“Comfortable enough and convenient”

Sidney Hotel London-Victoria
Ranked #596 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Comfortable enough and convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Sidney Hotel in June last year. The room was small but the beds were comfortable (very important). The bathroom, on the other hand was uncomfortably small. There wasn't much room to manoeuvre in the shower. The continental breakfast was basic and missable. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned daily. The staff was polite and efficient but not friendly. Polite and efficient will do for a short stay. The location is perfect, absolutely convenient to get to wherever we wanted to go. We were able to walk to the theatre, Buckingham Palace, Westminster, etc., which saved tube money. Had a choice of two tube stations a ten minute and seven minute walk away. Our internet service was free because I booked directly with the hotel but it was inconvenient to check with the front desk daily to change the access code. Would I stay here again? If I got the same rate, sure. If I have to pay more then it's not worth it. Most of the hotels in the area have very small rooms; the differences are in the details. Some reviews said the Sidney was run down but I would have to disagree.

The Sidney is a comfortable enough budget hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Magdeburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here for a week in January. The room was clean, comfortable, had lovely telly. The location is great, not too far from great food and the tube station. Price was a little high and needing to pay for internet really was unpleasant. One man at the desk was rude and a bit of a bully. Overall, a pretty good stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed for two nights, staff helpful, hotel clean, convenient and comfortable. Bedroom and shower room compact but quite sufficient as a base for visiting London. Continental breakfast perfectly acceptable. No queues when we were there.

Room Tip: Back of hotel is likely to be quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have to start by saying that I stayed at the hotel with one of my friends, and we've been travelling in England for two weeks before we stayed at the Sidney Hotel on Belgrave Rd, London.
The experience at this hotel was horrific and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It was the first of our two nights stay at the hotel, when around 4 AM I got woken up by some noise from the upstairs neighbour (who was incredibly loud both nights), and suddenly I see a man staring at me through our open door. I understand that this already sounds incredibly creepy, but the experience got more strange and disturbing. I ran to the door and I ask him why did he open the door. He said that the door was open. I remember the door actually being closed, this was clearly a intentional invasion of privacy and potentially security. I find it unacceptable that he never knocked at the door, or never said anything before opening it (housekeeping, front desk, security, etc), and when I kept asking him why he didn't knock, he would just answer that the door was open (which clearly shows that he recognized that he did not knock). He wasn't even wearing a name tag. I didn't know who he was or if he even worked there. I asked for his name and went back to bed but clearly after all this couldn't get any sleep.
The next morning I went to the reception and asked to speak to a manager which turned out to be completely useless. He told me he would get back to me, as soon as he talks to that person. It seems as if other staff members had already heard about what happened and knew who I was referring to and had already written a report about it. On our checkout day I went to ask the same manager what he had found out about that guy. I was told that he did have his name tag, but it was in his hand - not helpful- and that he did knock on the door, when in fact I know for sure he didn't, and he himself admitted that. That there, truly made me "laugh". My security and privacy was invaded by one of the "employees" and the manager didn't even bother to address my valid concerns. For a 4 star hotel, that holds a deposit for the incidentals, this is, completely unprofessional.
As hotel guests we pay for two main services: privacy and security. Both of these were butchered by the Sidney Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Tinatea

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel was very clean all through, rooms were nice, great stay for the price paid, location was also good too. Plenty of bars shops and restuarants locally. Great location for site seeing, london eye and big ben all within walking distance. Rooms had tea, coffee (tetley and nescafe lol) making facilities, also TV and hair dryer .

The hotel staff were amazing, nothing too much trouble, all service with a friendly smile. Staff willingly gave tourist info and help. Reading reviews about complaints of the breakfast, unless you like a plateful of fatty bacon, sauage and black pudding in the morning, you cannot complain, toast, croissants, coffee, tea, hot choc, cereals, fresh fruit and juice - how can people complain? its free too!!! For the price paid this hotel was welll worth it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tiverton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Having read the reviews after booking I was dreading stayinng here. So I was of course pleasantly surprised. Once I got over the grilling at reception where I had to produce my original credit card, then an identity document (really?) and wondered whether I looked like a criminal things got better. I refused the £25 deposit which was not a problem My room on the undergroind floor was a reasonable size, very comfortable bed, tea and coffee, quiet as at the back of the hotel. Yes tiny pod bathroom but if travelling alone it's fine.
Breakfast was fine, coffee good with taschen (?) machine, juice, toast, croissants, cereal, fruit sald (tinned but yum) and yoghurt. Only one coffee machine so something of a queue.
Overall good central location and pleasing looking building. Lots of good restaurants nearby.
So Management. Get your act together! Maybe people have run off without paying but dont penalise your current clients. The gestapo approach isnt good. Look at your customer service here and around allocating breakfast tables and you'll improve your scores phenomenally. Nice hotel but poor service training!

Room Tip: Room 603 was fine!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I spent there last Friday night ...booked double room - got SMALL BOX with the NOT A DOUBLE BED. My boyfriend is quite tall, and his feet was just dangling of the bed....

You had to pay returnable deposit of £25.00??? What for? if we wouldn't not pay by cash, then you would have to use your credit card and wait to get the money back for another 8-10 days (that what I was told at the reception). Also, problem with me being a foreigner and not carrying around passport with me. I LIVE HERE in UK, I dont carry my passport around with me.

Also, if you wanted to watch TV - you had to pay for it! CAN YOU BELIVE IN IT? also, half of the TV was blocked by the wardrobe....

Internet was NOT for free either....

Breakfast - hmmmm forthet about ham and cheese....

Clean and tidy, but I dont think I will be their guest ever again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple