Carlton Hotel
$249
$211
Trip.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$185
$164
$347
$215
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
$252
$261
$242
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewso sole miocheap hotelkings crosshotel is perfectunderground stationvictoria
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night stay on 23/04/2014, through hotels.com in good faith. Unfortunately my children were ill and I had to cancel 2 days before arriving. I was covered with the free cancellation policy provided by hotels.com. It clearly sated I could cancel my stay, without incurring a charge, up to 23:59 on 21/04/14 and I cancelled at 17:15 hours that day. I received confirmation of the cancellation from hotels.com, stating no charge would be made. A few days later I checked my online banking and noticed £149 had been taken from my account by Carlton hotel. Firstly I emailed hotels.com, 3 times, but received no reply. Then on Tuesday 29th April I rang The Carlton Hotel and explained the situation to the receptionist that answered. He advised my stay was booked for 22/04 and therefore I'd cancelled too late... Not the case I replied! Definitely booked for 23/04 as I have confirmation email in front of me from hotels.com. He than agreed that I shouldn't have been charged and that he would have to speak with the manager to arrange refund. He asked me to call back after 10:00am. I rang back and spoke with the manager, who pretended not to know what I was talking about to begin with. Then admitted his colleague had discussed it with him but I was wrong and I needed to have cancelled my room by 23:59 hours on the 20/04. I again advised I had an email with the time and date clearly stated from hotels.com. He then advised they don't follow that policy. I asked if that was the case why had they not sent their own email advising me of their policy after my booking details had been sent to them. He was extremely rude and bluntly refused to return my money. Even after I'd explained I'm a single mother and could ill afford to lose £149 out of my weekly budget. The trip was an Easter treat for the children and my mum was going to pay for the hotel when we arrived.
I spent numerous hours on the telephone to hotels.com and even after speaking with them he's refused to refund my money. My case has been escalated to the hotels.com London area manger to try and sort out but this could take up to 7 days. In the meantime I've sent 2 further emails to the Carlton hotel manager appealing to his better nature and asking for my money to be returned as I have no money in my account until next Tuesday. I have received no response.
Why a hotel would do such a thing is beyond me. All I can say is be very careful if you've booked and given card details as a guarantee and then unfortunately have to cancel. They will charge you no matter what. They still haven't provided me with any proof of their actual cancelation policy and I believe they make it up as they go along. He's an awful obnoxious man, who doesn't give a damn about doing the right thing by a young family.
I'm very glad I didn't go to the hotel to be honest as if the manager is anything to go by, it's a very unfriendly place to stay!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bridgemuppett
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not the ritz far from it but u pay for what u get, room was clean. I was on the top floor lots of stairs no lift but I doubt very much they can put one in as it's an old building. The only negative comments I have, coat hangers need sorting, when I arrived it was the most warmest of welcomes.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed with Carlton for 3 days. We were traveling in a group of 7 people and opted for 2 Room with 4 & 3 single Bed respectively. The Rooms are very small but neat and clean, however the toilets are rather small probably the size of your wardrobe at home :) but clean though
Front Desk Staff was very helpful and even helped us with Tea when housekeeping were not around. The complimentary breakfast is a name sake and had, Bread Toast & 4 variety of cereals with Milk. However, there are alot of local joints nearby to enjoy an English Breakfast.look out for Cafe Mignon which is a 5mins walk away from the hotel. they serve very nice English Breakfast for about 5-6 pounds.
There are no Elevator in the Hotel so you need to drag your luggage to the room. If you are reaching early, you can keep the luggage in the lobby and go around until your room is ready for check-in.
While there is no Internet, The hotel offer Wifi for 5 pounds for the entire duration of your stay. Else you can use Internet on the desktop, next to reception for free.
Overall the Reception Staff is friendly and stay is pleasant for the price you pay :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Considering that I paid £35 for a single room, I was not expecting the peaks of luxury. Indeed, having read the mixed comments on the review websites I did wonder what I was going to be letting myself in for, but then, for one night........! On arrival, a pleasant and helpful receptionist, speedy check-in and up to the room. Not huge, but absolutely adequate, clean, fresh and tidy. Fuctional toilet and 'wet' room - no separate shower cubicle which meant that artistic pointing of the shower attachment made the whole room wet! Entertaining but workable. Adequate if not a bit unimaginative breakfast. Overall though, it did what was needed. I was comfortable, well looked after by the staff and felt that I had got a great deal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2014

we stayed here for two nights in a shared room for 3 adults bed and breakfast for £250.00 so very reasonably priced. Room very basic but for a base just what we needed. Reception staff very pleasant which is more than can be said for the staff serving breakfast very abrupt almost curt and definitely unapproachable!! breakfast was very basic just one choice of cereal then hot food but only eggs beans toast and toamatoes bacon and sausage but substantial enough. hotel fantastically based for kings cross indeed we could see the station entrance from our room and theres a couple of 24 hour macdonalds very close as well!! would i use it again?? yes if you want an inexpensive no frills base.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family