“Good hotel”

Ranked #604 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Vossevangen, Norway
“Good hotel”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Sidney hotel for three nights in the busy pre-Christmas time. The hotel is centrally located and not far from the Victoria coach station. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel and also many cabs pass by (however, many of the taxi drivers didn`t know where Belgrave Road was when we tried to get back to the hotel). The room was a bit small but very nice and modern and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was quite small but clean and functional. Our room was in the basement and we didn`t have any view nor the daylight. The floors are not very well isolated so we could hear people walking to the breakfast room in the morning. Organization of breakfast was too complicated: guests had to be registered at the entrance and then led to their table. Sometimes there were no tables left and we had to wait for a long time. Variety of the food was basic: toasts, croissant, butter and jam. There were not enough toasts and it took long time to fill up with food. The only coffee machine created a large line and the employees as well as the guests were stressed. We ordered a glass of wine from the bar at the reception one evening. The bar was operated by the reception staff who was apparently not trained to it and we were also told that they were not barmen. Anyway, our stay at the hotel was ok and we might come back when in London next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ToyotaLandCruiser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great hotel for the price. Good location, with easy access to the tube station. Room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was one of the best I have seen in a hotel - lovely. My only real complaint was that breakfast was very limited (even for continental), i.e. toast, crossaints and cereal.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the basement rooms - can hear people walking in the bar above and when they use the to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laura p
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the Sidney for 2 nights this week. The hotel is in a good location for easy access to the coach station, the tube station and also a bus service with a stop right outside the hotel.
The room we had was a twin. It was very clean, bedding clean and made each day. The bathroom was modern and clean. The room was small but ok as we were out most of the time. The breakfast was a continental, wih usual cereals, toast, croissants, also a a bit of fruit.
We booked for location and as we were on a low budget, it worked out very well.

Room Tip: We had a room which overlooked the main street, there was a bit of noise as there is a bus service r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Maurice M
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Sidney Hotel in June last year. The room was small but the beds were comfortable (very important). The bathroom, on the other hand was uncomfortably small. There wasn't much room to manoeuvre in the shower. The continental breakfast was basic and missable. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned daily. The staff was polite and efficient but not friendly. Polite and efficient will do for a short stay. The location is perfect, absolutely convenient to get to wherever we wanted to go. We were able to walk to the theatre, Buckingham Palace, Westminster, etc., which saved tube money. Had a choice of two tube stations a ten minute and seven minute walk away. Our internet service was free because I booked directly with the hotel but it was inconvenient to check with the front desk daily to change the access code. Would I stay here again? If I got the same rate, sure. If I have to pay more then it's not worth it. Most of the hotels in the area have very small rooms; the differences are in the details. Some reviews said the Sidney was run down but I would have to disagree.

The Sidney is a comfortable enough budget hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Magdeburg, Germany
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here for a week in January. The room was clean, comfortable, had lovely telly. The location is great, not too far from great food and the tube station. Price was a little high and needing to pay for internet really was unpleasant. One man at the desk was rude and a bit of a bully. Overall, a pretty good stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for two nights, staff helpful, hotel clean, convenient and comfortable. Bedroom and shower room compact but quite sufficient as a base for visiting London. Continental breakfast perfectly acceptable. No queues when we were there.

Room Tip: Back of hotel is likely to be quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have to start by saying that I stayed at the hotel with one of my friends, and we've been travelling in England for two weeks before we stayed at the Sidney Hotel on Belgrave Rd, London.
The experience at this hotel was horrific and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It was the first of our two nights stay at the hotel, when around 4 AM I got woken up by some noise from the upstairs neighbour (who was incredibly loud both nights), and suddenly I see a man staring at me through our open door. I understand that this already sounds incredibly creepy, but the experience got more strange and disturbing. I ran to the door and I ask him why did he open the door. He said that the door was open. I remember the door actually being closed, this was clearly a intentional invasion of privacy and potentially security. I find it unacceptable that he never knocked at the door, or never said anything before opening it (housekeeping, front desk, security, etc), and when I kept asking him why he didn't knock, he would just answer that the door was open (which clearly shows that he recognized that he did not knock). He wasn't even wearing a name tag. I didn't know who he was or if he even worked there. I asked for his name and went back to bed but clearly after all this couldn't get any sleep.
The next morning I went to the reception and asked to speak to a manager which turned out to be completely useless. He told me he would get back to me, as soon as he talks to that person. It seems as if other staff members had already heard about what happened and knew who I was referring to and had already written a report about it. On our checkout day I went to ask the same manager what he had found out about that guy. I was told that he did have his name tag, but it was in his hand - not helpful- and that he did knock on the door, when in fact I know for sure he didn't, and he himself admitted that. That there, truly made me "laugh". My security and privacy was invaded by one of the "employees" and the manager didn't even bother to address my valid concerns. For a 4 star hotel, that holds a deposit for the incidentals, this is, completely unprofessional.
As hotel guests we pay for two main services: privacy and security. Both of these were butchered by the Sidney Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Tinatea

Travelers are raving about these London hotels