“AVOID!!!”
Review of Kensington Rooms

Kensington Rooms
Ranked #999 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel:

Pros:
Room was clean
2 minute walk from a lovely restaurant (Garfunkel's)
pretty close to Natural History & Science Museum (15 min walk)

Cons:
Single glazed window with a room facing a main road meant very little sleep. I'm glad we didn’t go in the summer as having the window open would have made the noise worse
TV had 2 channels - a shopping channel and the cable information channel (yes really - that’s all!!)
On arrival I was told they needed a £50 'holding fee' in case we made any phone calls. I was NOT advised this when I booked!
The room key had to be left on reception each time we left the hotel. I wouldn’t have been comfortable doing this if I had been staying for longer. We ended up taking all valuables with us every time we left the room.
When we arrived at the hotel, we clearly interrupted an important conversation the receptionists were having as we were not given a warm welcome. We felt like more of an inconvenience to the staff.
The shower tray filled with water very quickly and I had to keep turning off the water during my shower to let it drain out and save flooding the bathroom (which wouldn’t have taken long given the size of it!)
The hairdryer didn’t work - I reported this when we checked out but I wasn’t offered any alternative.

In all, not a terrible hotel as it was clean but it needs some major improvement to get it up to what you expect when booking a hotel. I'm sure if we had booked one of the higher priced rooms we might have had a better experience. However I do expect to have basic amenities even when booking a standard room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kensington Rooms

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Good points first: The hotel is in a great area, being around a 15 minute walk away from the National History Museum and the Science Museum, it is also only 5 minutes away from Gloucester Road tube station which being on the Piccadilly line is ideal for travelling into the centre of London. It was also clean and the hotel itself was quiet.

Unfortunately, our double bed was infact two twin beds which had been pushed together with a duvet sheet which didn't fully fit the duvet which meant that I spent most of the night falling between the two beds which needless to say was not particularly conducive to a good night's sleep! The room itself was rather small and had some rather peculiar decoration in some "artistically" blurred photography of I presume random stranger's faces and ponds, there was also a rather fetching once again blurred photograph of a gentleman's torso in the reception which although not exactly offensive is just a bit strange. Bathroom was tiny, really tiny. The staff looked like they didn't want to be there and didn't bother to open the bar for the duration of the whole weekend. We also had to pay a £50 deposit on arrival, which is fair enough when given due notice but this was taken in cash and we were not informed in any of our booking information. My boyfriend also for some reason appeared to be allergic to something in the room, however, this could be due to cleaning products which had been used. Also this hotel is on a very busy road which is noisy through closed windows all night long, so I would suggest going for a room away from the street.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I found the staff on arrival to be very unwelcoming, no smiles or small talk. The room was clean and big enough so no complains there. Location was good although still not close enough to walk to any of the main attractions.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank emmasangster_
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Two friends and I recently stayed at Kensington Rooms in a triple share room (1 king and 1 pull-out bed) for a weekend in London. The location was perfect for the tube and there were plenty of supermarkets and places to eat nearby. The room itself was a good size and the beds were comfortable. It was also kept nice and warm considering the blast of snow we experienced while there! Everything was clean and the housekeeping was prompt and professional. The night staff (a man - sorry didn't get his name) was very helpful. My only gripe would be that, on our last day, the cold water stopped working while I was in the shower and the water became scaldingly hot - It righted itself within about half an hour though. All in all great value and great location, perfect for our needs and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Some of the other reviews complained about small room sizes, our triple share was more than big enou...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was due to stay here in August 2012. Whilst the staff were helpful and friendly the hotel itself was horrid. Corridors and lifts smelt and had graffiti.
The room was tiny, with stains on the carpet and bedding. The bathroom was beyond tiny plus dirty, damp and mouldy.
I didn’t stay and drove home instead.
For the price they charge there are many hotels which offer a much better service

Room Tip: Walk out the door and find another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ben n
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We where staying during new year in London, hotel was easy to find and is easy to access by the tube, cafees and restaurants close by, several Starbucks for one.

However the room was very small, in fact we had to store our bags in the closet just to be able to walk around the bed, the TV was a joke, 14" and only 5 channels, one was a homshopping-channel, the walls was incredibly thin, the couple next door had to be on their honeymoon if the number of times they had sex in one day was to judge by, was quite funny the first 3 times though.

There was some wear on the room, remote was repaired with tape, closet-doors was skewed and couldn't close completly, table where TV was placed was so dirty that it couldn't be cleaned, the shower had to be opened and closed several times or the water would keep running.

There was free Wifi in the lobby, but you had to ask the staff for the accescode - these days free WiFi should be standard everywhere in the hotel.

Staff was friendly and they work 24h so the reception is always manned.

Another funny thing is the brochure in the room, you can order in from a number of restaurants and have it delivered to the hotel at additional cost, you have to be REAL hungry to pay these extras, especially with a pizza-restaurant just across the street and a Burger King within a mile.

If you're in London alone it will proberly be good, but with kids or a friend I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel over new years. First room was very dirty and the lights did not work. Changed room which was cleaner but still very small. The bed barely fits in the room and it is a struggle to close the bathroom door with anyone of normal size inside. The location is a five minute walk from gloucester road station which is great but the hotel is old, tired, small and dirty. Our room faced cromwell road and was qiite noisey all night and along with the very soft mattress made sleeping difficult. If price is your only concern then it's ok but otherwise not great.

• Stayed: December 2012