“Words aren't sufficient” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #733 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Words aren't sufficient”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I normally write reasonably detailed, impartial reviews. With this hotel I can't!

I find it bizarre that such a place can sell rooms.

We were stuck for a hotel on a business trip and my partner booked this. Where do I start?

1) Behind the check in counter (the bleak check in counter) there was a wooden shelf with a handwritten note stating 'breakfast' selotaped to the front of it. On the shelf there was a ziplock bag with a croissant, some water and who cares what else.
2) The trip to the room reminded me of a bad dream where you are stuck in a building but can't get out. The corridors are all over the place and include numerous fire doors to compensate for the fact that the owners clearly stuffed as many rooms into this property without any regard for customer experience.
3) The room was tiny and the cover to the synthetic duvet was not very nice (I'm trying to be polite here!), suffice to say I slept on top of the duvet, I really didn't fancy getting into the bed.
4) The walls are paper thin. I could hear every conversation, door closing, etc...

I couldn't leave here quickly enough.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank martwald
KensingtonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Kensington West Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, the Kensington West believes in providing comfortable accommodation to all our guests. We sell a premier continental breakfast pack at £3.95 per pack. Most of our rooms are sold room only however guests are able to pre-purchase our premier packed breakfast which is advertised as a packed breakfast or purchase at reception. Currently the pack includes a fresh croissant, muffin, biscuit pack, fruit juice and a yogurt. (This is subject to change). There are a number of cafe's nearby where guests are able to have a full English Breakfast. We serve complementary hot beverages throughout your stay with us, which is available at reception. Regulations in the UK require fire door's in specific places and thus we abide by the regulations. We believe in providing exceptional customer experience to all of our guests and are aware that all of our guests have different expectations which we try and tailor the service at reception to suit each of your requirements. I am sad to hear that your duvet cover was not nice, if reception was made aware of this at the time we would have immediately changed this for you. We prefer to be given the opportunity to rectify any issues that arise during your stay with us, this is to enable your stay with us to be more pleasurable. I hope you will give us another try to change your views on the Kensington West.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Winnipeg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

I got a last minute deal for the Kensington through Londontown.com. The rooms are small but really, I was there for sightseeing in London, not sitting in my room. They offered free internet access which was helpful. There were shower gels in the rooms but not individual toiletries so consider bringing small bottles of your own shampoo and conditioner. The windows opened and while it was a busy street during the day, for the most part it quieted down at night.

It was an easy walk to the tube and just a few minutes away there is a Sainsbury Express where you can pick up food items for meals. There are no fridges in the rooms so buy just what you need. There is a coffee machine in the lobby which dispenses hot water, coffee, cappucino, etc.

Travelling alone, the front desk agents helped letting me know where to walk and when, what restaurants were handy and more.

Room Tip: There is an elevator so try for a higher floor room for more quiet sleeping.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank PAFWinnipeg
merseyside
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

when arrived room was small had single bed plus bunk beds ideal for children not an adult , and when was upgraded to a double room had to pay extra 15.00 per night which i thought was disgusting .also stated in discription there would be toiletries in bathroom not there .will not be going there again.On the positive side 5mins from tube station and olympia .bad experience .

Room Tip: dont go to this hotel , breakfast would not feed a mouse never mind an adult .
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank sheila alexandr... n

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Cumbria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

Ok, so I stayed here with a colleague this week purely because it was close to Olympia Conference Centre and the price was ok for a twin room (although we were in the family 5 room).
On the positive side:
5 mins walk from Olympia
5 mins walk from the tube
Quiet street
Excellent pressure in the shower.
Clean sheets

Now for the negatives:
Very cramped (our room had a double bed, bunk beds and a single in - left no room to swing a cat - I would hate to actually have 5 people in this room)
Miniscule bathroom (no hand-towels, no bathmat for getting out of the shower, loose fixtures and fittings......but fancy-looking soap and showergel?? Why?? Surely money would be better spent tidying up the rooms?)
Terrible mattresses - very lumpy and soggy, awful if you have any kind of back problems like me.

Also, rather randomly, the TV remote was fastened to a cable to the wall, presumably so it can't be stolen?? Who would steal a TV remote????!!!! There was also only one socket in our room which was a pain when two of us needed to use computeers/charge phone's etc.

Would I stay here again?? Only if I had to be near Olympia; it was for one night only; I was with a colleague (I wouldn't want to be walking the quiet streets on my own to find evening meals etc) and only if there was no-where else. It's very basic, very cramped but is somewhere to put your head for a night.

Room Tip: Don't expect 5 people to be "comfortable" in the room that sleeps 5 people.......
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

My in-laws booked to stay here when they arrived from the USA last month. They were met with a room so small there was nowhere to put their luggage, a filthy bathroom, only 1 'crusty' towel, and a surly, rude employee who barely spoke English. Not a great welcome on their first visit to the UK!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FifthEarl
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

The door to the room was broken so every time I went in the man from reception had to open it with a screwdriver. There was no toilet paper in the room so I had to go to reception to ask for some (no phone). The TV in the room did not work and they could not fix it. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen (even smaller than the ones in Hong Kong). The room had bunk beds! Is this a hotel or a hostel? The carpet probably hadn't been cleaned in the 21st Century. And to top it all they refused to give me breakfast saying that I hadn't paid for it even though the booking said it was included.

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 3Frequent_Traveller3
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Clean, comfortable, value for money and reception staff very helpful. Convenient location, short walk to Earls Court and Kensington High Street, 5 mins to No 10 bus to Marble Arch/Oxford Street and 5 mins to West Kensington tube on the District Line. Sainsbury's 2 mins walk on this nice quiet road. Sunny front terrace/garden, complementary tea/coffee all day. Altogether really enjoyed my two nights there, bed very comfortable, sunny bedroom on 3rd floor, lift/elevator available, flat screen tv and clean ensuite bathroom. Clean towels every day (could have done with a mat when exiting shower!). Did not have breakfast either morning so cannot comment. I booked a double room as it cost the same as a single. This may have been a bit on the small side for two people but then who spends time in their bedroom in London..... except to sleep?!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo