“Good central base for London business travel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel

Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel
Ranked #355 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good central base for London business travel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times on business as it is one of the London hotels my organisation uses regularly - stayed most recently in December 2013. The location is a strong selling point - right next door to Warren Street tube station, just around the corner from Euston Square tube station, a short hop from Euston and King's Cross St Pancras railway stations, and well served by buses into the West End. Noise can be an issue given that the hotel is located right on a busy road near a major junction - request a rear-facing room if possible as these are surprisingly peaceful. Rooms are very small but this isn't unusual for central London and they are cosy and designed to make the best use of the available space, with some nice touches like an iPod docking station provided. Guest floors can only be accessed with a key card which I found reassuring as a solo female traveller. Complimentary wifi is supposedly available throughout the hotel but I have found that the signal is been so weak in the rooms that it is often unusable without going down to the lobby or restaurant which can be a pain. Breakfast is expensive if not included in your room price but good quality and enhanced by Hasan's cheery morning greetings!

Room Tip: Ask for a rear-facing room away from the lifts for more peace and quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Luo_Qing81
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel.

The team and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We happened to arrive at the hotel much earlier than the stated check in time, around 9am, however rather than simply storing our luggage the reception staff were extremely helpful and allowed us to check in right away.
The room was clean, well set up and in a quiet area of the hotel. The room service lights are a nice touch, saves people removing do not disturb signs from your door! With the room being away from the road, it was a short walk from the hotel entrance, but that is to be expected in any hotel. The breakfast was very nice, I would have liked it if there was more water available, but the food was very nice, and eating later on in the service allows for a very quiet and relaxed breakfast.
The location is great for access to warren street station, and is close to supermarkets and coffee shops just in case you need something!
Very nice hotel and staff, would definitely come again!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Bal07
Dear Bal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedbcak with us.

I am delighted to read taht you enjoyed your stay. If I can be of assistance with future reservations do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel reception.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

.Without a doubt the absolute worst guest experience at a hotel in years. Have stayed at this particular Radisson in past as my company books here due to their business relationship. Someone needs to remind the front staff of this relationship and also remind them that no matter what a guest asks for, try to offer that service. Or die trying.

I was fortunate to be in London at the start of the Christmas season, Thanksgiving Day!
Upon registration, I asked about the room, Room 456. Is it roomy? My previous stay was in a closet of a room with absolutely no where to literally turn around; but that was a "single room". This time I was booked in a "double room". I asked to see the room, but on hearing it was a double I declined, a regrettable error in judgment. I mean, hey, this is a Radisson, right?

Next I asked front desk to please make sure my points went to my choice of airlines; no that certainly could not be done, I had to contact the customer service for my account. Really???
I then trucked my carryon bag (22" bag) up to the room, and down the hall to the last stop on the floor, oh how I had wished for a bus. I had traveled non-stop nearly 30 hours and it was 9AM.

Enter the key, open the door, and you have got to be kidding! I could not get my bag and myself into the room at the same time. The bed was so close to the door. there was only the width of the door, which hit the bed to walk in. I proceeded to hoist my bag over the bed to stage it closest to the bath. Ugh, a double room, nice...again. But the room DID have the obligatory small round work table, an oversized armoire (closet) an oversized desk with the hair dryer super glued into the drawer and the cord that was not long enough to see in any mirror. Nice again. and the all the furniture except the bed were definitely period pieces, probably 50's. Posh.

Went down to desk, asked to be moved, but unfortunately not possible until 4PM. Ah, that would be a "no". Anything else avail? No, sorry. Is your manager available? No, I do not think so. Do you have a pen you may lend to me, I left my bag up in the room. No, I don't have a pen, but there is a pencil in the portfolio in your room. I would like a pen, seriously you don't have a pen?
One was produced. A chewed top bic with nearly zero ink. No little blue top on pen, that had been chewed off; just the open barrel. Nice touch.

I did decline the room change as I was in desperate need of sleep. Back up again, trucked the hallway, totally annoyed, crawled onto the bed from front door. Sleep was not happening, I was claustrophobic. The room measured 8 x 8 useable space. The bed was 6x6. Deplorable to say the least. Shame on Radisson, shame on the manager for not training the staff better, shame on the Hotel for calling itself luxury.

The hot towel bar did not work, the shower slip an fall factor was significant due to the pretty glass doors that force one to enter from the rear of the shower where it is on a slant to hasten drainage. Horrid overhead lights only, no reading lights at bedside. Bathroom had no flat surface to stage my personal items. But it sure looked pur-ty.

So, how was my stay? Are you kidding me? Radisson says in room brochure, let us know, we will take care of it or you won't pay. The following morning I did mention all, I did ask again for the manager, who was in a meeting, and I did give the pen back.

I have taken this scenario (with pictures) to my company. Hopefully they will re-think their booking this hotel or Radisson will treat this cash cow a bit better in the future.

Room Tip: If this hotel has anew and an old section, I obviously have this trip and previous trips been banned...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SusanS609
Dear Susan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

My apologies that on this occasion the room was not to your complete satisfaction.

For any future stays, I kindly ask that you contact me prior to arrival so that I can make note of your preferences and allocate a room accordingly.

Solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We only stayed one night and as the hotel is on a busy road we asked for a quiet room, which was no problem at all. The fixtures and fittings were very good and we had a super comfortable night. All staff, at reception, in the bar and restaurant and the cleaning staff were very polite and helpful which made the stay enjoyable. In particular we enjoyed the breakfast which was delicious. The cooked breakfast was extremely tasty and there was beautiful selection of prepared fresh fruits which set us up for the day ahead.
However be warned, if you move anything in the room fridge it is electronically tagged and they think you have drunk it( and try to charge you for it!), when all we had done was put in some fresh milk and the complimentary water to cool down! It is so close to Warren Street tube which is on two lines so it made every journey simple and quick. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level room and at the back- these are quieter rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank feather57
Stacey J, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Feather,

This is a great review! Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor – It is very much appreciated.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We recently stayed for three nights for a belated Anniversary with friends.

Hotel welcome was excellent which is what you expect from the Radisson Brand and the Grafton did not disappoint.
Commendation should be given particularly to Stacey,Camilla, Felix and Hasan.

The hotel is excellent for the tube and is 30 seconds away from Warren Street and a ten min walk from Euston, all of which helps save time when on a short visit.

If there was one improvement the hotel should make it would be to have a hairdryer that extended to the mirror, in our room 311 the hairdryer was fixed, we all like to look in the mirror to examine our hair men and women don't we?

Would stay again when in London.

Room Tip: 311 faces the back and is quiet, deluxe double. 312 faces the overlooks the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dajo007
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Grafton hotel.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Channel Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

stayed here with my daughter - the location close to Euston and the tube were the reason for staying and the only reason I would return. I had issues with the room keys to start with - they were in the midst of changing the type of locks and I was given the wrong type. It is quite a walk back to reception with a heavy bag so I waited in the corridor hoping for a member of staff to pass - eventually a very helpful housekeeper came along and arranged for another key to be brought up. Two days later my key stopped working so this time with no bag I trooped back down to reception. We had one dinner in the restaurant which was average but quite expensive and 2 breakfasts - the continental items were okay but the cooked option was very disappointing - certainly not worth the difference in cost. The room was quiet, warm and large enough - there were lots of toiletries in the dispensing bottles but personally I thought they were awful - medicinal like cold remedies !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rebem
Dear Guets,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

So disappointed with this hotel. Room lacks many of the basics one expects of a 4 star hotel.
No bedside light, no dressing gowns, heated towel rail not working.
The breakfast was very disorganised and slow.
Would never go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LRennison

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It is extremley disappointing to find that you did not have a good stay with us. I have sent you a message so that I can find out which room number you stayed in and if there is anything we can do to try and regain your trust in the organisation.

Kindest regards,