“Watch out. They will rip you off!!!”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #897 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night stay on 23/04/2014, through hotels.com in good faith. Unfortunately my children were ill and I had to cancel 2 days before arriving. I was covered with the free cancellation policy provided by hotels.com. It clearly sated I could cancel my stay, without incurring a charge, up to 23:59 on 21/04/14 and I cancelled at 17:15 hours that day. I received confirmation of the cancellation from hotels.com, stating no charge would be made. A few days later I checked my online banking and noticed £149 had been taken from my account by Carlton hotel. Firstly I emailed hotels.com, 3 times, but received no reply. Then on Tuesday 29th April I rang The Carlton Hotel and explained the situation to the receptionist that answered. He advised my stay was booked for 22/04 and therefore I'd cancelled too late... Not the case I replied! Definitely booked for 23/04 as I have confirmation email in front of me from hotels.com. He than agreed that I shouldn't have been charged and that he would have to speak with the manager to arrange refund. He asked me to call back after 10:00am. I rang back and spoke with the manager, who pretended not to know what I was talking about to begin with. Then admitted his colleague had discussed it with him but I was wrong and I needed to have cancelled my room by 23:59 hours on the 20/04. I again advised I had an email with the time and date clearly stated from hotels.com. He then advised they don't follow that policy. I asked if that was the case why had they not sent their own email advising me of their policy after my booking details had been sent to them. He was extremely rude and bluntly refused to return my money. Even after I'd explained I'm a single mother and could ill afford to lose £149 out of my weekly budget. The trip was an Easter treat for the children and my mum was going to pay for the hotel when we arrived.
I spent numerous hours on the telephone to hotels.com and even after speaking with them he's refused to refund my money. My case has been escalated to the hotels.com London area manger to try and sort out but this could take up to 7 days. In the meantime I've sent 2 further emails to the Carlton hotel manager appealing to his better nature and asking for my money to be returned as I have no money in my account until next Tuesday. I have received no response.
Why a hotel would do such a thing is beyond me. All I can say is be very careful if you've booked and given card details as a guarantee and then unfortunately have to cancel. They will charge you no matter what. They still haven't provided me with any proof of their actual cancelation policy and I believe they make it up as they go along. He's an awful obnoxious man, who doesn't give a damn about doing the right thing by a young family.
I'm very glad I didn't go to the hotel to be honest as if the manager is anything to go by, it's a very unfriendly place to stay!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bridgemuppett

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not the ritz far from it but u pay for what u get, room was clean. I was on the top floor lots of stairs no lift but I doubt very much they can put one in as it's an old building. The only negative comments I have, coat hangers need sorting, when I arrived it was the most warmest of welcomes.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed with Carlton for 3 days. We were traveling in a group of 7 people and opted for 2 Room with 4 & 3 single Bed respectively. The Rooms are very small but neat and clean, however the toilets are rather small probably the size of your wardrobe at home :) but clean though
Front Desk Staff was very helpful and even helped us with Tea when housekeeping were not around. The complimentary breakfast is a name sake and had, Bread Toast & 4 variety of cereals with Milk. However, there are alot of local joints nearby to enjoy an English Breakfast.look out for Cafe Mignon which is a 5mins walk away from the hotel. they serve very nice English Breakfast for about 5-6 pounds.
There are no Elevator in the Hotel so you need to drag your luggage to the room. If you are reaching early, you can keep the luggage in the lobby and go around until your room is ready for check-in.
While there is no Internet, The hotel offer Wifi for 5 pounds for the entire duration of your stay. Else you can use Internet on the desktop, next to reception for free.
Overall the Reception Staff is friendly and stay is pleasant for the price you pay :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Considering that I paid £35 for a single room, I was not expecting the peaks of luxury. Indeed, having read the mixed comments on the review websites I did wonder what I was going to be letting myself in for, but then, for one night........! On arrival, a pleasant and helpful receptionist, speedy check-in and up to the room. Not huge, but absolutely adequate, clean, fresh and tidy. Fuctional toilet and 'wet' room - no separate shower cubicle which meant that artistic pointing of the shower attachment made the whole room wet! Entertaining but workable. Adequate if not a bit unimaginative breakfast. Overall though, it did what was needed. I was comfortable, well looked after by the staff and felt that I had got a great deal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2014

we stayed here for two nights in a shared room for 3 adults bed and breakfast for £250.00 so very reasonably priced. Room very basic but for a base just what we needed. Reception staff very pleasant which is more than can be said for the staff serving breakfast very abrupt almost curt and definitely unapproachable!! breakfast was very basic just one choice of cereal then hot food but only eggs beans toast and toamatoes bacon and sausage but substantial enough. hotel fantastically based for kings cross indeed we could see the station entrance from our room and theres a couple of 24 hour macdonalds very close as well!! would i use it again?? yes if you want an inexpensive no frills base.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Upon check in my husband and I didn't have a decent experience from the start. The front desk attendant was rude right away once he asked if we were sharing a double bed, saying, "You know you're sharing a double bed ?" We both answered yes thinking nothing of it. My husband is 20 years older than me and sometimes people think he's my father perhaps, but we've encountered this before and never think anything of it. Except this time the attendant became exasperated with us for the few questions we asked, i.e. where is the nearest tube stop, is there a small market nearby for minor favors and are there any codes or password necessary for WIFI connection. Hesitantly he answered refusing to even look at us in the face. We began to worry but decided then, perhaps he was having a bad day and or maybe it was just him and other attendants might be more pleasant. Unfortunately we couldn't stay any longer to find out. After realizing there is no lift, he said our room was on the first floor, but actually it was five flights of stairs on the third floor. As soon as we opened the room the smell of cigarette smoke overwhelmed our noses. We thought to open the window to air it out a bit which helped very little. Next we needed to turn on the lights, we had no idea how to do so. We are from America and weren't used to sliding your room key into an electric slot on the wall. We tried to call the front desk from the room and realized the telephone didn't work. Down the three flights of stairs, back to the desk for information on how to get the lights on. Again, the attendant was put out by our question and heavily sighed as if it were such a problem for him to waste his breath with direction. Back up the three flights of stairs. The room was much less the size of Paris Hilton's closet and the bathroom (which is an extra cost if you like an in-room toilet) was the size of a modest closet in a middle-class home, included the shower...think shower on an overnight train--you're showing with the toilet ! OK, this is interesting we thought. We were staying a week in London and had to decide if this would accommodate us for the entire stay. We decided to give it a go. Back down the stairs we were reluctant to ask the front desk attendant for directions to the tube or call for a taxi but thought the better of it and asked anyway. He became disgruntled and said he had never had so many questions from anyone on the first night. That was the moment I lost patience with him. I asked if he had a problem with us for any reason. Sharply, he answered no ! I don't have a problem with gay people at all. Why would that come up in the first place ? That's when I said you're prejudiced aren't you ? He repeated the question, "I'm prejudiced !?" I replied, yes I believe you are. I said you have been nothing but rude to us since we checked in and he gave me an 'oh contraire' answer saying I am and he doesn't have any issues. That's when we marched back up the three flights of stairs to our room and phoned American Express to cancel any charges from this hotel. I had to explain we felt unsafe and uncomfortable staying there because the owner of the hotel is obviously homophobic. I no longer entrusted anyone working in that hotel to have any possible access into our room with our belongings etc. Amex was very agreeable, apologizing for our experience and said not to worry at all and even offered more coverage for us if we need emergency care etc., very affilable and willing to provide any services they could. After our conversation with Amex my husband went to the attendant to inform him we are leaving his hotel. The attendant said we had to pay for that night and it's their policy to charge for an additional night saying it was because of the inconvenience to them. We made an agreement from that point on not to speak with this individual any longer. We marched three or doors up the street to the Holiday Inn Express and booked our week stay with them, by the way they are fantastic and so was the room (read the review). When we returned to The Carlton for our luggage. I informed the attendant because I did not feel safe in his hotel and because he was so incredibly rude an unaccommodating we would not be paying for a single night. He belligerently began yelling at me and started to walk out from the behind the desk in my direction. At that moment I said I am phoning the police right away. He suggested I do so and my husband calmed me and we left as quickly as we could. Obviously this is the worse situation anyone could be in. I strongly recommend you find another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank gayboy32
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Booked at the last minute at a very reasonable price, room was clean and freshly decorated although shower room was very small, my room was on the top floor and there is no lift so it was quite a trek up many flights of stairs. Left before breakfast started so can’t comment on that but for the price paid and considering its central location I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business