safe, a flat-screen TV offering a good selection of local channels and cable networks, an iPod / iPad direct charger that usually worked, and a variety of electrical outlets including one that accommodated a 110V device and a North American plug. Another switch activated power to a hair dryer, which unfortunately could not be removed from its anchor in the desk drawer. So bring your own mirror if you want to see in real time what the immobile dryer is doing to your hair.

The room had good lighting but some dark corners. I needed my small flashlight / torch in order to see and operate the temperature control and the safe's combination lock. Housekeeping service varied -- it was spotty over the weekend (e.g., used towels and washcloths were removed on Saturday and Sunday but not replaced), but on weekdays service was more thorough and the staff was responsive to requests for early cleaning. An empty complimentary bottle of mineral water was replaced daily on weekdays, but -- like the towels -- not during the weekend. Oversights by part-time staff rather than policy, I hope.

The bathroom was as minuscule as everything else in the cramped quarters, with the sink, shower stall, and toilet all crowded together so tightly that it was difficult to navigate among them. But the bathroom did offer a set of towels, shower cap, facial tissue dispenser, and a heated towel rack. Hot water in the sink came up quickly at some daytime hours but most of the time required running the faucet for a while. There was a gel dispenser at the sink rather than soap. The shower stall offered a good, simple spray, along with separate dispensers for gel (no soap here either), shampoo, and conditioner. The shower floor was slippery, but no matter -- there was not much room to fall in the narrow stall, and it did have a safety bar to grab onto.

The hotel provided ice buckets in the rooms and ice machines near the elevators / lifts, and several conference rooms in the basement along with a small gym. I had a few meals in the hotel restaurant but was not impressed. It offered a limited, unappetizing selection for the breakfast buffet, although helpful servers were on hand to bring toast, tea, or coffee to the table. At lunch, I found a hair in my potato/leek soup on my first day and quickly lost my appetite. A group dinner featured a lamb dish, but the meat was tough and gristly. Service at our group dinner was uneven. Waiters brought rolls to some tables but not to others and were slow and often unresponsive to requests. At one point I had to walk over to the bar to borrow a pitcher of water in order to refill the water glasses at our table.

All in all, the negatives outweighed the positives for the hotel’s common areas -- and that was especially true of the front lobby, which is small with limited seating, not to mention limited civility from the staff. Upon arrival, my check-in was quick but indifferent and not very friendly or welcoming. No bellhop, doorman, or concierge seemed to be on duty at the time (late morning), although I did see some personnel performing those functions from time to time in the lobby. They must have been otherwise occupied when I arrived. I witnessed more than one occasion where front desk personnel were surly or unresponsive to various guests. That happened to me on one occasion when I asked the front desk to change a £10 note into smaller-denomination bills and coins for gratuities. The clerk brushed me off with advice to take it to a bank, although the banks were already closed for the weekend by that time. I changed it at a nearby pharmacy.

The Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group’s Radisson Blu brand now includes a number of vintage British hotels that, like the Grafton, are designated "Edwardian" -- presumably a reference to the post-Victorian reign of King Edward VII in the first decade of the 20th century. But marketing an aging property like the Grafton as "Edwardian" does not excuse such 21st century shortcomings as an indifferent and poorly trained staff and inferior accommodations. King Edward’s descendants deserve an apology from Carlson Rezidor for what it offers the public in his royal name.

I've stayed in a number of Radisson Blu properties in various parts of the world, and all of them (until now) were paragons of upscale luxury. The Edwardian Grafton is well-located in London and may have been a profitable addition for the hotel chain. But in the absence of a structural renovation and proper staff training, it is not currently a property that enhances the Radisson Blu brand, however much -- in the short run -- it enhances the hotel group’s bottom line.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RonKVA
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Ron,

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us – we appreciate all feedback, positive and negative as it is vital to the success of the hotel.

It is disappointing to read that you did not have a positive stay, please be assured that this was an isolated incident and one I am certain that should you return we could make up for these service shortfalls.

I kindly ask that when you are planning your next visit do not hesitate to contact me directly via the hotel reception.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,813)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Excellent location, walking distance from Kings Cross - great location for tube links & theatre's. Arrived early, room available & was able to check in. Room very clean excellent facilities in room, mini bar expensive. Evening meal at hotel very good value and quality, excellent service at all times very professional staff. Will book here again and recommend to friends. Fire alarm went off do to inconsiderate smoking individual.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 160 nice and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maxbee59

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

just arived home from london .we stayed at this hotel for one night for a theatre break .had booked a mattine show we arived at this hotel at 11 am to ask if we could leave our bags but was told that a room was available and we could check in which meant we could change our clothes before the show .room was very clean and of adequate size with all the ammeneties required .hotel in a good location twenty minutes walk to central london and our theatre .the breakfast was one of the best iv had plenty of choice and a full english breakfast .would use this hotel again and reccomend it .thanks for a pleasant stay ,ps to the person that set the fire alarm of by smocking in their room at five am should be banned from all hotels in london selfish

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AngleseyTraveler

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We chose this hotel for its location. Excellent tube links and close to Oxford Street. We arrived early expecting the room not to be ready as we arrived at 10:00, and check in was 14:00 however the room was available and we were offered a smoking room which was good. The receptionist was very efficient. The hotel is full of character and decorated accordingly, some of the stairs I can tell have been well used and a bit of tlc, I found the corridor outside of our room noisy. The room itself was decent. The bar called Trunk was pleasant, this was also where breakfast was served. We arrived at 9;30 was fairly busy- to be expected. We have stayed in several Radisson hotels so we were looking forward to it. However it was disappointing sadly, we were seated and were told someone would be over to take our hot drinks/toast however this didn't happen so we had to ask to the service controller.At one point the queue was nearly out of the door for guests waiting to be sat. Compared to other Radisson breakfasts this one was somewhat lacklustre, no fried eggs no yogurts a poor selection really. I found the seating in Trunk to be quite uncomfortable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank cricketfan17

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hotel was very convenient for what we wanted. We walked to Leicester square and oxford street a short stroll from the hotel. Found the hotel quiet noisy on the corridors and the selection at breakfast wasn't great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Jackie,

Thank you for staying at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel on your recent trip to London!

I have passed on your feedback to the relevant departments regarding the noise in the corridors and the breakfast selection, thank you for sharing you feedback with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Situated at the Euston Road end of Tottenham Court Road, this hotel, like many in London is housed in a lovely old mansion type building. It's opposite a Hospital and I expected that noise would be an issue but I was pleased to say it wasn't. Check in was extremely efficient and friendly, in fact there was always a number of staff to greet / open doors and welcome when ever you left or returned. We had a standard twin room, which was 3rd floor facing into a small courtyard. The room wasn't huge, but neither was it as small as some rooms we have stayed in in London, it was perfectly adequate. All of the usual things you would expect, air con / heat / good selection of TV / Audio, Ipod dock etc, etc. Nice sized and well appointed bathroom. I have to say I liked the location, its very near to Warren St and Googe St stations, an easy walk to Ox St and theres loads of food options locally if you don't want to dine in the Hotel. Would I stay again - yes definately at the right price. Why ? - Location, quality of staff and cleanliness and quality (maybe not size) of the rooms make this place a winner.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Martin D

Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, it is very much appreciated!

The team and I lok forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

No lounge, not very polite service and elegant waiters and waitresses and not very close to city centre.
no swimming pool and no state of the art gymnasium and sauna and jacuzzi!
Vey close to city centre. no Amazing art in rooms and no great sofasets in the room too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Anisharyan,

Thank you for your review on your recent visit to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel.

It is disappointing to read that you found the Grafton to be a ‘Budget Hotel’ and have to say I do feel that is an unfair comment, however appreciate your feedback.

With regards to some of the comments made, I do feel I need to clarify so that our future travellers know we have these facilities - we do have a very popular lounge for our guests as well as Trunk Bar and Restaurant, our location is within a 10 minute walk to Oxford Street, Camden, Soho and Leicester Square, which is fairly central depending on which part of London you are after, also we do have rooms which have sofa sets however they’re in King Deluxe bedrooms and upwards, whereas the room type you booked was a double standard, we also have a gym which has been equipped with the latest machines.

If there is anything I can be of assistance with please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel reception.

Best regards,