“Fine, really”

Ranked #729 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Devon, United Kingdom
“Fine, really”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Have stayed at the Kensington West Hotel a couple of times. It's fine for what it is. Me and my mate laughed on arrival at the tiny room and bunk beds but you get what you pay for and all we were really interested in was having a night out in London.
Consider it as somewhere to dump your bags and rest your head. It's fine. Honestly :)

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank fizzyfizz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed for a night and I was satisfied. Room was clean and comfortable. Location is pretty good, too. Decor is nice and recently refurbished. Close to South Ken station. Met my expectaions.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jayjay2020
KensingtonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Kensington West Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Kensington West and giving us the pleaseure to be of service to you. We as a team thank you for your kind comments. We hope to welcome you again to the Kensington West in the near future.
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was not my first visit to Kensington West hotel, but I came back due to it serve the needs for bed in London (not breakfast). In this visit we came as a group with the big family, 6 adults and 4 children, 3 of them are below 5 years old. Kensington west was not an ideal place, I knew but we were willing to compromise. I have booked the hotel as usual, and made all booking enquiries two months before. All set. And our family started our long trip through UK, England countryside and Scottland all together by cars. There were five other cities that we spent the night before coming to our last stop in London. All hotels booked the same ways, and all were smooth. We arrived in London at 10 PM, and wanted to checked in to our four rooms straight away, as we were all tired. And what happened? Kensington West said there was no booking for us. The four rooms had been canceled and they sent the notification 2 days ago. They said the credit card I gave was declined. Though it worked for other 5 cities. I was like WHAT!! Why don't you notify us at least one week ago whilst our booking had been made 2 months before? Don't they even think that we had travelled and might not get access to our email? And these were kids we were talking about and it was late at night. We were trying to find other hotel that night but all full in London. The kids were afraid and tired and hungry. We were up to the emotion that we almost punch the guy at the reception. Some people were checked out but they said they cannot give us the room as it was booked for others. After two hours arguing, he finally gave one room with three bed for ten of us that night. Never ever I will stay in this hotel with no such consideration like this, with no profesionalism of people that manage the service for people who has travelled from across the world like me.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Rahher77
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it was really astonishing to read your review and I do apologize that this situation arose. I would like you to provide me with more details such as date and duration of stay as I personally would like to investigate this claim in order to write a more specific explanation to your review. We at Kensington West try to meet all our guests expectations and improve our services based on the reviews that our guests leave us. I hope that you choose to stay with us again and will personally make sure you will be given more professionalism. I do sincerely apologize to you. I will personally talk to the entire team at the Kensington West to ensure this does not occur again to any future guests. We appreciate your review which enables us to provide better services to our future guests.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Me and my two friends went down to London and spent one night at Kensington West. It was a pleasant place, the hotel is very clean along with the room. Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate is available, although, you have to walk back to reception where the machine is located to get it. Breakfast can be bought onsite which was a very nice feature, however, we did not purchase it.
Our room was a set of bunk beds and one single bed with an en-suite room, which was fine for us as there was a hair dryer, a TV, a good size mirror.
Not really any complaints, however, I was only in the hotel for two days. But it's easy to travel there from King's Cross Station as the sub station is incredibly close!

Room Tip: The ground floor was very quiet so I would assume further up, the room's are just as good.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank FutureGirl88
Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2012

i stayed in this hotel in december to celibrate my 60th birthday,with my partner. we had a great time,the room was a little small but could not fault anything. i would stay there again and found the staff helpful as for its location its well served by tube and bus and only 25min to the west end.( 5mins to tube station) as for the the people who have wrote negative reports of this hotel they should in my opinion get a life? alan dale skegness

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alan_w190733
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I normally write reasonably detailed, impartial reviews. With this hotel I can't!

I find it bizarre that such a place can sell rooms.

We were stuck for a hotel on a business trip and my partner booked this. Where do I start?

1) Behind the check in counter (the bleak check in counter) there was a wooden shelf with a handwritten note stating 'breakfast' selotaped to the front of it. On the shelf there was a ziplock bag with a croissant, some water and who cares what else.
2) The trip to the room reminded me of a bad dream where you are stuck in a building but can't get out. The corridors are all over the place and include numerous fire doors to compensate for the fact that the owners clearly stuffed as many rooms into this property without any regard for customer experience.
3) The room was tiny and the cover to the synthetic duvet was not very nice (I'm trying to be polite here!), suffice to say I slept on top of the duvet, I really didn't fancy getting into the bed.
4) The walls are paper thin. I could hear every conversation, door closing, etc...

I couldn't leave here quickly enough.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank martwald
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, the Kensington West believes in providing comfortable accommodation to all our guests. We sell a premier continental breakfast pack at £3.95 per pack. Most of our rooms are sold room only however guests are able to pre-purchase our premier packed breakfast which is advertised as a packed breakfast or purchase at reception. Currently the pack includes a fresh croissant, muffin, biscuit pack, fruit juice and a yogurt. (This is subject to change). There are a number of cafe's nearby where guests are able to have a full English Breakfast. We serve complementary hot beverages throughout your stay with us, which is available at reception. Regulations in the UK require fire door's in specific places and thus we abide by the regulations. We believe in providing exceptional customer experience to all of our guests and are aware that all of our guests have different expectations which we try and tailor the service at reception to suit each of your requirements. I am sad to hear that your duvet cover was not nice, if reception was made aware of this at the time we would have immediately changed this for you. We prefer to be given the opportunity to rectify any issues that arise during your stay with us, this is to enable your stay with us to be more pleasurable. I hope you will give us another try to change your views on the Kensington West.
Winnipeg
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I got a last minute deal for the Kensington through Londontown.com. The rooms are small but really, I was there for sightseeing in London, not sitting in my room. They offered free internet access which was helpful. There were shower gels in the rooms but not individual toiletries so consider bringing small bottles of your own shampoo and conditioner. The windows opened and while it was a busy street during the day, for the most part it quieted down at night.

It was an easy walk to the tube and just a few minutes away there is a Sainsbury Express where you can pick up food items for meals. There are no fridges in the rooms so buy just what you need. There is a coffee machine in the lobby which dispenses hot water, coffee, cappucino, etc.

Travelling alone, the front desk agents helped letting me know where to walk and when, what restaurants were handy and more.

Room Tip: There is an elevator so try for a higher floor room for more quiet sleeping.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo