“Good location, great value, a must stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avni Kensington Hotel

Avni Kensington Hotel
Ranked #714 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Good location, great value, a must stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

A great bargain stay for london. We had a large family room in the basement, with kitchen, bathroom & separate bedroom. Very clean & comfortable, with a good breakfast. Great location for the tube, restaurants & within walking distance of the V&A, & British Museum. I wouldn't stay anywhere else now.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Me and my friend booked a trip to London for my birthday to include tickets to see a west end musical and wanted to treat ourselves to a nice hotel and I seen this hotel at a reasonable price but still over £100 for the one night. When we arrived at the hotel the afternoon of the 22/5/12 it was a really hot day and we were greeted at the reception by a nice girl who took our booking confirmation And then gave us a card and said we were in room B5 which was in the basement. I didn't like the sound of that but thought it wouldnt be bad as I paid a reasonable amount so I got in the lift down to the basement to come out and the corridor was full of sacks of duvets the cleaners were using it was like doing an assault course just to get to the room! I opened the door to a TINY room with no air con the window was closed so the room was roasting and the blinds were down and closed at the window i pulled the blinds up to reveal a horrible frosted glass window which I could see a table and two chairs sitting outside which belonged to a studio across the road! I then turned on the tv to find the channels were scrambled and didn't have a signal. I loaded up the hotels website on my phone to see what comes with the room and it did advise it was simple but each room had a tv a telephone iron with iron board and safe. There was no telephone and no iron or iron board and the safe wasn't working so I had to call up to the hotel reception from my own mobile phone to ask if someone could come down and fix the tv and also bring an iron and iron board. A few mins later the door chapped and it was a guy from reception he had a look at the tv and said there wasn't a problem with this! I have a pic of the tv which I'll upload to show this he said something about the tv is attached to the one aerial for the whole hotel but my friend said it wasn't it was because we were in the basement to which he said that wasn't the reason the tv was fine. I also pointed out a weird stain on the bathroom ceiling and asked if we could just be moved room as we weren't happy in this room and I was advised 'the hotel is full I can change you tomorrow' I advised I was there for 1 night only and basically had no other choice but to stay in the room! I went upstairs and outside for a smoke to come back down and find 2 people sitting on the chairs outside the window chatting so I couldn't even open the window so I called back up and asked for the manager to come down and it was the same guy I had the case packed and said we weren't happy we wanted to leave as tbh I prob would have had a better service at a euro hostel for much much cheaper! The manager said to bring our stuff up to the reception and he would get us another room (so they lied to us) the other room was much better but the whole experience in this hotel ruined my birthday (I had a great time at the theatre) but not in this hotel when I got home I was angry and upset due to the fact how much I paid for the room as a treat for my birthday for it to be ruined with the lack of service. I emailed the hotel twice using the contact us on their website to tell them of my experience there and that was around 3 weeks ago and I've still not had a reply!! I'd really recommend spending your money elsewhere like a premier inn or travel lodge you would definitely get a better service there! I'll certainly not be visiting this hotel when I go back to London in the summer with a group from work so it's the hotels loss and another hotels gain I suppose! Shame on you Avni Kensington! I'd honestly give this hotel 0 stars!!! I'll also upload pics of the first room for all to see!!

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Ayrshireguy88

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few days at the end of last year. We had no problems with our entire trip--in fact, the hotel was so quiet that we kept wondering if we were the only people there! Our room wasn't quite ready when we got there (almost two hours before check-in) but the front desk was nice enough to give us a room early. Since we'd been traveling on a sleeper train all night, then sightseeing all morning, it was a relief to put down our luggage in our room and rest a bit before going back out to see what else London had to offer.

The hotel is in converted Kensington row houses, which was cool since it gave a bit of flavor to the exterior of the hotel that I wouldn't have gotten had I stayed in a Holiday Inn or Jurys Inn. The hotel was only a short (3-5 minute) walk to the Gloucester Tube road, which accessed the Circle and District lines, as well as the Picadilly line. We could be to any part of central London in just a few minutes.

The hotel served breakfast--it was simple but filling. There were a variety of pastries, toast, yogurt and cereals available, with coffee, juice and tea. Neither of us are big eaters in the morning, so it was plenty to get us going each morning. The breakfast room is sparsely decorated, but I wasn't too interested in looking at too much (other than my breakfast that is!) in the mornings, so I didn't find this to be a problem.

Our room was basic and the shower was tiny (even by European standards), but for the price, it was just fine. I wanted a room that was in a great location (you can't beat South Ken for safety and convenience) and that wouldn't break the bank. We were on the go constantly during our stay in London, so we really only saw the room at night--in other words, our basic room was clean and comfortable and exactly what we needed. If you're looking for five star accommodations, choose the Ritz, but if you want a fairly priced, clean and quiet room in a great location, the Avni Kensington is your place. I would definitely stay again if we went back to London anytime soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Midland, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We will be in London in June prior to catching a cruise. We wanted a 3 or 4 star hotel and the only definite requirement was that it be air conditioned. Our travel agent did the foot work, came up with several options and we selected the Avni. Everything that the hotel puts out states that the rooms are air conditioned. We booked a non-refundable rate and thought that we were set. But for some reason, I began to dig and read reviews where people stated that the rooms were extremely hot. So our travel agent asked the hotel (again) about the A/C and guess what?? The rooms are NOT air conditioned. Or maybe they have one room that has A/C. She contacted the booking agency for the hotel, they checked with the hotel and sure enough, the hotel admitted that the rooms are not air conditioned. The booking agency refunded our money and we are back to square one looking for a hotel. Long story short - do your research and if A/C is important to you, this is not the hotel that you want. Also, I had sent an email directly to the hotel asking about the A/C and it was never answered.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank grayhog
Taormina, Sicily
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

The apartment is located in Kensington in a quiet street, only 3 minutes walk from the underground. This is its best point. Rooms are very clean, unfortunately they are not so beautiful. The windows are very old and the shower worked not properly. Breakfast was ok, but don't expect much.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the mainstreet and others on the back side. Both side are quiet, street not crowd...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Lucasmus
Portaferry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

I booked a twin room in this hotel through lastminute.com 4 weeks ago only to be given a double with a camp bed stuck up. They had already taken my money for the three nights, otherwise I would have been out of there. When I pointed out the fact that I had asked for a twin they said that it was only a request. (how nice)Did they think I put this on the form just for the fun of it? I was moved the next day from that room to a, hold your breath here Superior twin room !!!!!!! dont make me laugh this one was smaller than the last one. The TV wasnt tuned, the lights didnt work over the sink, the shower door was hanging off and the windows didnt close properly. If you like sleeping rough for £95 a night go ahead. Jim McRoberts Northern Ireland

Room Tip: Look at a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jimmcr
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Small hotel with a small reception area. The rooms and the bathroom are rather small. It`s hard to find a space to open your suitcase. There is no fridge, and no air conditioner, only a small fan.
The complimentary breakfast is very crowded, you have to wait a long time to seat and eat the simple food.
The only good thing is the location. Not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends